Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SPC topic

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Those are some freakin' awesome imports (especially the Devil's Lab one). Need to get use to hex some more, then maybe take a crack at it.\

Now, I just need to learn more about music, sequencing and what have you. I learned about music, but that was back in 1995...yeah, it's been a while and forgot a lot of it. I have programs like Mad Tracker, SynthFont, with the respective SNES soundfonts, but now I just need to practice/experiment.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Here's one that I picked back up and finished.
It's Ruined World from Chrono Trigger 2300 A.D., re-created for FFVI.
Ruined World 2.0

I tweaked it around by adding a pipe organ, as well as a whole other track layer with chorus, since there was enough room to do so.

I had to resort to importing the 'rolling can' BRR, which was around 1300 bytes! - so I doubt I will be making a patch for this one because to get those 1300 bytes, I had to really customize the heck out of the BRR table, sorry. =( But I WILL be using it in my hack, and it will replace Dark World of course. =D

Like usual with SPC's, the wind track got knocked out of this, but it's there in the game and sounds really good. Overall, i'm happy with how it came out, although listening to it now, I think it may be -slightly- off somewhere after the tracks loop once or twice lol. I'm not really sure.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I have a simple question for all of you SPC experts: Does FFVI and Secret of Evermore have the same SPC core or are they similar enough to do an import?

My idea is to replace "Kids Run Through The City" or "The day after" with "Cecil's town" from Secret of Evermore. I'll probably go for the second option since "Cecil's town" is a sad song and it would fit perfectly in the WOR.

If it is possible to do a direct import, does anyone know where to find the songs data in a Secret of Evermore ROM? I found the ROM map on Data Crystal but it doesn't specify which song is where...

Anyway if I don't find answers to my questions, I'll probably try to map the song in a midi sequencer and then write manually the song in the FFVI ROM but it would be a longer process I think...
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Unless the SPC engine is the same pretty much, you would have to compose it..See the Music Hacking Tut, =)

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
I've ran an assembly trace back in 2006 and wasn't able to locate that game's SPC core or sequence information. I doubt Square USA had the resources to use Square of Japan's SPC cores. I bet they coded their own.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-14-2011, 02:36 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Unless the SPC engine is the same pretty much, you would have to compose it..

I thought both engines could be similar enough as they are from two games made by Square and they were made around the same time. I'll try to search harder on the subject...

(12-14-2011, 02:36 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: See the Music Hacking Tut, =)

Yeah I already saw it...It seems it's going to be hours of fun...

Edit: Thanks for the info JCE3000GT. I had forget that SOE was made by Square USA. This game has some great music, too bad I won'T be able to do an import. I'll try to compose it (map it) using a midi sequencer.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
"Yeah I already saw it...It seems it's going to be hours of fun..."
Oh it is, it is.

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
I wouldn't give up just yet. Until the SPC core can be identified you should still continue to search for the answer. Click here for a quick assembly log up until the first couple of notes are played when starting the ROM. The beginning set of routines are loading the flaming Squaresoft logo then the rest should be loading the graphics for the opening demo followed by locating the SPC pointer for the song about to be played. At least that's my guess... I really didn't spend much time on this one since I had other games with higher priority.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
Nattak\'d
Here's my very first 100% composed (not injected) SPC hack. Surprised
BoF2 - My Home

My Home is the main town theme from Breath of Fire 2.

Here's a vid of it for non-.SPC listeners.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XenC8qh31Po

Next on my list is FF7's 'Costa Del Sol', I believe. XD

Status
Tissue-aware
(12-17-2011, 08:57 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Here's my very first 100% composed (not injected) SPC hack. Surprised

My Home is the main town theme from Breath of Fire 2.

Next on my list is FF7's 'Costa Del Sol', I believe. XD

Very good job! I'm starting spc compostion tonight..I want to eventually compose FFVII tracks too for FFVI such as "Holding my thoughts in my heart" and "Interrupted by fireworks".

Which midi sequencer do you use to map the song? I suppose you map the song then write down the notes, their length and the length of the rests between them for each midi channel of the song?

Also, I have a bit of a hard time with music theory...What are the values of the notes with a question mark? Are they the black notes on a piano roll?
Code:
C              do
C# /Db         ?
D              re
D# /Eb         ?
E              mi
F              fa
F# /Gb         ?
G              so
G# /Ab         ?
A              la
Bb             ?