Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FF6 with FF5 job system, NEED HELP

Status
None
Can't you just expand the ROM to be able to fit more sprites?

I was thinking that the esper/spell system could be completely replaced, spells being replaced with job abilities and the esper system replaced by the job change menu. I understand it'll be a lot of crazy changes just getting characters to change their sprite with each job, but that's really the best part about FFV's job system. Laugh

I love hacking, but all my experience is with using codebreaker/gameshark, so I don't really know anything about ROMs. Just raw code. Finger

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
the thing is, only the battle sprites were different in FF5 and there are relatively few of them and there r only 5 chars

that alone is just way too much

expanding the rom only makes it able to fit patches and whatnot, the data that is already in place wont change if it is expanded alone

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
You could upload as many sprites as you want to a blank/expanded ROM, but it's meaningless if the code isn't setup to place those sprites in the right place in battle/on the maps.

If your next suggestion is "So setup the code to do that!", then I would mention that it would be faster to write your own FF6 battle engine from scratch than to rebuild the code for what you're suggesting.

Status
None
Well, sorry for having no coding experience, I just figured an idea like this might be in someone's interest to fulfill. Besides, if someone did ever want to do something like this, I'd love to have a part in it. Wink

Status
None
It's okay, I'm not angry, I'm just trying to direct you towards something that you could -actually- do instead of wasting time hoping for some magical rebuild of FF6 with room for 300+ sprites.

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
(06-23-2011, 08:37 AM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: So you generally won't ever see any hack that adds new characters/graphics/items/spells/espers without deleting a few things that were in the original.

There's a way to that. Metroidquest's hack allows you to play as Dark Cecil and Paladin Cecil by using event commands to replace a character's sprite and properties, which is a "trick" so you may think more playable characters can be added, increasing variety.

Now that you bring this topic, I've been thinking for a while...it should be perfectly possible to replace all events which allow you to have ghosts join during the phantom train to be able to have a playable Leo/Kefka join the party...it may be kind of complex to do, since ideas theoretically are never easy when implementing in the ROM.

(06-23-2011, 07:33 PM)DjinnAndTonic Wrote: If your next suggestion is "So setup the code to do that!", then I would mention that it would be faster to write your own FF6 battle engine from scratch than to rebuild the code for what you're suggesting.

No offense Djinn, but you sound angry :p

Status
None
(06-23-2011, 08:10 PM)Angelo26 Wrote: Now that you bring this topic, I've been thinking for a while...it should be perfectly possible to replace all events which allow you to have ghosts join during the phantom train to be able to have a playable Leo/Kefka join the party...it may be kind of complex to do, since ideas theoretically are never easy when implementing in the ROM.

As long as they never ride Chocobos or Magitek Armors, since there's no room for a sprite for those poses.

Also, I'm interested in how many of those unused Character IDs can actually be assigned to PCs without glitching (which ID did Metroidquest use for his D.Knight Cecil swap?).

(06-23-2011, 07:33 PM)Angelo Wrote: No offense Djinn, but you sound angry :p
...well, not my intention. It's his avatar. Zero just looks so smug, clearly I can't help but sound angry. ^_~

Status
None
Maybe I should change my avatar to one that reflects my inner character more instead of trying to put up a front. Sad

Threads: 41
Thanks Received: 16
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Your avatar is very cool, no need to change the picture. Djinn's a nice guy, he's only trying to help.

Status
None
Just joking, I'm a badass on the inside too. Laugh

Edit: Oh, you guys like my avatar? My girlfriend photoshopped it for me. ^_^