Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI - Lore Complete

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
@Poco:
Thanks! All the credit goes to Madsiur, in particular his video tutorial on moving events. That one in particular was what cemented jumps for me, and it all finally "clicked." At that point, the only lingering doubts were, "Man, how can I simplify this process so I don't have to constantly look up assembly and hex opcodes? And idiot-proof against myself so I don't accidentally fat-finger a value?" That pushed me to make the C# patching library. Now I can rely on IntelliSense for most things. Also, not having to constantly make ROM backups cuts down a LOT on time when debugging, frees up more time for research and learning more advanced concepts.

@GrayShadows:
Holy crap, that's an excellent idea! My favorite NPC's in the vanilla game were actually the two historians in Albrook talking about Atma/Ultima, so that's right up my alley, and would present a lot of material to fill out more books! Totally doing it. Thanks for the suggestion! I was already planning to have a book, "Faithful Account of the War of the Magi" be recoverable key item from the Ancient Castle (the timeline states the last copy was lost in Doma 980 years ago), and then giving a reward for turning it in to a historian. If that historian was having an argument with another, and that book would settle the debate... that would make even more sense. It's too perfect.

As for space, it's not a huge issue. I'm using an expanded ROM, so moving events to make space is relatively straight forward, and each "read book" event only takes up 12 bytes (check they face up, check for button press, display the dialog, return). After moving just two blocks of the early Narshe events, and making sure nothing borked, I already had space for 17 book events. Then for having enough space for their dialogs, the FF3Edit Town Dialog hack took care of that, freeing up something like 80k bytes. With book dialogs averaging around 500 bytes a pop, that's more than enough room to handle all the books I plan, leaving a lot of room left over for extras.

The real issue I had was not having enough bytes available for map data to place those events and more NPC's. Thankfully, once I found FF6LE-CE's map expansion functionality, and which banks to use without conflicting with my own hacks, that solved that issue.

So NOW the biggest problem is just creating the content, and making sure it doesn't conflict with canon material (at least, not too much... as long as there are no direct contradictions). Which I think is a fun problem to have Smile

Edit:
And now that I think of it, if I add author names and titles to each book, that actually provides possible incentive for players to backtrack and re-read the books in order to check the authors, and verify the accurate info. You are brilliant! Thanks again!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to justonecog for this post:
  • Robo Jesus (12-24-2017)

Messages In This Thread
FFVI - Lore Complete - by justonecog - 09-07-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by SSJ Rick - 09-08-2017, 12:41 AM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by GrayShadows - 09-08-2017, 04:12 AM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by justonecog - 09-08-2017, 07:11 AM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by GrayShadows - 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by madsiur - 09-08-2017, 07:04 PM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by justonecog - 09-08-2017, 10:02 PM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by Robo Jesus - 12-24-2017, 02:45 PM
RE: FFVI - Lore Complete - by justonecog - 01-03-2018, 02:38 AM