The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Patch: Restored Ability Names (Update)

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Enlight
author: SilentEnigma (updates), Angelo26 (original implementation)
current version: 2.1 (2023-11-01)
Download

Hi folks,

With Madsiur's approval I have made a big update to Angelo's Final Fantasy VI: Restored Ability Names patch, with the following new features:
  • Moved battle scripts to the FE block in the expanded portion of the ROM (workaround found by Dr. Meat for a bug in the original patch)
  • Realigned the Spell/Learn Rate list in the Esper submenu.
  • Space optimization:  Returned special ability names (Lore, Dance, etc.) to their original location on the ROM.
  • Version compatible with Imzogelmo's Multi-Steal Fix is now available.
  • All of Angelo's name choices are retained.

This ought to make it much simpler for people to apply Angelo's patch and use it in their personal projects.

Additional modifications:
  • Returned spell description window to its original height. All default descriptions now fit properly again.
  • Esper names, LV/HP/MP, etc. rearranged in submenus and the airship menu for (in my opinion) a more natural-looking alignment. Several name changes vs. Angelo's version (e.x. Efreet -> Ifrit, Regene -> Regen, ...)
  • The placement of class names can be modded to be a bit less intrusive vs. how they were designed for the original game. I'm pretty sure they are just a novelty for most players, so instead of putting them in nearly every menu and cluttering everything up, class names are instead relegated to the Status page. They also have been renamed where appropriate.
Of course, any of my own naming choices can be easily modified using WindHex and the FF3 battle encoding table:
  • C2/ADE0 - C2/AF10 for status effects
  • E6/FBAD - E6/FBFC for in-battle Magitek menu items
  • F2 bank for just about everything else.
...And let me know if anyone has any trouble with the patch. Although I don't think I introduced any new bugs, testing has not been comprehensive.

New in version 2.x:
  • Previous "Basic" & "Full" variants merged
  • Class name placement mod relegated to an addendum patch
  • Added Blitz Screen by @"Leet Sketcher"
  • Added item description expansion patch from the Description Expansion Megapack (Tool descriptions restored to their original glory)
  • MP cost display added in upper right corner for the Esper list, similar to the Magic spell list
  • Miscellaneous ability name corrections after comprehensive review
  • Reverted a few out-of-scope tweaks from the earlier patch
  • Patch now updates enemy special attack names
  • Removed compatibility with Imzogelmo's Multi-Steal-Fix (Use Multi-Steal-Fix Simplified Edition instead.)
  • Added patches for unheadered ROMs

See the readme and name comparison doc for more details.

Attached Files
.zip  RestoredAbilityNames_v1.6.zip (529.67 KB, 58 downloads)
.zip  RestoredAbilityNames_v2.1.zip (301.7 KB, 30 downloads)
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:
  • DrMeat (09-16-2016), FF6Fanatic (06-19-2016), Gi Nattak (02-29-2016), Kusanagi_999 (10-28-2020), SenioritaAeslnd (03-09-2016)

Messages In This Thread
Patch: Restored Ability Names (Update) - by SilentEnigma - 02-19-2016, 07:38 PM