Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation"

Threads: 8
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
I don't have internet at home, so I can't Skype often. I'll get online now and see if you're on.

... well, you're not. When can you be on Skype? I won't be able to be on a bit for awhile because my parents are visiting for Christmas and New Years.

Also, I don't use Skype often... I'll try to use it more if I can.

[Image: AegisBanner01.png]

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I've been wondering how you're going to re-translate a few spell/ability names, more specifically, the Magitek spells. For some reason, デジョネーター (dejoneetaa) translated into "X-zone" or "banisher", neither of which made sense in my opinion, how would one translate such a weird anomaly? It's been bothering me for a long time.
  Find

Status
None
Ask Angelo. Tongue

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
(12-22-2011, 10:27 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: I've been wondering how you're going to re-translate a few spell/ability names, more specifically, the Magitek spells. For some reason, デジョネーター (dejoneetaa) translated into "X-zone" or "banisher", neither of which made sense in my opinion, how would one translate such a weird anomaly? It's been bothering me for a long time.
I can only speak for myself of course, but I don't believe we are re-translating the original japanese, just importing the GBA script, and making subtle changes to that. Just out of curiosity though, what do you think would make sense?

@Aegis: I left my phone in another room, I was away from it for about 10 minutes, which is when you happened to call, what luck haha. Anyway, I am almost finished inserting the GBA script, I got bored and just decided to mess with it, not thinking that it would go so fast. I haven't made any changes to it at all, and haven't kept any snes lines. I can send it your way when finished, shouldn't take more than a day or two of work. I just might not be able to get to it until the new year. Let me know what you think.

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(12-23-2011, 06:44 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: Ask Angelo. Tongue

My patch is based both on the FF6 retranslation patch by ChrisRPG and the FF6advance script. I am much more inclined to rename based on a fan's retranslation than Nintendo, since they apply their magical censorship to everything they can.

I believe Chris used "Degen" for X-zone.

Status
None
(12-24-2011, 12:51 AM)PJM Wrote: @Aegis: I left my phone in another room, I was away from it for about 10 minutes, which is when you happened to call, what luck haha. Anyway, I am almost finished inserting the GBA script, I got bored and just decided to mess with it, not thinking that it would go so fast. I haven't made any changes to it at all, and haven't kept any snes lines. I can send it your way when finished, shouldn't take more than a day or two of work. I just might not be able to get to it until the new year. Let me know what you think.

Yeah, sure, send it my way. I'm impressed how fast you did it! o.o

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 3
Thanks Given: 7
Status
None
(12-27-2011, 04:26 PM)Aegis Runestone Wrote: Yeah, sure, send it my way. I'm impressed how fast you did it! o.o
Haha, yeah, me too actually. It took about two days (roughly 15 hours each day). I got lucky and had no kids or wife for a few days, and I tend to obsess over projects like this, so yeah, it worked out.

Unfortunately with Christmas and family obligations, it's now at a standstill, but I expect to finish it around Jan 5th. I only have about 1/4 of the script left, as well as the battle dialogues (which are tiny in comparison).

NNID (Wii U): pjmcphee
PSN: PaJMtree
Xbox Live: PJ_McPhizzle
  Find

Status
None
(12-24-2011, 12:51 AM)PJM Wrote:
(12-22-2011, 10:27 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: I've been wondering how you're going to re-translate a few spell/ability names, more specifically, the Magitek spells. For some reason, デジョネーター (dejoneetaa) translated into "X-zone" or "banisher", neither of which made sense in my opinion, how would one translate such a weird anomaly? It's been bothering me for a long time.
I can only speak for myself of course, but I don't believe we are re-translating the original japanese, just importing the GBA script, and making subtle changes to that. Just out of curiosity though, what do you think would make sense?

I hope this is still relevant — I've seen the same Thing used in some Kingdom Hearts Games (also produced by Square, and directly related to Final Fantasy,for those who aren't aware) with the Romanisaiton "Dezonator" (the English Localisation used "Warpinator", with "Warp" replacing the Japanese "Dezone"). It looks more like "Degenator", possibly a shortening of "Degenerator", though that doesn't make as much Sense in Context.

Regardless, I believe "Warp" would be the usual Localisation, unless I'm thinking of the wrong Spell.

Status
None
Sorry that I've been so slow on this. School's been eating me up, along with other projects not related to hacking. So sorry. Sad

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 4
Status
None
FF8 called it Degenerator, which is a mistranslation. Banisher (from Banish, which is the FFVIA spellname for Dezone. It wasn't called Warp, I imagine, because it doesn't function like normal Warp) is actually the most apt, all things considered. Maybe Dezoner?
  Find