Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Changing Tiles...

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
I want to change Cafe to Pub, sounds easy enough but I'm new with graphics Sad

I am aware that there are a few projects out there that have done this already, but to my knowledge there is no patch for just this. I was able to follow tutorials on this site for decompressing graphics and all that, but my problem is finding what I need. I have no idea where to start looking Hmm

Any help would be appreciated Smile

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
You just need YY-CHR for this. Open it up and load your ROM and go to address 234000 under 4BPP SNES, you should see one of the Cafe signs there, if it is not clear or looks weird, try another format until you see the words there "Cafe". I think there are 2 other Cafe instances that need to be changed, so just scroll around the tiles there until you find them all and test them out to make sure they're changed. One of them is the one shown inside the Cafe, one on the outside of the building, and one for the Zozo battle background. I'm pretty sure they can all be edited in YY-CHR without decompressing anything, even the battle background.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(11-29-2011, 06:18 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: You just need YY-CHR for this. Open it up and load your ROM and go to address 234000 under 4BPP SNES, you should see one of the Cafe signs there, if it is not clear or looks weird, try another format until you see the words there "Cafe". I think there are 2 other Cafe instances that need to be changed, so just scroll around the tiles there until you find them all and test them out to make sure they're changed. One of them is the one shown inside the Cafe, one on the outside of the building, and one for the Zozo battle background. I'm pretty sure they can all be edited in YY-CHR, even the battle background.
Great! Thanks! Now my next question is how did you know where to look?

Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 159
Status
Nattak\'d
Well, I just search and look. After awhile you'll start to remember whereabouts everything is located, weapons, map tiles, spell graphics, all the sprites. I'm sure that somewhere the offsets are listed for everything, maybe somewhere like in Cless's FFVI Romhacking Guide, or just a ROM map of FFVI, but searching for the tiles you want to change is pretty easy.

It also really helps if you're having trouble locating the tile due to the crazy looking colors of YY-CHR, you can load an emulator save state that has the current palette in it, and it will then show the right color. This is mighty useful for things like spells and weapon, and I'm sure tiles as well.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I have a patch that changes cafe to bar

but if you want pub I can make a patch for you

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
(11-29-2011, 06:41 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Well, I just search and look. After awhile you'll start to remember whereabouts everything is located, weapons, map tiles, spell graphics, all the sprites. I'm sure that somewhere the offsets are listed for everything, maybe somewhere like in Cless's FFVI Romhacking Guide, or just a ROM map of FFVI, but searching for the tiles you want to change is pretty easy.

It also really helps if you're having trouble locating the tile due to the crazy looking colors of YY-CHR, you can load an emulator save state that has the current palette in it, and it will then show the right color. This is mighty useful for things like spells and weapon, and I'm sure tiles as well.
Thanks for your help!

(11-29-2011, 07:01 PM)Poco Loco Wrote: I have a patch that changes cafe to bar

but if you want pub I can make a patch for you
Thanks Poco, I saw your patch on slickproductions and it's part of the reason I want to do this. Oh, and thanks for the offer to make the patch, but I want to do this myself, just to know that I can Smile
Now to track down the other instances... god this place is great lol

EDIT: The outside tile is also the tile in the battle background, so only 2 need to be changed. That was pretty easy Laugh

Find

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Status
Regen
Don't forget that Tile Layer Pro can drag and drop tiles (via click and drag) from one to the other quite easily. This is very helpful if you are taking data from one ROM to another. Below is a screenshot of what I'm talking about.

[Image: tlp.png]

You can use the right mouse button and select multiple tiles and CTRL+C CTRL+V to copy/paste them between ROMs. I found this a bit easier to do if you are just taking tiles from one game to another. Works well with restoring censored out stuff quite well actually. I know YY-CHR has more functionality but this is quicker and easier in my opinion.

Laugh

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to JCE3000GT for this post:
  • Rodimus Primal (06-10-2013)

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
THANK YOU! I finally figured out how to do it. Cafe is now Pub in my project!

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
no problem man and glad we could help

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC