Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Locke to Gogo?

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
Hey guys! I'm new here and thought this would be the PERFECT place to figure this out... I'm in need of some help... I have a character replacing Locke. He's a character of my own creation and I want him to be, for lack of a better term, a bag of awesomeHold on! I keep thinking about giving him different abilities but none of them are, imo, suited enough for him, though at the same time they ALL are. I also can't keep steal off him bcuz there's a time where he NEEDS it in south Figaro... I was wandering if there was a way to give him Gogo's ability to use other abilities in the status menuFinger. If anyone has any idea how to make Locke be able to select the skills for his skill menu PLEASE help me do it. I would be greatly appreciated of it. This is the LAST thing I need for my edit of the game... Thanx for any help ahead of time!

Roy-boy
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Welcome, Welcome! Nice to have you around Tongue
(02-18-2012, 01:32 AM)Roy-boy Wrote: I was wandering if there was a way to give him Gogo's ability to use other abilities in the status menu Finger.

In short, yes, it requires hex editing and going around the rom looking for code. Question: Do you want locke to have Gogo's equip ability in the menu? Or will both locke and gogo have this ability? It's needless to say that the second option is much more difficult.

I will try to answer the question assuming only locke will have the exchangeable commands, and I'll assume you know about hex editing.
Code:
C3/1C64:    B90000      LDA $0000,Y    (load character ID)
C3/1C67:    C90C        CMP #$0C       (Is this Gogo?)

C3/225B:    B90000      LDA $0000,Y    (character ID)
C3/225E:    C90C        CMP #$0C       (is character Gogo?)

C3/43F8:    B90000      LDA $0000,Y    (character ID)
C3/43FB:    C90C        CMP #$0C       (is it Gogo?)
Change the 0C (Gogo) to 01 (Locke) in all instances of the above code.

Note that I haven't done this before, so changing the code above might not yield you the result the first time. Change the code and come back to tell us what did you find.

Status
None
I want Locke to be able to equip different skills from the very start of the game. And onward. So that I can change him up when I see fit. especially when I NEED him to steal

And no... I don't know how to hex edit. I can't find one that makes sense to me. Any suggestions? I could figure it out from there

Also, thanx for the welcome!
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(02-18-2012, 01:32 AM)Roy-boy Wrote: Hey guys! I'm new here and thought this would be the PERFECT place to figure this out... I'm in need of some help... I have a character replacing Locke. He's a character of my own creation and I want him to be, for lack of a better term, a bag of awesomeHold on! I keep thinking about giving him different abilities but none of them are, imo, suited enough for him, though at the same time they ALL are. I also can't keep steal off him bcuz there's a time where he NEEDS it in south Figaro... I was wandering if there was a way to give him Gogo's ability to use other abilities in the status menuFinger. If anyone has any idea how to make Locke be able to select the skills for his skill menu PLEASE help me do it. I would be greatly appreciated of it. This is the LAST thing I need for my edit of the game... Thanx for any help ahead of time!

Roy-boy

I believe you need to recruit a character first in order to use his ability via gogo's menu or whoever has that menu. So basically if locke is recruited second, you would have terra's magic available only.. This could maybe be changed but it require assembly hacking and knowing where the proper bits are.
  Find

Status
None
Can I get the skills as I go? Like when I run into someone I have the skill now? Like when I get Sabin, Now I have Blitz?
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 158
Status
Nattak\'d
(02-18-2012, 01:32 AM)Roy-boy Wrote: I also can't keep steal off him bcuz there's a time where he NEEDS it in south Figaro...

Well, there are ways around that. >_> You could alter the battlescript so that something besides steal gets him the clothes, like a certain spell or even regular attack, you can get creative there. Also you could always opt to put the steal function on weapons only, or something.

As for hex editing, download Windhex, and look for a tutorial on basic hex editing. There should be some info on how to get started learning how around this site, if you can't find a real tutorial somewhere.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-18-2012, 02:47 AM)Roy-boy Wrote: Can I get the skills as I go? Like when I run into someone I have the skill now? Like when I get Sabin, Now I have Blitz?

yep!
  Find

Status
None
So this should get me to have the ability to equip skills in the status menu
Code:

and It will be on Locke when I 1st get him? and I can learn skills as I get new characters?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Code:

No. This is only a small amount of what needs to be changed. Most of the reference to bank C3 only apply to menu and displaying and not directly to the ability. I don't know if those abilities in gogo's special menu are somewhat linked to him or anybody can choose from them if they have the menu. Plus what about mimic? Do you want your character to have it? If not you have to seperate gogo's main ability from him and that is more bytes to change.

You can have a look what ability changes looks like in this thread

You can download the C3 bank here and here to see all the references to gogo in the menus functions. Do a ctrl+f with "gogo" "#$0C" or "CMP #$0C" his actor number. I don't have much time right now on my side to solve this task...sorry. I might come up with a better answer soon![Image: cecilsword.gif]
  Find

Status
None
I don't want the mimic ability xD Just pick attacks that others can use. HOPEFULLY including Shock...
So if I change all of these things from gogo to Locke, then when I get Locke at the start of the game He'll be able to change his skills? And as I meet people, He'll learn theirs as well?
  Find