Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
(08-10-2020, 04:46 AM)assassin Wrote:
Quote:Removed "Incoherent Gungho" The issue isn't a bug, it's bad translation. I don't think the problem should be fixed this way anymore. Fixing the broken script should suffice in fixing this the right way. My script-fix will address this.

you sure?  how does RPGOne's translation handle the dialogue?  preliminary script here:
http://www.skyrender.net/ff6script.txt

if the incoherency is still there, then what are the odds that both Woolsey and Sky Render made a bad translation, when the latter was going out of his way to not rely on the former?

it always seemed odd to me how *both* the with-Strago and sans-Strago conversations were messed up, and then one elegant change could remedy both by bringing instant clarity without rewriting a single word of text.

does the way that the GBA/etc.  remake team chose to approach the incoherency necessarily tell us the true source of the original flaw 13 years prior?

---

EDIT: one thing i was skeptical of is how a single line ("When you were younger you hunted Hidon [...]") could possibly apply in two conversations where Gungho wasn't even addressing the same person!  admittedly, Khwazit seems to have solved it by making the line pronoun-less (iow, an implied subject):
https://kwhazit.ucoz.net/trans/ff6/34betray.html

however, he outright states that he was addressing the incoherency by avoiding a subject.  clever, but seems kind of like putting a thumb on the scale.

it's valid English, though strikes me as a rare approach in this game.

i would like to know what the subject was in the original Japanese.

My apologies to Sky Render, because I know he's moved on and just wanted to do a good thing. But the thing is that RPGONE's translation is actually really bad. One reason is because it DID rely on the SNES translation. It outright copies the SNES translation a lot of the time. And it gets a lot wrong because of it. Ted Woolsey got a lot of things wrong, which considering the constraints he worked under at the time, I understand. When RPGONE deviates from the SNES script, it sometimes gets it right... and sometimes it gets things wrong that Woolsey got right. In general it's the GBA translation by Tom Slattery that gets everything right. It makes a few errors here and there, but by and large, if you want accuracy, choose GBA. But if you like Woolsey's style, then go with one of the rewrites of the SNES script. Such as... my "Translating the Name Edition", for instance. :3

The Legends of Localization FF6 streams have been eye-opening to me. They compare SNES, GBA, and original Japanese live at the same time. I definitely recommend them if you want to see all the differences between translations. Mato is an excellent and fluent translator of Japanese, and he translates the Japanese text on the spot.

But yes, that one line that is duplicated across both occurrences (with Strago and without) gave me pause. Japanese is built so differently than English, and its pronoun use (or lack of sometimes) can be hard to translate. But the conversation with Gungho will never be truly clear without rewriting the text. Just that "monumental bag of hot air" line alone is nonsense no matter how much things are reordered. Because it's supposed to be Gungho speaking that line.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • assassin (10-18-2020)

Messages In This Thread
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by CVReynolds - 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by REDTITAN - 10-06-2021, 11:12 PM