Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 "Choose your own Adventure" style

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Here's the opening cutscene to the hack. Enjoy! And read the description after watching (not before).
http://youtu.be/kXV0mJPoxd8

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
So...freaking...awesome!!! My interest and excitement for this project just went up about 80%. I mean, I knew you were capable of this, but damn lol. Very impressive work sir. A true sequel it looks to be.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Wow. This is really good stuff! Your eventing skills are impressive. I want to answer the questions in your description here:

Lockirby2 Wrote:-Was everything clear to you while watching? At least before reading the description? If not, do you have any suggestions to make it more understandable?
Actually, you did a very good job setting up the premise in my mind. It took me about 2 sections to realize the scenes were playing in reverse order, and from there I think it built the anticipation. Well done.

Lockirby2 Wrote:-In Gau's cutscene, do you think I need to write "(translation)" somewhere in order to make it more apparent that he's speaking wolf language (and much better than English, too)?

Yes. I didn't even know that's what he was doing. Since you are using Lone Wolf's sprite there (who talks perfect english) I assumed they were talking English and was a little put off by Gau's grasp of the language. As a suggestion, maybe starting each dialog window with:

*Grrrrr, Rowur!*
(translation here(in parentheses!))

It will use up a bit more dialog space, but it will be a little more clear. And one more little thing (but might add to the flavor), Wolves use a lot of body language, so spicing up both character's movements might add that wild twist and feel less like a simple conversation.

Lockirby2 Wrote:-Did reusing that cutscene at the end of Cyan's portion seem creative or lazy?

I totally forgot about the scene myself, but it's a good scene. As long as it sets up what you want to do with Cyan, then keep it by all means.

Lockirby2 Wrote:-Did Shadow's part being framed as a Dying Dream seem out of place/give too much focus to Shadow, or did it spice things up? If I remove it, I can probably reuse the scenes elsewhere, or even give them away to other people who might want them.

The length of Shadow's segment really outweighed everyone elses which really broke up the flow of what you were trying to accomplish (the reverse time thing for each character). I think something a bit shorter would probably be better. However, I very much liked the style, and your take on the scene with Baram was excellent. I've got a lot of personal theories about the Clyde/Baram story.

Lockirby2 Wrote:-Okay, here's the big one...how's the dialogue? That is probably not my strong suit, but for all I know, it might sound okay (and I get the feeling that it was slightly better towards the end). Particularly "A behemoth! Let's go! Urghhh" sounds pretty bad, but there are some other lines that seem awkward as well. I decided to release the video without fixing that first because I finally wanted something to show for this project. Keep in mind that I'm trying to replicate FF6's style of dialogue as much as I can. Does anybody have any general tips on how to improve my writing?

I can't really help much here. It did sound a little clumsy at times, but that's also primary due to the scene with Gau that I didn't understand. Luckily, for my hack I'm getting my brother (who makes a living as a writer) to do all my dialog.

Lockirby2 Wrote:Anything else you have to say would be greatly appreciated as well.

This is a really cool idea for a hack and I am very much looking forward to it. I actually did notice that Mog, Umaro, and Gogo were missing before I read the description and figured they were being replaced. Oh, and I don't know if "Sidequil" is a real phrase or not, but I have personally coined the phrase "Requil" for this kind of story. In fact, my hack will be a type of requil.

Keep up the great work. Thank you for sharing you talents.

Happy Hacking.
  Find

Status
Double
(08-10-2013, 09:10 PM)Edrin Wrote: Actually, you did a very good job setting up the premise in my mind. It took me about 2 sections to realize the scenes were playing in reverse order, and from there I think it built the anticipation. Well done.

Thank goodness for that. 0:-) The other problems are more easily fixed, but I was really worried that the cutscene itself wouldn't make sense at all.

(08-10-2013, 09:10 PM)Edrin Wrote: Yes. I didn't even know that's what he was doing. Since you are using Lone Wolf's sprite there (who talks perfect english) I assumed they were talking English and was a little put off by Gau's grasp of the language. As a suggestion, maybe starting each dialog window with:

*Grrrrr, Rowur!*
(translation here(in parentheses!))

It will use up a bit more dialog space, but it will be a little more clear. And one more little thing (but might add to the flavor), Wolves use a lot of body language, so spicing up both character's movements might add that wild twist and feel less like a simple conversation.

I figured that it would have to be something like that, but I decided to at least give it a go this way to see if it worked out. That will definitely need to be fixed then. Thanks for letting me know.

I'll try to add some more hops and spins between dialogue boxes. I tried to give some feeling of body language, but I was slightly more successful with Gau (who has more poses to work with, like the blinking), and I guess I somewhat missed the mark with the wolf.

(08-10-2013, 09:10 PM)Edrin Wrote: The length of Shadow's segment really outweighed everyone elses which really broke up the flow of what you were trying to accomplish (the reverse time thing for each character). I think something a bit shorter would probably be better. However, I very much liked the style, and your take on the scene with Baram was excellent. I've got a lot of personal theories about the Clyde/Baram story.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize just how long this would be until it was close to complete. I feel it would be difficult to explain any of these scenes in a great deal less space, and I worry removing a scene may eliminate the feeling of travelling back through his memories. I think I'll just scrap the idea entirely and reuse the events somewhere else. Unless somebody else has a good home for them in a similar place in their own hack?

(08-10-2013, 09:10 PM)Edrin Wrote: I can't really help much here. It did sound a little clumsy at times, but that's also primary due to the scene with Gau that I didn't understand. Luckily, for my hack I'm getting my brother (who makes a living as a writer) to do all my dialog.

I guess I'll do the hack with my own writing first, just to get the gist of what I want to say down there. Then I can hopefully have a more competent writer check it over and fix stuff after the events are complete (which is a long time down the road, anyways).

(08-10-2013, 09:10 PM)Edrin Wrote: This is a really cool idea for a hack and I am very much looking forward to it. I actually did notice that Mog, Umaro, and Gogo were missing before I read the description and figured they were being replaced. Oh, and I don't know if "Sidequil" is a real phrase or not, but I have personally coined the phrase "Requil" for this kind of story. In fact, my hack will be a type of requil.

Keep up the great work. Thank you for sharing you talents.

Happy Hacking.

Thanks for all the great feedback! I'm glad to not be in the dark on how others see the cutscene now. It's easy to get caught up in what you're doing and not be able to tell if it makes sense or not anymore.

Oh, and when you need some events for the 15th Man project, I will probably be available to make some of them if need be. I won't be able to help with all the events, but I will try to contribute something. Smile

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Obliviscence
(08-10-2013, 10:40 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I'll try to add some more hops and spins between dialogue boxes. I tried to give some feeling of body language, but I was slightly more successful with Gau (who has more poses to work with, like the blinking), and I guess I somewhat missed the mark with the wolf.
I was thinking something a little less animated actually. Like the wolf making a long semi-circle around Gau while the dialog is taking place. I think the slow constant movements make him a little more intimidating. I'm a big fan of actions during dialog.

(08-10-2013, 10:40 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Unfortunately, I didn't realize just how long this would be until it was close to complete. I feel it would be difficult to explain any of these scenes in a great deal less space, and I worry removing a scene may eliminate the feeling of travelling back through his memories. I think I'll just scrap the idea entirely and reuse the events somewhere else. Unless somebody else has a good home for them in a similar place in their own hack?
Actually could you PM me a copy of the code and "disassembly" for the event at the waterfall?

(08-10-2013, 10:40 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: I guess I'll do the hack with my own writing first, just to get the gist of what I want to say down there. Then I can hopefully have a more competent writer check it over and fix stuff after the events are complete (which is a long time down the road, anyways).
That's actually a really good idea. There are a handful of good writers on the site and all they would need to do really is tweak.

(08-10-2013, 10:40 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: Oh, and when you need some events for the 15th Man project, I will probably be available to make some of them if need be. I won't be able to help with all the events, but I will try to contribute something. Smile
I appreciate it! You have been really involved in the project and it makes a big difference.
  Find

Threads: 14
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
None
Hmmm, sounds good I like it. Hoping to see a small demo sometime.
I just want a confirmation, the choices you make in this hack change the gameplay, am I right ? :p

[Image: kung_ku.png]
  Find

Status
Double
The choices you make will heavily influence the gameplay. It will affect which bosses you fight, what equipment you get, what dungeons you go through, etc.

Don't be expecting a demo or anything for a ridiculously long time, though.

Confused Moogles FTW

Status
Obliviscence
(08-22-2013, 12:41 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: The choices you make will heavily influence the gameplay. It will affect which bosses you fight, what equipment you get, what dungeons you go through, etc.

This sounds epic.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
How goes the progress on this Lockirby? Watching the opening cutscene video again here, I have to ask!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
2 years without any update about this project, did kirby kill it off/let it die? :c seemed interesting.
  Find