Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 style GBA adult Rydia

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Don't ever use MSN Paint for Sprites or mugs, that is just asking for trouble. It's like using pure black for Fire Emblem mugs, you just don't do it. But that is just my 2 cents. If you want a problem that is like MSN Paint use this http://www.zophar.net/utilities/gbagraph/usenti.html I know that is says for use for GBA games, it works just as well for SNES and you have the MSN Paint style and you can see how many colors you are using. For the sprite, it's alright, I'm not a really good spriter myself
  Find

Threads: 4
Status
None
(03-21-2013, 02:13 AM)DarkVee Wrote: Don't ever use MSN Paint for Sprites or mugs, that is just asking for trouble.
Whoa hold on there, lets not just diss MS Paint, the program I'm sure most of us started out on. I'm not saying it's the best, but damned if it isn't reliable. Maybe not the optimal program for color sensitive pieces, but it teaches you to mind your colors without a fancy pants color counting tool. Bah, now I feel old, you younguns and your fancy color indexing and external programs. Back in my day we had to trek 3 miles through snow just to save and image as a PNG.
Now as for the actual sprite sheet.
Love it. No real qualms about it other than what I would say about ff6 style in general. I'm actually a bit curious as to why you didn't reuse that lightest green from her sleeves anywhere else? Its seems like it would make her "pop" a bit more.
  Find

Threads: 6
Status
None
(03-21-2013, 03:39 AM)Dr.Blank Wrote: you younguns and your fancy color indexing and external programs. Back in my day we had to trek 3 miles through snow just to save and image as a PNG.

GET OFF MY LAWN Cover Hit
  Find

Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
I hate to be the bearer of bad news b1llygo4t, but I just took a look at your sprite sheet and you will run into some issues with the colours. The last four colour slots on the palette are reserved for NPCs, so when you use this sprite in battle you will find that Rydia's hair ornament will change colours depending on the enemy palettes (I think, it could be the background palette, but either way it's bad.)

You could remedy this by simplifying her hairpin to be only two colours like white and light pink or something. At least that issue is not a difficult one to fix.
  Find

Threads: 3
Status
None
(03-21-2013, 03:39 AM)Dr.Blank Wrote: Love it. No real qualms about it other than what I would say about ff6 style in general. I'm actually a bit curious as to why you didn't reuse that lightest green from her sleeves anywhere else? Its seems like it would make her "pop" a bit more.
MSpaint is awesome! it's like anything old, you actually have to know what your doing. apparently some pallet restrictions will force me to make her pop even less. I actually already removed one like color, that light green may be next. I tried to keep with the FF4 style tradition. that lightest green is also used in her shoes.
see ghost XIII's post.

(03-21-2013, 04:51 PM)Ghost XIII Wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news b1llygo4t,...
So the last 4 colors of the pallet will be replaced on a need to basis? is there any way to know what colors will be used? my idea is to use black and white colors from the npc palettes on my character spritesheet for "eye white" and "outline black". does that make sense? possible? I have not looked. doing that would mess up any other sprites i assign to my palette though because of the color order huh?

from what i remember i am only using 15 colors.

can someone link me how to use the extra palette? i read that i can assign an unused palette to a sprite via hex. could this be a work around for my issue?
  Find

Threads: 33
Status
None
I will agreed with DarkVee NEVER Use MS paint unless you are doing bases (like I do on DA) or collaging pics.

I will recommend some programs: GraphicsGale (for the sprite portraits like my Relm portrait for example..) and then Use GIMP to index the pic

Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
Here I am not getting back to you till a month later, I need to be around these boards a bit more often.
b1llygo4t Wrote:So the last 4 colors of the pallet will be replaced on a need to basis? is there any way to know what colors will be used? my idea is to use black and white colors from the npc palettes on my character spritesheet for "eye white" and "outline black". does that make sense? possible? I have not looked. doing that would mess up any other sprites i assign to my palette though because of the color order huh?
To answer your question as fully as possible, when you create a custom palette for a sprite, you should be conscious of two things: 1) Keeping things clean so they can be used in other hacks with ease, and 2) being conscious of how changing a palette will affect all other sprites which might use that palette. Every palette used for PCs/NPCs is 16 colours, and are in a particular order which is:
Slot 1: Transparent
Slot 2: Black (For outlines, etc.)
Slot 3: White (Whites of eyes, etc.)
Slot 4: Eye Colour
Slot 5: Hair Colour (Light)
Slot 6: Hair Colour (Dark)
Slot 7: Skin Tone (Light)
Slot 8: Skin Tone (Dark)
Slot 9: Clothes Colour 1 (Light) ]-Often 1 & 2 are similar in tone
Slot 10: Clothes Colour 2 (Dark)]
Slot 11: Clothes Colour 3 (Light)}- Often 3 & 4 are similar in tone
Slot 12: Clothes Colour 4 (Dark) }
Slot 13: NPC colour] - These last 4 colours cannot be used for your player characters
Slot 14: NPC colour] they do not appear properly in battle and will constantly be
Slot 15: NPC colour] shifting hues depending on the background or monsters in any
Slot 16: NPC colour] given battle. These are for NPCs who do not appear in battle only.

You can deviate from this order if you would like, but the end result will be a messy palette that will most likely be unusable for any other characters or NPCs, and when you only have 6 palettes to chose from every one of them counts. Since all palettes follow this formula if you chose to deviate from it the most likely outcome from a different sprite using an out of order palette will be a messy, incomprehensible blob and your quality work will go unappreciated.

So being the bearer of badnews on this one, you will need to go back and simplify the colour selections on your Rydia sprite. Fortunately that's not as bad as having to redo the entire thing, worst case is you still have very good outline of all your frames. Also if you are doing this for your own custom mod you can cheat the colour selections a bit as long as you know what you're doing (save for using the last 4 slots, they are right out as any possibility for a PC sprite, sadly.) I hope that wasn't too repetative, I'm not talking down to you I'm just trying to be as clear as possible.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ghost XIII for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (05-02-2017)

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
ghost u just did my job for me, you have nothing to feel bad about, the rules and advice are up and we constantly tell people the rules and what order the colors should be

if they choose to not follow them and they get trashed/flamed/what ever the kids wanna call it these days

its their own damn fault, I'm not trying 2 come off like an ass, but u have to understand, we admins have to repeat ourselves on a daily basis, so its frustrating to say the least lol

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 3
Status
None
Hi there. The other day I remembered I left this job half finished and I would like to get it done with. I could use a little help if you guys don't mind. Its been a while so I'm a bit rusty on things.

My goals are;

1) finish all sprites (95%)
2) Stay as faithful to the original ff4 sheet as possible
3) find a vanilla ff6 pallet that fits this sheet as close as possible. I imagine I'll end up with three sprite sheet pallets; ff2snes, ff4gba and ff3snes

I did some lurking, I noticed there is an expanded pallet patch. what is everyone's opinion on this? currently this sheet uses more colors than ff3 vanilla, so as i understand it will work with the patch. should i make copies for both patched as is and a redux for vanilla?

will someone check for errors? give recommendations?

can someone recommend a vanilla pallet that closely matches? is there a list of which sprites use which pallets? Im pretty sure my colors arent in the correct order to match other sprites.

I dont know which direction i should go in here, someone please hold my hand
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Hi there. I myself am not good at answering anything to do with spriting, and the expanded palette patch will not work with my hack so I can't give you an opinion on it either... but it sure sounds awesome, I've always wanted to have it applied because who wouldn't want to be able to use the last 4 colors? Sounds like it's exactly what you'd want to have for your sheet that uses more colors. Maybe make 2 version, sure, for those who don't/can't use the patch. Makes sense.

What kind of errors and recommendations did you have in mind? Sorry for not following. You mean with the palette patch? It seems to work fine according to people who've used it, I just can't due to conflictions with other code, sadly. I would recommend it highly though besides that.

It seems your question/concern about palette order was already addressed earlier in this thread, unless I'm misunderstanding the latest one(s). There might be a list of what character uses what palette, but it's just as easy to open up FF3usME and check, then document them all if need be.

I apologize for my spriting incompetence in order to help more, other members could most likely answer better than I but I figured I'd chime in the best I can. Though, I don't know how much help others can be outside of all that was mentioned in this thread, looks to me like it's going to fall into your hands now to make decisions regarding your edits and keep up the progress.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.