The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Can monsters be made to display their status?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 11
Status
Moog
Something that frustrates me to no end as I'm testing my hack is the fact that monsters give absolutely no indication of their status.  Are they asleep?  Poisoned?  Mute?  Condemned?  Some of these things can be checked by wasting a turn on Scan, but it would be so much more convenient and aesthetically pleasing if the monsters would use head graphics for their ailments like the player actors do.

I've seen some info in the C1 disassembly where statuses can change colors for _player_ actors.  Hatzen made a patch that changes recolors into head graphics for _player_ actors.  LeetSketcher made one that cycles the outline coloration.  But all of these are for the player party.

Is it feasible to force draw the muddle, mute, sleep, countdown, and poison animations over afflicted monsters in the same way?  What about making a monster's palette outline (color 1) cycle colors like the player's does?  Has anyone already made a patch to that effect (I couldn't find one)?  And most importantly, does anyone other than me perceive this sort of thing as a problem/missing feature?

I'm trying to decide if I want to delve into it now, or just release my mod once testing is complete and look into these kinds of things later.  All the assembly I've done thus-far has been extensions of patches that other players programmed, and since xKas won't run for me I have to program directly in hex.  Does this sound like the kind of thing that would be a quick change (like removing a check for whether the target is a player) or an extensive rewrite?
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Can monsters be made to display their status? - by C-Dude - 04-07-2019, 08:59 PM