Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Riddle me this, a sprite malfunction

Status
None
I used FF3usME to swap in a couple of sprites, most of them worked out fine with no problems I have two others though (loaded on Edgar and Cyan) that seem to enjoy changing color in battle, depending on what slot they sit in.

First slot, the effected pixels turn a blueish grey. 2nd slot I get yellow/green. The third slot lets them turn a light brownish, and the bottom slot? Some kinda neon green...

Now, only those two have this issue, only in battle, and only a few pixels, not like a whole palette swap. When I imported them with FF3usME I didn't import either palette, I changed the sprite to fit the palette already in use and JUST changed the sprite.

Anybody ran into this before and remember how you fixed it?

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
What is happening is that the sprites you imported use at least one of the last four colors of the palette. Only the first 12 colors are imported into battle, the rest of the space in the RAM that would normally go to those colors goes instead to static values used for the palettes of the additional sprites on the screen, such as the little pointy finger, damage and healing numerals, etc... Bottom line, characters used in battle can only use the first 12 colors in the palette.

That being said, I am looking into making a patch that would allow all 16 colors to be used, but I wouldn't expect anything soon, getting into all of the display stuff is making my head spin a little and is a totally different ball game than what I have been working on thus far. For the time being, at least, you need to edit your custom characters.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to B-Run for this post:
  • Morendo (01-03-2020)

Status
None
Figured it was something along those lines, specially considering it seems most stock sprites only use... What about 7 or 8 colors?

On another note, why is it not possiable to load say the portrait palette for battle/world? Im sure its way more impossable than it sounds, else Id think someone to already done it. Is it just a matter of space required in memory to load an extra palette or more a matter of space to tell it how to get over to other palettes.
Oh, or my favorite answer, it would require an act by the gods of hex to accomplish such a task.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
I am no expert with sprites, but I believe only 12 colors can be used for them. The last 4 are reserved for something else.

This question has been asked several times in the past, take a look at the forums and how to color sprites.

Status
None
Yeah, got the problem fixed now. The 12 colors was not so much the problem as was the part about using the last four. Must have skipped that part of the sprite tutorial.

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
It's not that the Battle palettes don't have those last 4 colors... they do, but the game only loads the first 12 into RAM for use, and there isn't additional space at this point to tell it to load all 16 colors. I've pointed the battle palette loader at the overworld palettes. It will work exactly the same way, only 12 colors.
  Find

Status
None
The reason I ask about was it possible to load other palettes would be to give each character a custom palette instead of trying to load a custom sprite and make it fit a palette ment for three other sprites, like portraits have. I think Ive looked at where that would be done but didnt look hard enough to actually read it. Just wondering if there was any major issues with say, making Edgar use battle palette 0 for overworld and battle then giving sabin overworld palette 0 for both his, battle and overworld, before I added it to my "to research" list.

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None

Is there a solution to this problem besides finding different sprites to use? My Celes and Setzer sprites look greenish in combat, and I've had enough trouble with sprites and colors. I'm trying to figure it all out in my head, but it just makes my brain hurt. Trying to convert 256 color stuff in potoshop is a pain in my buttox, and I don't want to do it anymore.

Find

Status
None
Personally I've been using Gimp and GraphicGale (Hate GraphicsGale but I don't know how to import indexed palette to a picture with Gimp) Anyway, never had to much problem converting over to a usable sprite. Never used Photoshop so I have no clue how hard it is there.

Unless your talking about having to edit a few parts bit by bit and, well thats just to be expected when converting vs creating.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
the best way to edit the sprite palettes is to use FF3USME or the relm editor

that being said they offer you the ability to edit both over world and battle palettes respectively

(u can use FF3SE but the problem with that is once u edit either of the palettes, both will change, for example if u edit over world pal 0 the battle pal 0 will be changed as well just FYI)

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC