The dialogue pointers and the dialogue don't match

[Image: SvEf6Yh.png]
  Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 25
Status
None
(04-15-2014, 11:53 AM)Xenovant Wrote: The dialogue pointers and the dialogue don't match

What do you mean?

[Image: 5452812CeqVF.png]
[Image: RoyakenGif_zpsacedef24.gif]
  Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
When the game wants to show a message, it looks at the pointers table looking for the message number X. The pointer points to the address in the rom where the beginning of the message, the text, should be. When the pointer points to somewhere and the message isn't there... that happens Tongue

Find

Status
None
(04-15-2014, 12:51 PM)Xenovant Wrote: When the game wants to show a message, it looks at the pointers table looking for the message number X. The pointer points to the address in the rom where the beginning of the message, the text, should be. When the pointer points to somewhere and the message isn't there... that happens Tongue

So the translation patch was moved to free space, and is pointed to there, yes? So why can I see the dialogue at the beginning of the game during the opening, during most of the Narshe raid, but it STARTS freezing at the Narshe Gaurd before Whelk? and would these pointers also effect the 2 items I changed? wouldn't the issue just be with those items when I opened the chests and not all of them?

Don't mean to be nieve, just not aware of how it all works xD

Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-15-2014, 12:54 PM)Royaken Wrote: wouldn't the issue just be with those items when I opened the chests and not all of them?

The same dialogue entry is used for every chest. The item name is passed as a parameter. This dialogue entry is also affected in your hack.

Edit: you should verify how those dialogues entries appear in FF3usME. Making a change to the guard dialogue should fix the pointer.
  Find

Status
None
(04-15-2014, 01:01 PM)Madsiur Wrote:
(04-15-2014, 12:54 PM)Royaken Wrote: wouldn't the issue just be with those items when I opened the chests and not all of them?

The same dialogue entry is used for every chest. The item name is passed as a parameter. This dialogue entry is also affected in your hack.

So the issue I'm experiancing is a conflict of the translation patch and my own dialogue edits?

Find

Status
None
I haven't seen that translation, but I think that it's in the same place but optimized (the original text isn't) and that's why you don't see any text now except on the first messages, with the text optimized they may point to free space.

Yes, it affects all items too because the chests use a generic string "you have found 'whatever'" or something like that, I don't remember the text.

EDIT: Oops, I posted too late xD

Yes, it's a conflict of these.

Find

Status
None
(04-15-2014, 01:08 PM)Xenovant Wrote: I haven't seen that translation, but I think that it's in the same place but optimized (the original text isn't) and that's why you don't see any text now except on the first messages, with the text optimized they may point to free space.

Yes, it affects all items too because the chests use a generic string "you have found 'whatever'" or something like that, I don't remember the text.

EDIT: Oops, I posted too late xD

Yes, it's a conflict of these.

Alright so according to this, if I started fresh and did everything EXCEPT the translation patch, I should be good to go?

Find

Status
None
Yep, it should work

Find