Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Untitled FF6 LP mod update 15.05.2013 (New cave and Aurora design)

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
I was working on an unnamed FF6 mod on and off for a while, it's a replacement mod where I'm more or less changing characters to be other ones if I just like them more and have a similar role more or less.

It's purpose is to be used for a Final Fantasy 6 LP, but if anyone is interested, I am willing to make it public.

It's having a reworked story and potentially new events and bosses. (if I can make them work.)

I managed to get levels redesigned, so the overall game could be quite different depending on how different I CAN make it and still have working events.

I don't have any screenshots presently available, but I do have the
team's sprites sorted, and some are being used with credit given.

(This post was being written at 11PM and I'm tired.)

I'll add screenshots and everything else tomorrow morning GMT.

PS: My first post here!

----

This is the basic cast replacement.

Terra - Daryl
Locke - Clyde
Cyan - Byron (recoloured and redesigned Leo.)
Edgar - Aurora (redesigned Celes)
Sabin - Anyssa (redesigned Terra)
Shadow - Arvis
Celes - Rachel
Strago - Banon
Relm - Adult Relm
Setzer - Unchanged (Might redesign.)
Mog - Ultros
Gau - Unchanged
Gogo - Ghestal or 'good' Kefka
Umaro - Chupon

The story behind each character as it stands now.

Daryl was formally an airship racer with Setzer, the two would often race and one day she pushed her luck and Setzer assumed she died in the crash.

She was still alive and she was pulled from the burning wreck by a passerby and she was taken to an Imperial hospital and she was unable to pay her debt, so she was forcibly enlisted in the army.

She was a natural and skilled in battle and as a strategist and quickly rose through the ranks, one day, she was sent on a suicide mission to Narshe to investigate an Esper from the War of the Magi.

There, it killed Wes and Seth (her partners) and she narrowly escaped the blast by fleeing from the magiteck armour, she didn't go far before she blacked out from her injuries.

She was found by Arvis who took her in and upon hearing she wanted out of the Empire, informed her of the Returners and he happened to be one of the scouts for it. *he replaces Shadow.*

However, an Empire loyalist notice a Returner 'kidnapping' a high ranking soldier and reported this, so the Empire was soon on her trail, she escaped while Arvis held them off.

-----

Clyde is a reformed bandit that is hunting for the 'ultimate treasure', an old dream he and Baram talked about before his untimely end after Clyde chickened out and left him for dead.

Basically a rehash of Locke's original role in the story with character involvement between other characters that Clyde/Shadow would have.

----

Byron's mother was a prisoner of war held by the Imperial Army, she was raped and beaten and managed to escape.

On the side of the road, she gave birth to Byron and died not too long afterwards, a passing sentry from Doma noticed Byron and took him in as his own.

He was named Byron and dedicated himself to service his home and never expressed any lasting interest in women and preferred to study strategy and hone his swordsmanship and rose to becoming the King's personal knight.

War between the empire and doma was inevitable and he rallied a squadron to be better prepared, but the empire fought back with strange new powers; assaulted by vicious winds that shook the castle, scorching flames that destroyed all vegetation, and a mighty wave that crashed down on their defences, few survived the onslaught and Byron now leads the remnants against the Empire.

----

Aurora and Anyssa are the princesses of Figaro, long ago, there was much debate over who would succeed their father after his death and the kingdom was split between each princess.

Anyssa was disgusted that her own people would draw arms and hate their fellow countrymen over something so 'silly' and ended up leaving the kingdom to settle the question.

She disguised herself as a commoner and enlisted in the army so that she could be close to her sister and subjects without drawing attention to herself, but war broke out with a neighboring area, and Anyssa was sent to battle.

She saw just how horrific war was and ended up deserting, she was branded a traitor to her country and in leaving her post, caused the death of her platoon save for the squad leader.

She was exiled from Figaro and had no place to go, she ended up finding a cabin with Darius (new Duncan) who trained her in martial arts and allowed her to clear her mind.

Meanwhile, Aurora managed to completely crush the opposing nation and they sank to the bottom of the desert, she had her coronation after repairing the castle.

During this time, they noticed several underground paths that could be traversed and set up proper tunnels between them.

Returning to Anyssa, she used meditation and martial arts to help clear her mind and see what was truly important in life, over the next eight years, she yearned desperately to see her sister and subjects again, but was unable to, so she instead helped them by ensuring monsters never delayed any shipments between the castle and South Figaro and would help anyone in need.

-----

Arvis (as previously stated) is a scout for the Returners and travels the world, looking for any potential members to join their ranks, after the attack on his base in Narshe, he escaped the platoon, but a doberman managed to track him.

He managed to placate the dog with dried meat and slowly, he tamed it to follow his instruction and made his way down to South Figaro, meeting the team. (Daryl, Clyde and Aurora) and explained he was too busy to help them presently because Neoma (his dog) wasn't fully trained yet and might hurt them.

In Figaro, he looked for more potential members, but heard that Doma was in the Empire's sight and could become their target and headed over there, finding Anyssa and Byron, who he managed to convince to join up with the Empire, he lead them to a way back to Figaro before returning to the various towns to scout some more.

However, he coudn't find any more members when he received a messenger pigeon telling him that Narshe was under attack and headed back there. (He takes part in the battle by the way)

Afterwards, he goes in search of new members past Figaro's tunnels where he meets up with the team and offers to help out.

(Normal Shadow role without going too far into the revised story.)

-----

Rachel is half human and half esper, she lived in a small town and when the empire was in the area, noticed her use of magic and her 'monstrous' appearance and took her to South Figaro until they could get in touch with their superiors.

In the dungeon, she was rescued by Clyde.

her role (presently) is a hybrid of Terra's half esper involvement with a civilian background being taken hostage by the empire more or less.

---

Banon is the same Banon of the Returners, however he is a hybrid of the original Strago and Banon and is one of the last natural magic users.

After the Empire attacked the Returners, the order disbanded in order to protect themselves.

Banon then returned to his home with his daughter Relm. (who is now an adult)

Basically the exact same involvement as Strago here on out without talking too much about the exact changes.

And Relm's key difference is that she's an adult.

---

Ultros is one of a great tribe of cave octopi, they adapted through evolution to store water so they can travel over land, though they immensely dislike sunlight and hot areas.

Basically the exact same involvement as Mog.

---

Gau is completely unchanged, though I might make his rage controllable.

---

Gogo is either Ghestal or Kefka.

I considered Kefka rose to power after infusing himself with Esper powers, and to ensure he was powerful enough, he ripped his physical being into 2 parts and embodied all of his 'weaknesses' in one (such as fear, pain, doubts, etc) and just kept all the good ones in himself.

But to ensure his weaker half didnt see the light of day, he hid him in a monster's stomach in a deep labyrinth.

..which the team finds and recruits.

my other idea was for Ghestal to join, who survived the fall and wanted to make Kefka pay.

(basically depends if I can get him working.)

---

Chupon has the exact same role as Umaro, there is almost no story involvement between him normally.

Though I am making enemy Chupon into Umaro or just saying it's another one of the race, while enemy Ultros is just an evil cave octopi.

-edit-
Here's some pictures of the sprites. I don't have anything to really show from the level redesigns yet as I'm just experimenting thus far and want to test before showing them.
[Image: ff6_lp_cast_by_video_boy_mal-d64zjuy.png]

Edit 2- I was talking to a friend and he was helping me understand how modding FF6 works.

I myself am not going to promise an amazingly complex mod because I honestly don't know what my own abilities include, so I'll do more precise planning once I have a better scope.

I recoloured Chupon to be purple nd I think he looks much better now, but before, my Daryl, Ultros and Chupon spritesheet was flawed because it used the last 4 colours in the palette, and yesterday i spent 14 hours fixing up every NPC and the 3 player spritesheets, I need to do some further testing ingame, but I'm sure that everyone works graphically.

Next up on my chopping block is looking at the game text and seeing what I can change, and in playing through the game, seeing first hand just what I can alter visually with the level design.

edit 3 - I remembered the rules saying not to include images as attachments and removed it.

Edit 4 - I'm learning more about the internal side of FF6, I'm still unsure how to change events, but I managed to add in an entirely new cave to the left of Figaro to go over the mountains.

In my testing, I found many workarounds to add in entirely new areas that the player can experience, but if I work on them some more, I should have some screenshots to show before long.

Presently, I was just trying to get something working before making it pretty as the backgrounds are much more advanced than the pokemon ones.

Edit 5 - I'm working on a redesign for Aurora the queen of Figaro, and I came up with a couple of test designs, free tell to tel me which one you like, also, I am thinking of putting in pauldrons with the cape coming in after them, similar to the caped Cyan.
[Image: final_fantasy_6_lp___celes__potential_de...65c3wi.png]

And this is a picture showing the outside of a new area, I personally hated the idea that the CASTLE itself would be moving around, so I'm adding in things like caves to connect the areas.
[Image: final_fantasy_6_lp___kohlingen_cave__ext...659c0y.png]

I didn't show the inside of the cave because I'm remapping quite a few areas and I want them to be a surprise to anyone playing the mod or watching my videos.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Transcendency
lol, the relm sprite is extrain.
  Find