Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Chrono Trigger in FF6?

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
Hello again! Wow, 3 threads in 2 days and 2 of them completed so far! This is the best site EVER! I was always doing it solo till I found this place xD. Now I'm making so much progress! Anyway, here goes my 3rd topic!

I would like to import some CT music into FF6 which I have seen is possible like Metroidquests Singing Mountain for MT Koltz. But, unless I'm blind, the only tutorials I've found here tell you how to change instruments. Not how to import music. I specifically want Ocean Palace from CT over the Floating Continent in FF6, Magus Battle from CT over The Fierce Battle in FF6, Crono's Theme from CT over Save Them, 2300 AD from CT over World of Ruin in FF6, Frog's theme from CT over Locke's theme in FF6, and finally Black Omen from CT over Last dungeon in FF6.

If this is FAR to much to ask of anyone then by all means PLEASE point me in the right direction on exactly how to import these songs myself.

I appreciate the help ahead of time as always. Thank you so much!

Roy-boy
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
there's a music hacking tutorial on this site, but what you want to do sounds like SPC injection, because the games music engine is so similar and there is no need to compose it, but you must learn how to hex edit and the songs are documented here on this site, for both FFVI and CT. They share the same SPC engine so you would need to replace the song data and change some commands around. But, it's not -that- easy, especially without knowing anything about hex.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
Chrono Trigger and andd FFVI have a similar SPC core although CT's SCP core is a bit more advanced than FFVI. The hex values for the rests, octave changes and notes are the same. The are some commands that are different though but I never imported a song from Chrono Trigger. The offsets of the songs in CT can be found in this thread.

So you could find the offset of your song in the CT ROM and copy the data in FFVI using any hex editor that has a copy/paste feature (not WindHex).
Then you have to adjust the 18 channel pointers and change the commands that are different from the two SPC core.

The next step is changing the instruments. There is an utility to switch instruments (found here), but that doesn't change the BRR samples if you need/want to. The rest of the job is tweaking the song so it sound really close to the original.

There is no magic trick to import a song and you will learn with experience and will have to try different things to tweak the song as an example. You can refer to the music composition tutorial for more details on the commands. Good Luck!Smile

Edit: Well Nattak was a bit faster than me on this one lol
  Find

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
Also keep in mind Chrono Trigger (and some later revisions to the spc core) also uses a separate data set for some songs' percussion channels. You can simply recompose that channel or just live without it.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
(02-22-2012, 12:57 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote: You can simply recompose that channel or just live without it.

I can only HOPE you meant not so simply recompose. Wink

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 58
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-22-2012, 12:57 AM)JCE3000GT Wrote: Also keep in mind Chrono Trigger (and some later revisions to the spc core) also uses a separate data set for some songs' percussion channels. You can simply recompose that channel or just live without it.

Does data have been documented and is it in the same format as any other channel data? If so, you could maybe copy/paste the data an assign a percussion instrument to it if there is still some channels left in the song?

I would like to know about that for the CT imports I want to do (if I ever find the time...)

Find