Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Soldier sprites based on FF7 ATB Soldier sprites

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Alright, I finished importing these, and I also fixed the palettes for the recoloured enemies.

For these, I kept the uniform colour the same as the original sprites for each look, so that the soldier is a dark and light brown, the trooper is red with a dark brown, the commando is blue with silver and that the ensign is green with silver.

These should work, I tested by exporting and importing these in another file, and it kept the new palette and (should) have no negative side effects of using these, except for possibly having to reposition the soldiers in the battle formations, I didn't test that yet.

[Image: soldier_by_video_boy_mal-d8vcwmk.png][Image: trooper_by_video_boy_mal-d8vcwmv.png][Image: commando_by_video_boy_mal-d8vcwm5.png][Image: ensign_by_video_boy_mal-d8vcwmd.png]

You are free to use these for anything you want.

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Hrm, now that you mention it, I that might be a tough replacement. The original soldiers are very skinny, this allows them to use... its been awhile I don't remember the number.

Point being, they may be a little wide for direct replacement. Changing which mold that formation uses is simple enough, but I'm not 100% sure you'll be able to put three of them on the battle screen at one time.

Okay, I take part of that back, you'll be able to use four sprites that size, but not during the vanilla magitek armor battles. This would include the flashback of Terra cooking soldiers while Kefka laughs.

Course this all depends on if the sprite IS wider than the old trooper. The general guy holding an axe would be able to do a direct swap though.

Other than that, they look damn nice.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Status
None
I already sorted the formation data, and I was able to fit 4 at once in a battle and even other combinations that had 2 of them with 3 other enemies.

On the whole, I just had to move them 2 or 3 notches on the x and y so there's no conflicts.

IIRC correctly, these are 40x50 when the original are 30x48, so it is larger to the point you need to reposition, but if you're using other monster sprites as well, you'd have to do that anyway. =P

┬──┬ ノ(゜-゜ノ) I return thee table to thy intended position, mankind does not mean to flip you so often.
  Find

Status
Zombie
Long as you accounted for it, but let me clear up my gibberish just for the record.

6 hours sleep + 9 minutes after the alarm - coffee = gibberish

Alright, all this from memory so, correct if needed.

Monster formations are displayed during battle on a 128x128 grid. The original trooper sprite is 64pixel tall and 32pixel wide. The vanilla mold formation that they are normally displayed on allows for three of those plus maybe one other.

The issue I was pointing out, any time magitek armor is used on the party, it takes:
1 PC color palette and a 128 tall by 32 wide pixel strip down the right side of that 128x128 pixel grid.

Meaning if using a monster formation that utilizes the mold set of four 64x64 boxes, (or anything that will tell the game to display that 128x32 strip down the right side will show graphical errors if magitek armor is used.

Not saying there is a problem here, just wanted to state the issue that might arise by making the trooper monster sprite wider without other changes. And attempt to make it understandable in case my last post was beyond gibberish.

Find

Status
None
Oh, you meant if the player had the magitek armour, when you said
Quote: Okay, I take part of that back, you'll be able to use four sprites that
size, but not during the vanilla magitek armor battles. This would
include the flashback of Terra cooking soldiers while Kefka laughs.
I assumed you meant during battles in which the player FOUGHT against Magitek soldiers.

This wouldn't affect me, but its useful to know for anyone who wants to use these sprites and the M-tek armour in battle, so thanks for the head up buddy. ^3^

Find

Status
Zombie
Yeah, I did some heavy digging and a bunch of random button mashing awhile back trying to find a solution to that issue (the Magitek armor graphic glitch) I did figure out the how and why, but I never learned enough about how VRAM is sorted/loaded to actually fix the problem directly. And my random byte changes didn't provide any answers either.

If I could change that 128x32 strip used by mtek graphics and turn it into a 32x128, or four 32x32 chunks scattered it would fix it I think, but again, I be no VRam guru.

Find