Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
I've uploaded a video here:

http://youtu.be/7fTzrXh1AiM
_________ Hello _________

This is a hack which will allow others to implement a day/night cycle in FF6. This is intended mainly for hackers to use in their projects, rather than being a standalone hack. You will need to have some knowledge of how to hack events to use this, as it isn't quite plug and play.

So far I only intend to show proof of concept. I still have a couple issues which I want to iron out, and I want to refactor the code to make it easier to use. So far, I think it works reasonably well, but I probably don't know about some issues it may cause if used in the wrong places.

I have it set up so that you can walk into buildings and the timer keeps running, but the buildings don't get darker (since they're lit). The timer doesn't run on the overworld. Inside any area, you can modify the entrance event (with a small modification) to tell the game what state it's in:

1. The time is cycling and the area is lightening/darkening as needed.
2. The time is cycling, but the area is not growing brighter/darker. It's useful for shops like the ones I run into during the video.
3. The time is not cycling (so it's essentially vanilla FF6).

When I get it finished, I'll post links, instructions, documentations, etc. here. That will likely be a couple days.

I'm going to use parts of this in CYOA.

Confused Moogles FTW

Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
That is really cool Lockirby. Any chance this may also work on the overworld or does the lighting function completely differently on those tilesets?
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
Hey? What's hacking without taking a look at something new and different?
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
Pretty cool I must say. I think he is using event command 50 multiples times but there is no such command on the overworld map.
  Find

Status
Double
I'm pretty sure that it can't work on the overworld without some serious hacking. It's not event hacking anyways, so I can't really do it yet.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(12-28-2013, 09:36 PM)Lockirby2 Wrote: It's not event hacking anyways, so I can't really do it yet.

Are you saying your hack not not an event hack or that there's no event hacking on the Overworld? I am curious now.
  Find

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
very nice man

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Double
Oops, should have been more specific.

I meant that doing the day/night cycles on the overworld would take more than event hacking, so I wouldn't be able to do it.

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 88
Thanks Received: 24
Thanks Given: 87
Status
None
having such a patch is a really nice luxury, it opens up a lot of potential for some hidden events and some other stuff as well

"Sometimes ninjas do wrong to each other, and in dat way the force of tha earf' comes around da moon - and at that presence, da dirt, it overshadows the grass, so you're like, I can't cut dis grass, there's no sun comin' through. So in order to enable each other the two fruits have to look each other in da eye and understand we can only be right, as da ripe is wrong, you know what I mean?"

-HNIC

Status
Double
Yeah, I'm interested in seeing what people can do with it! I already know a couple things that I want to use it for.

Confused Moogles FTW