Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Changing the 'Roulette' Lore

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Is it possible to alter the animation of this spell and change what it does? I've set it up in FF3usME to use the Grav Bomb's animation, and changed all of the targetting and the such so that it is a single target spell selectable by the player, but when cast, it still just shows the pointer that randomly selects a targettable object during battle.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is this: Get rid of Roulette (it's garbage) and change it to a spell that takes on the same functionality as Cyan's Empowerer. It's basically a spell that combines Drain and Osmose together, but I can't seem to get it to work properly. I need to know if I'm doing something wrong, or Roulette is one of those special spells that has all of its functions hardcoded due to its nature.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Nothing seems to be hardcoded in for Roulette. Are you setting the special effect at the top to the same as Empowerer?

Here's how I was able to get it to work: http://synchysi.firefish.org/img/roulette.png

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
(11-24-2012, 10:58 PM)Synchysi Wrote: Nothing seems to be hardcoded in for Roulette. Are you setting the special effect at the top to the same as Empowerer?

Here's how I was able to get it to work: http://synchysi.firefish.org/img/roulette.png

Here's how I have mine:

http://imgur.com/xhhTj

EDIT: After casting it with Strago, I can confirm that it works, but it doesn't appear to work correctly for monsters that cast it. >.<

Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 40
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
Roulette cast by enemies actually is hard coded. It's a different spell than the Lore Roulette. To modify that one you'd have to dive into the assembly.

You can probably just change the pointer for enemy Roulette to jump to Empowerer instead.

GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

Brave New World
  Find

Status
None
I see, thanks for the clarification.
  Find

Threads: 11
Status
None
Just to chime in. you could look up which enemies use Roulette and edit there script to use a different spell. FF3usme makes changing enemies AI spells easy. doesn't seem like many would have it so will only have to change a few.
  Find

Status
None
Yep, but then the only way I can get Strago to learn it is to give it to him innately.
  Find

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 47
Status
None
Today, is a winter day of victory, fellow heroes.

I was having this problem too, and the thing is, the correct area to look isn't described in the C2 bank text file.

But!!!! Master Zed has already made a patch for this. And he of course, in his patch, described the code, and has the ever-elegant solution of changing one line of code---from branch to always branch:

Original Code
-----------------
C2/03B9: 08 PHP ;Save the status of the flag register...
C2/03BA: C2 20 REP #$20 ;and change the accumulator to 16-bit.
C2/03BC: C9 0C 8C CMP #$8C0C ;Check to see if the enemy is using Roulette.
C2/03BF: D0 03 BNE $03C4 ;If not, branch past the next opcode.
C2/03C1: A9 1E 8C LDA #$8C1E ;Change Roulette to enemy Roulette.
C2/03C4: 28 PLP ;Restore the flag register's previous status.
C2/03C5: 60 RTS ;Exit subroutine.

Solution
----------
$C2/03BF 80 03 BRA $03C4 ;Always branch, or never change Roulette.

Every hacker would want to know this as it completes the ability to have Strago full of custom lores.

Someone should put this in whatever shared C2 file is being edited nowadays.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to ReturnerScum for this post:
  • DrakeyC (03-08-2016)