Adding More Total Songs

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Title:: How to Add More Total Songs
Author:: Gi Nattak
Description:: This will show you how to add more songs into FF6 ROM.

There are normally 85 (55 in hex) total song entries in FF6 ROM. This can be edited to have up to *120 songs. For music hackers who have lots of extra songs to use and place throughout the game, and have ran out of room to insert them, this is truly a great thing!

The first thing to do is relocate the table of sample indexes for each song (the instruments) from C5/3F95 - C5/4A34 (no header) to any other place where there is more space, I recommend one of the expanded F banks - just make sure that USME is not using the bank for something else in 'manage expanded ROM' or it will be overwritten upon saving in USME and will freeze the ROM when any song is set to play.

The next step is to change the code at: C5/01E2: BF953FC5 to the new address of the instruments. So if your relocated instruments are at FE/FE00, you would put BF00FEFE.

The last thing to do is to change the code for the maximum number of songs here:

Data: Number of songs
C5/3C5E: 55

So if you add 1 song it would go to 56. Two songs added would make it 57. Five songs added would be 5A, and so on and so on. Make sure you change this every time you add a song, or risk forgetting how many songs you've added. That's it!

Just add on to the pointer table at C5/3E96 any new song pointers.
The original instrument samples are right under the song pointers, so you can erase all that and/or overwrite it to make room for the additional song pointers.

Other things to note:

- Be warned, doing this process will render JCE3000GT's SPC Editor useless, so you will have to manually change the instrument samples from now on, which is no biggie if you know what you're doing. Check here for info on instruments: https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...ic+hacking
(I will miss you SPC Editor! We had some great times <3)

- The level editor actually has spots for extra song samples after the used ones that can be used there on the maps.

Credits:
Bank C5 disassembly, by Lenophis and Evil Peer

* There can actually be up to 254 songs (FE), but they will need to be played with the EF or F1 play song commands and they will have issues if a tent or save point is used - they will revert to whatever the last song under 121 was if a game is loaded or after the sleeping/tent song, you see. And also if used for battle songs, will reset the map song back to the beginning afterwords instead of having it play where it left off, like it normally should. So just a heads up about that. With careful management though (and a lot of tedious work) you can put map and battle songs in the 'normal' range and move all other ones that are played only during events with no save points to the extra expanded range.

In order to use EF or F1, first you must change to values here to FF. normally they are 7F:

Play song xx, volume yy
(gen. act. EF)

C0/B7AA:    A5EB        LDA $EB    
C0/B7AC:    29FF        AND #$FF

Fade in song xx with speed yy (higher == slower)
(gen. act. F1)

C0/B7D4:    A5EB        LDA $EB    
C0/B7D6:    29FF        AND #$FF

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Angelo26 (01-25-2013), DenVaktare (11-04-2017), h.carrell (02-17-2022), Joseph Collins (05-24-2015), Kusanagi_999 (10-26-2020), PowerPanda (05-12-2021)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Another nice tutorial! It will be very helpful for my hack!
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
While this is amazing and I would surely love to use it, I have some questions. Do the options for the new songs show in any of the editors (I would assume not, but Idk how they work)? And if not, do I need to create an event everytime I want a custom song to play? Like for instance a custom boss battle using a different song than listed?
Hopefully I worded that right Tongue

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-07-2014, 11:37 AM)Royaken Wrote: While this is amazing and I would surely love to use it, I have some questions. Do the options for the new songs show in any of the editors (I would assume not, but Idk how they work)? And if not, do I need to create an event everytime I want a custom song to play? Like for instance a custom boss battle using a different song than listed?

You can play a song in a event with event commands EF or F0, but it is used for maps.

As for the songs played during battle, they are set in this table. You could change an entry and set the correct song in the formation with FF3usME. I think you could also add entries, but it would require more modifications to the code:

Code:
C2/BF3B: 24 (Battle Theme)
C2/BF3C: 14 (Boss Theme)      
C2/BF3D: 33 (Atma Weapon)
C2/BF3E: 2E (Returner)        
C2/BF3F: 1A (Factory)          
C2/BF40: 3B (Final)          
C2/BF41: FF (current 1)
C2/BF42: FF (current 2)

That or you can make randomness :P https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=2457
  Find

Status
None
(05-07-2014, 12:28 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
Code:
C2/BF3B: 24 (Battle Theme)
C2/BF3C: 14 (Boss Theme)      
C2/BF3D: 33 (Atma Weapon)
C2/BF3E: 2E (Returner)        
C2/BF3F: 1A (Factory)          
C2/BF40: 3B (Final)          
C2/BF41: FF (current 1)
C2/BF42: FF (current 2)

That or you can make randomness Tongue https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showth...p?tid=2457

Thanx Mad! Looking at this I am seeing Returner and Factory. I can't actually recall when those are used for battle songs. So If I wanted to change those, what would I do? Would I change those 2 songs to the ones I want, and then re-add Returner and Factory in my expanded msucis and change the map data that uses those to point there? I'm probably making this more complex then it needs to be. lol

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-07-2014, 03:11 PM)Royaken Wrote: Would I change those 2 songs to the ones I want, and then re-add Returner and Factory in my expanded msucis and change the map data that uses those to point there? I'm probably making this more complex then it needs to be.

These are song IDs that formations can use. I think you could use the last entry because I believe it is a dummy entry. You will have to check that no formation except the one you want use this entry.

If you add a new song, write 55 instead of FF and check the checkbox in FF3usME for the formation(s) to use your song.
  Find

Status
None
(05-07-2014, 04:09 PM)Madsiur Wrote: These are song IDs that formations can use. I think you could use the last entry because I believe it is a dummy entry. You will have to check that no formation except the one you want use this entry.

If you add a new song, write 55 instead of FF and check the checkbox in FF3usME for the formation(s) to use your song.

Alright, makes sense. So basically this also means that if I don't see any fights that use Returner, I can replace the number for that one too like 56?

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(05-07-2014, 05:24 PM)Royaken Wrote: So basically this also means that if I don't see any fights that use Returner, I can replace the number for that one too like 56?

Yes, you could. But if it's there, it's probably because it is used somewhere.
  Find

Status
None
(05-07-2014, 05:28 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 05:24 PM)Royaken Wrote: So basically this also means that if I don't see any fights that use Returner, I can replace the number for that one too like 56?

Yes, you could. But if it's there, it's probably because it is used somewhere.

True. I'll look it over. Thanx Mad

Find

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hello Sirs/Madams I have asking about change the song in(the code at: C5/01E2: BF953FC5)what are the new address of the instruments to change this code!? I don't understand could anyone example this?
sorry guys I really confused.....Sad
  Find