Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SPC topic

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
Let's have a topic devoted to SPC discussion. Post your questions, imports, remixes and or any thing relating to SPCs.

I'll start.

What do you guys think of this:
Original
My Import

I've reimported it and fiddled with it some more to make it sound a bit better while adding a different flavor with the instrument playing the melody.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Threads: 250
Thanks Received: 11
Status
Traitor
I love you SPC guys. :3
Especially when you guys create new music for FFVI. I don't really have anything to contribute to this topic in terms of content, but if I could make any suggestion for an SPC composer, I think I'd have to request the FFIV overworld theme be made for the World of Balance in FFVI. Only because of my hack of course.
If anyone did this, I'd truly be in someones debt and could possibly help with with lots of graphics.
  Find

Status
Regen
Aaaaaaand so close...

RS2 Battle in FF6

I still cannot fix the looping. This song would be a great tune for someone's hack/mod if it only played once through... HAHA!

(11-03-2011, 08:43 AM)Zeemis Wrote: I love you SPC guys. :3
Especially when you guys create new music for FFVI. I don't really have anything to contribute to this topic in terms of content, but if I could make any suggestion for an SPC composer, I think I'd have to request the FFIV overworld theme be made for the World of Balance in FFVI. Only because of my hack of course.
If anyone did this, I'd truly be in someones debt and could possibly help with with lots of graphics.

MetriodQuest has already composed a bunch of FF4 music for FF6. Maybe he already has the World theme done?

And, that's my favorite overworld music followed by FF5's Unknown Lands. :D

-

Status
Traitor
Do you have a URL to all the FF4 music he's imported to FF6?
His site doesn't seem to contain them.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(11-03-2011, 05:18 PM)Zeemis Wrote: Do you have a URL to all the FF4 music he's imported to FF6?

He composed only a few songs: FF4 boss battle; FF4 cave; FF4 Baron Castle theme; FF5 Gilgamesh Theme and a theme from FF3. There are patches for each one (except for FF3 theme) in the IPS section, if I'm not mistaken.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
羨ましい (urayamashii). That's all I can say. Seriously, how do you geniuses learn to do this?! This is precisely the kind of hacking I want to learn! But first, I need to learn more about hex....anyways....(Kinda wish ROM hackers wouldn't deem Zsnes the be all end all of Snes emulators...just my opinion)
  Find

Status
Regen
(11-03-2011, 05:18 PM)Zeemis Wrote: Do you have a URL to all the FF4 music he's imported to FF6?

Actually, I don't have a link...

(11-03-2011, 06:38 PM)Angelo26 Wrote:

He composed only a few songs: FF4 boss battle; FF4 cave; FF4 Baron Castle theme; FF5 Gilgamesh Theme and a theme from FF3. There are patches for each one (except for FF3 theme) in the IPS section, if I'm not mistaken.

I've got the SPCs but I got them directly from metriodquest.

(11-03-2011, 07:17 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: 羨ましい (urayamashii). That's all I can say. Seriously, how do you geniuses learn to do this?! This is precisely the kind of hacking I want to learn! But first, I need to learn more about hex....anyways....(Kinda wish ROM hackers wouldn't deem Zsnes the be all end all of Snes emulators...just my opinion)

I literally played around with SPC imported for years, since back in 2003. In 2006 I got a brainstorm when I noticed that some Square games used a modified core from Romancing SaGa 2. Which was much different from Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy V. I noticed that Seiken Densetsu 2, Final Fantasy V and Mystic Quest used each other's core, with the original being Final Fantasy V. Then I thought, "omg what if I could import one song from a game with a similar core?". That's how I came up with this SPC. Oddly, I did this import on my birthday! Granted this is still broken after the first loop but it still was a massive breakthrough. This was also the first time I used my SPC Editor that I coded specifically to make this process easier. This SPC was my first 100% complete import. As in, it was the first that didn't have any bugs in the looping or sequence. I'm still proud of this one.

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Importing SPCs across similar sound engines....tempting.
  Find

Status
Traitor
(11-03-2011, 07:17 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: 羨ましい (urayamashii). That's all I can say. Seriously, how do you geniuses learn to do this?! This is precisely the kind of hacking I want to learn! But first, I need to learn more about hex....anyways....(Kinda wish ROM hackers wouldn't deem Zsnes the be all end all of Snes emulators...just my opinion)

I use ZSnes and I am a rom hacker. It's just preference.
I like ZSnes because of the save states and how it stores palettes in them. I'm sure other emulators can do the same thing I suppose, but I've never tried with them.

If you're hacking graphics using YY-CHR, you often get your palettes by taking a save state where you're gonna be editing those graphics and you load the save state by pressing F12 in YY-CHR.
  Find

Status
Regen
SNES9x does have a better sound core, but, there really isn't a 100% accurate core out there yet. BSNES comes VERY close though... It just isn't very user friendly and there are a few things with BSNES that I do not like. Personal preference.

(11-04-2011, 12:02 AM)the_randomizer Wrote: Importing SPCs across similar sound engines....tempting.

You can try your hand at importing FF6 tunes to Chrono Trigger or Romancing SaGa 3. Since CT and RS3 use generation 3 of this sound core they will easily and brilliantly take FF6 songs without hassle. Also, you can import CT and RS3 songs to and from each other with a bit of re-engineering. When importing CT tracks to RS3 you'll need to fiddle with it a tiny bit. Because RS3 does have a bit more subroutines but nothing CT cannot handle.

Examples:
http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/spc_imports/

Now BRR editing from one game to another is a bit harder as each sound engineer uses a different frequency/sample rate of wavefile when they import their samples. Thankfully, these games contain a table of data that you can select the sample rate and even the loop point of them.

Examples of my early tests: http://www.jce3000gt.com/public/spc_imports/brr/