Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 with FF5 job system, NEED HELP

Status
None
This is basically just a thread to suggest that SOMEONE do this, but here's the suggestion: Final Fantasy 6 with the job change system of Final Fantasy 5, but still having all the elements of FF6. This would mean redoing the entire class change system just for 6, to keep all the original characters, items, weapons, music, etc. Now this doesn't mean you can't change things, that's what hacking is all about. Give it a new storyline if you want, I don't care. My point is that I want to see a ROMhack of this before I die. (After I die doesn't count because I want to actually be able to play it.)

I realize that this thread may be pointless, but after having the idea I simply must spread the influence in the hopes that someone with skills I lack would be interested in working on something like this.

And if need be, I will work on sprites for all the characters/job classes, but I'm sure someone else could do them better.

And... GO! Tongue

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
sorry to say, but to do this on a rom, not gonna happen, it would require adding so many classes and doing this for every single character there is no way in hell that can be added man sorry Sad

maybe it can be done on RPG maker or something, but that alone is going to be RIDICULOUS

I mean, I can help with sprites here n there, but I got a full plate atm

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Runic
srry, i agree with poco on that 1, it's just not possible to do a job system in ff6. Sad

"Expect an early Winter with lots of snow!" Roan's Snowball Fight move

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcadianKnight
I'm a serious Grandia II fan and my all-time favorite character is Roan
  Find

Status
None
I guess the very reason I wanted it to happen is the same reason it can't be done.

All the different possibilities for all the characters in the game, a seemingly endless slew of character classes with different, matching sprites for each of them. That'd be a huge ROM.

Still, if anyone ever wants to try this, I'd do everything in my dark power to help. Laugh

Threads: 62
Thanks Received: 7
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Regen
If you limit the characters in your airship to just being classes you could theoretically use them as "jobs". Then you could create script events to switch them around as needed.

[Image: jce3000gt_md.png]

[Image: jce3000gt.jpg]

Status
None
Hearing those words reminds me of RPG Maker for the PS1, but it's nice to see that there may be some hope after all.

By the way, how come you have less than full HP? How can I lose some, do you get to beat stuff up on this forum? Surprised

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(06-21-2011, 01:33 PM)Archaic Wrote: Final Fantasy 6 with the job change system of Final Fantasy 5, but still having all the elements of FF6. This would mean redoing the entire class change system just for 6, to keep all the original characters, items, weapons, music, etc.

This can be done, but it's extremely difficult. The number of sprites needed would be absurd, for each class AND for each character.
Having ~20 playable characters in FF6, and if you consider 20 job classes, at least 400 sprites would be needed. Absurd.

With regards to the class system, you'd have to erase the whole esper and magic system to be able to create a new system that would teach characters abilities based on their class.

Just thinking about the number of sprites turns me away from this X_X

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
Well... there IS one possibility I can think of that's similar to his idea.

In FF6, the default 'Status' screen allows the player to change a PC's skill list, just like Gogo's. However, there's actually a subroutine that runs to prevent every PC -except- Gogo from being able to do this.

If you remove this subroutine, then EVERYONE can mix and match their skillsets anytime they can access the menu.

This is sort of like giving -everyone- access to a job system. Of course, if you were to do this, you would need to rebalance everything to account for the fact that now -anyone- can use, say, Steal/Slot/Control in the earlygame, and that you still need Cyan/Strago/Mog/Sabin/Gau to learn SwdTechs/Lores/Dances/Blitzes/Rages. Notably, Morph is still unique? And I'm not sure if Shock/Health/Posess/Jump/X-magic can be added to the available commands.

It's actually kind of a neat idea. Though obviously you wouldn't be able to change any character's sprites based on their jobs. You might even be able to set up an NPC on the Airships to control the "Status" menu that allows Skillset swapping to make it more balanced.

Status
None
See this is the kind of information that really makes me think it could be done. I don't see why having so many sprites would be impossible, or even hard really. I like Djinn's idea, except it would be much cooler if they all had their own sprites for every class, but taking into consideration they would have to have a sprite for every possible action makes me see why it would be a lot of work. That being said, I still think it would be worth it to have the same class system with working sprites for each character and class.

The possibilities for each character's different job classes excites me, imagining how they could all have their own unique looks for each class reflected on the character themself, so that no two characters looks completely similar, I wouldn't want it to turn out like every dragoon/lancer class having similar looking armor and helmets, rather the armor change form depending on the character; Shadow would have a darker more ninja-looking armor even though he's a knight-type class, etc.

I think if you made it so that instead of having Magic on each character's menu ability, to instead create a separate ability list having to do with the character's learned job class abilities. I.e; Knights learn cover, Cover is available as an ability, and can be set when the character changes classes, after having learned it while as a Knight already, of course.

The characters would keep their own unique abilities, with exceptions to ones learned in Job Classes. Locke would start with the Steal ability learned from Thief class, but be able to remove it, not having to have Steal as a secondary option all the time if the player so chooses.

But Terra would keep her Morph ability because it is a unique character-based skill that can't be learned from other job classes.

I'm also thinking that some character abilities from FF6 could be learned by using other job classes and be removable like Locke's steal would be. Mystic Knights could learn Runic, an Engineer-type class could learn Tools, Monks/Fighters could learn Blitz.

Anyway, feel free to discuss and let me know if anyone wants to take this idea into action and start h4x1nz sum c0d35. Tongue

Threads: 12
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(06-22-2011, 02:42 PM)Archaic Wrote: I don't see why having so many sprites would be impossible, or even hard really.
That being said, I still think it would be worth it to have the same class system with working sprites for each character and class.

In the shortest way possible: No.
Longer version: The game doesn't have room for that many sprites. If you were willing to completely rebuild the entire graphics engine from the ground up and then reassemble the various pointers from the core battle and event engines, then I would upgrade my response to "Probably No."

I understand you're excited about hacking and FF6 is a surprisingly flexible game engine that can do a lot of things (but is also hampered by some hilarious shortcut coding). However, there's a few things that are more trouble than they're worth due to the limitations of the SNES ROM format. Top of that list is "Adding something new without replacing something". So you generally won't ever see any hack that adds new characters/graphics/items/spells/espers without deleting a few things that were in the original. Some very high level coders may eventually get around to adding a new PC or two since that's something which is in very high demand, but on the whole, it's not likely worth the effort it would take to adjust the ROM to allow for more characters/items/spells/espers.

Adding enough graphics to give every one of the 14 PCs in FF6 more than one sprite is likely to be the last thing that ever happens short of turning the whole game into a first-person shooter with Mode 8 graphics~

Now, building a Job system in FF6 is sorta-kinda possible thanks to Gogo's skillset swapping... But changing graphics for every job? If you can give up on that part, you might be able to make something if you're really dedicated.