Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 style GBA adult Rydia

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
By stats do you guys mean sprites? I don't see how using MSPaint would effect your characters stats.

If you read that tutorial it explains how to put the pallet colors in the right order so your sprites display correctly...

::EDIT:: which of these looks better? opinions? its for her dead sprite. I like the one on the right more but I don't think it quite works, like the perspective is off. almost all of the other dead sprites in the game are heads pointed down. the one on the left is a quick edit of Terrah's sprite.

[Image: 30bh5yf.png] [Image: ojkm78.png]
  Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 6
Status
None
Just having some jokes man. Use whatever program you are most comfortable with. As long as you keep your palettes in order you'll be fine, and be sure to keep backups if you are altering any files you particularly care about.

Also I do like the one on the right more, but it does look a bit off perspective wise. If you're really committed to using that one you could just try to smoosh it in a few pixels and it will probably look better. That being said the one on the left looks good too.
  Find

Status
None
[Image: b1llygo4t-ff4-adult-rydia.png]

Well here is my progress so far. opinions? suggestions? all I have left is hanging her head pose. I'm not too happy with her "odd" face or her dead on the map(obvious Terra rip) sprites so I might change those up. do you think the movement for the riding sprite is to much? I have another set of sprites I might use. Is her shadow too much?

I used the GBA sprite sheet because it was more complete than the SNES ones I could find at the time, so it has brighter colors. I'll have a SNES palette version soon, which should clash with FF6 less. I left the original sprites as untouched as the FF6 sprite system will allow, the rest are all custom, of course taking influence from Terra and Celes. I always imagined Rydia was short with high heels, so if you notice her face is a lil higher than others, which posed a problem with her "odd" and "eyes closed" sprites. I also always thought she had a generally good mood, so she doesn't look all sad like Terra and Relm do.

Much thanks to Lord Sutubenu and DjinnandTonic for that tutorial. made things a hell of a lot easier for this noob. The PNG pallet quantizer I posted earlier in the thread worked like a charm for restricting my palette, I suggest anyone doing sprites to check it out

-MSPaint 4 life
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
(03-19-2013, 08:58 AM)b1llygo4t Wrote: [Image: b1llygo4t-ff4-adult-rydia.png]

Well here is my progress so far. opinions? suggestions? all I have left is hanging her head pose. I'm not too happy with her "odd" face or her dead on the map(obvious Terra rip) sprites so I might change those up. do you think the movement for the riding sprite is to much? I have another set of sprites I might use. Is her shadow too much?

I used the GBA sprite sheet because it was more complete than the SNES ones I could find at the time, so it has brighter colors. I'll have a SNES palette version soon, which should clash with FF6 less. I left the original sprites as untouched as the FF6 sprite system will allow, the rest are all custom, of course taking influence from Terra and Celes. I always imagined Rydia was short with high heels, so if you notice her face is a lil higher than others, which posed a problem with her "odd" and "eyes closed" sprites. I also always thought she had a generally good mood, so she doesn't look all sad like Terra and Relm do.

Much thanks to Lord Sutubenu and DjinnandTonic for that tutorial. made things a hell of a lot easier for this noob. The PNG pallet quantizer I posted earlier in the thread worked like a charm for restricting my palette, I suggest anyone doing sprites to check it out

-MSPaint 4 life

I'll take a line from Dick Vitale, That looks awesome baby, with a capital A!

One more thing...what do the tools you mentioned in this tutorial do as far as palletes go?
  Find

Status
None
Thanks for the compliment!

http://www.lemoda.net/png/quantize/index.cgi
is an online .PNG quantizer. you have to upload your image somewhere and paste the link in the quantizer. It allows you to set the number of colors in your palette. if your image has more colors than you chose it will quantize the image and adjust low use color occurrences to a similar color that is used more often until the image will "fit" in the palette limit you chose. TL;DR it will fix your palette size and get rid of stray colors.

http://pixlr.com/editor/
The other link is a feature rich image editor that runs solely in your internet browser. you can do masks and layers like Gimp and PS can. It's comparable to the two, but it can't edit palettes. something I stumbled across searching for the quantizer.

now you can sprite at work without installing anything.

here is an example of a 256 color .png quantized down to 16 colors.

before:
[Image: 280px-PNG_transparency_demonstration_1.png]
and after:

[Image: w1q5OKD.png]
that image could be resized and used in ff6 now. it went from 256 down to 16 is why it looks like crud. (1st image linked from the Wikipedia article for Portable Network Graphics)
  Find

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Traitor
The gimp does that too by indexing the colors.
  Find

Threads: 6
Status
None
(03-14-2013, 06:02 AM)b1llygo4t Wrote: which of these looks better? opinions? its for her dead sprite. I like the one on the right more but I don't think it quite works, like the perspective is off. almost all of the other dead sprites in the game are heads pointed down. the one on the left is a quick edit of Terrah's sprite.

[Image: 30bh5yf.png] [Image: ojkm78.png]

To be honest, I like the one on the right better too, but I think that inverting it vertically would work to help give it that "top-down" feel, along with angling her face that direction too. Just a thought.
  Find

Status
None
@Zeemis:: Gimp uses dithering when indexing, which leaves the image all speckled. you need plugins to do quantization. It's been quite a while since I used Gimp, so it may have changed, but try it for yourself with that image above and you should see the difference.

@Capt. Catchphrase:: I didn't think of that, I'll give it a shot.
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
I think that's an older version of GIMP that does that, I just recently started using it again after a long hiatus and am personally amazed at how far it has come in that times in regards of features and stability. I use it for indexing the colours on my sprite sheets and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.
  Find

Status
None
I'll have to give it another try, then =]

This has gone way off topic, what do ya think of the sprite sheet?
  Find