Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer)

Threads: 18
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I've nearly finished a playthrough of speedcave and I have to say, I'm enjoying myself a lot! It's easy to get lost or miss something and get stuck so I started making paper maps! Having to make your own maps is totally oldschool and awesome. There's absolutely no way I could have finished this in one sitting though. I admit I spend a lot of time getting lost and even more time checking exp levels and switching espers around to optimize both spell learning and stat building (god I hate this system).

Also, even though I've been playing on vanilla settings it's noticeably harder due to difficult monsters popping up fairly quickly and not having access to all your usual resources, but I got Osmose and Cure early, so I had that going for me. I got lucky and found a lot of good offensive equipment and espers pretty early, but my defense was definitely lacking and I wiped a couple times. Fun!

One thing that got me several times is that an exit that you just came out of doesn't always lead back to where you came from. I'm not sure if I think it's a good thing or not...

I have a suggestion, if it's not too much trouble to implement (as an option). During map randomization, when considering which exits should go where, would it be possible to give more weight to maps with the same tileset as the current one, so as to get a kind of clustering effect. I think it would help make it easier to navigate the labyrinth if you have some bigger areas with a coherent theme. You could even designate "neighbour" tilesets so that mountains lead to caves, towns lead to indoors etc.

Also, is there a technical reason that map exits along the edges of maps don't go anywhere? I realize it's more tedious work to go through maps and make edge exits connect to other open-edged maps but it would be pretty nice.

I guess what I'm leading up to is would it be too much trouble to implement a "Slightly Less Chaotic Chaos Tower" mode?
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Official FF6: Beyond Chaos thread (randomizer) - by seibaby - 06-04-2015, 05:32 PM