Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Breath of Fire 2 SPC hacking

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 2
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Okay, so I've asked this question on numerous boards (such as Rom Hacking) and they tossed it aside like an old bag of moldy tangerines, so, I'll ask here. This is a game that has two battle themes, and switches from one to another halfway in the game (after you get the flute in order to save the fat queen in Tune Land). Yes, there are discussions where people say the second battle theme is better; well I don't. I think it's garbage compared to the other one, but what I want to know is, what address(es) tell the game to switch the SPC data halfway? What values need to be changed to force the BOF2 to use the Cross Counter battle theme throughout the entire game? Surely, someone out there has information for the SPC banks or similar info with Breath of Fire 2. I really would like to know just how complicated it would be to make such a change. If this is a double post, I apologize.

Oops.....
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(07-10-2011, 09:19 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: Surely, someone out there has information for the SPC banks or similar info with Breath of Fire 2.

Actually, I'm pretty sure anything regarding BoF2's music pointers (or anything for that matter) remains undocumented. If someone -is- documenting the data, they are keeping it to themselves. Remember that FF6 is the most well documented RPG of all time, and BoF2 is, well...not. >_< Music pointers are among the harder things to find in a ROM also.

I did read that post on Romhacking.com-, this one, right?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=8776.0

-and it looked to me like two of the people did in fact give you good advice on how to go about finding, and in turn changing the data, they just didn't know the exact offset. You will need to locate the music pointers obviously, which I know proved to be a real headache in FF6. Hopefully BoF2's are all nicely grouped together and are easier to locate. Best of luck.

Like a wise man once said, sometimes if you want to get something done right, ya gotta do it yourself Wink

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(07-12-2011, 01:13 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(07-10-2011, 09:19 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: Surely, someone out there has information for the SPC banks or similar info with Breath of Fire 2.

Actually, I'm pretty sure anything regarding BoF2's music pointers (or anything for that matter) remains undocumented. If someone -is- documenting the data, they are keeping it to themselves. Remember that FF6 is the most well documented RPG of all time, and BoF2 is, well...not. >_< Music pointers are among the harder things to find in a ROM also.

I did read that post on Romhacking.com-, this one, right?
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=8776.0

-and it looked to me like two of the people did in fact give you good advice on how to go about finding, and in turn changing the data, they just didn't know the exact offset. You will need to locate the music pointers obviously, which I know proved to be a real headache in FF6. Hopefully BoF2's are all nicely grouped together and are easier to locate. Best of luck.

Like a wise man once said, sometimes if you want to get something done right, ya gotta do it yourself Wink

Oh, that wasn't my post, but I did the ask same question at another time.
Didn't realize that post was there after the fact.
  Find

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(07-10-2011, 09:19 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: I've asked this question on numerous boards (such as Rom Hacking) and they tossed it aside like an old bag of moldy tangerines
(07-10-2011, 09:19 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: Oh, that wasn't my post, but I did the ask same question at another time.

Rule of thumb: If you post something in a thread on the internet, it's most likely we'll be able to find it. Next time you'll want to be careful on how you write things and how you express about others.

(07-10-2011, 09:19 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: NICE TO SEE MY POSTS BEING IGNORED!

We are quite busy, and try to respond to threads ASAP. Moreover, This is a hacking site for Final Fantasy and Square Enix related games. Not many people know too much about breath of fire, or about it's documentation. I did a little hacking on it, and I believe I showed it to you before.

You seem to be eager about finding the music pointers, why don't you try using a debugger yourself?

Status
None
Oops...I'll keep a low profile and stop pestering you guys. But I've used Geiger's Snes9x before and it kept crashing when I use Breath of Fire 2, but I can try it again.
  Find

Status
None
I found someone who has hacked Bof2 to insert new music!! Very nice indeed

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoTdPhrmayA&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
kick ass I like what this person did Smile

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
None
Ugh. The re-translation hack is so much better (non-Engrish text and dash feature) but does this dude know the SPC tables for the Snes version?
  Find

Status
None
(07-16-2011, 12:09 PM)the_randomizer Wrote: Ugh. The re-translation hack is so much better (non-Engrish text and dash feature) but does this dude know the SPC tables for the Snes version?

That should be up to us to find...He was kind enough to provide some information (looks like he's Japanese, so his English may not be that good)

Quote:ROM of the songs and the instruments

songs
Tabel 00CEC38
Header 01119BC
Tnstruments 00BD75C

It is possible to examine it easily with software named sappy.
Music from 117 in sappy.
The replacement of music is easy (FE7if text taught to me).
but I cannot have increased music yet.

If you think about it...If the songs were imported with no changes, the song bytes in the GBA version should be the same as the ones in the SNES version. If this is true, it'll be easy to find the offsets of the songs in the SNES version, I believe.

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
I suppose DJ can always talk with him

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC