Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
"randomly slice" Scimitar counter bug

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(04-12-2021, 10:50 AM)assassin Wrote: i didn't think that there was a way to counter a specific weapon used with Fight/Capture/etc., so am skeptical that this would work at all.  think about it: if it did, we probably would rarely have seen the FC 03 bug where monsters with that script command would, after having the specified item used on them once, counter all sorts of unrelated attacks until a different item was used.  if the weapon ID could overwrite the Item ID variable, the bug's manifestation would've been far rarer.

if you're embracing counter+final squelching for the Chainsaw dice-up, maybe go the extra step as seibaby said, and have the utilized Scimitar effect call/branch to the Odin/X-Zone/etc. code to alter Variable $341A.  he did make a pretty solid case about the sword and summon names, after all. Smile unless i unearth evidence that Blue Dragon was visiting the outskirts of the Lost Woods, or the electronics section of the store where Marge Simpson bought her trusty Chanel dress...

also, won't your method now have monsters skip counters when killed by conventional Chainsaw damage?

So actually, I did more testing, and you are half right. It appears my initial testing was flawed. The code I put up in my previous link only works with the Chainsaw.  I think it might have actually been a bug that it sometimes appeared to be working with the Scimitar (HadesGigas was supposed to counter 100% of the time and sometimes did not).  The Chainsaw, however, works 100% with my code above.  I even made sure by having HadesGigas counter the chainsaw with Fire, and he did it 20+ times.

I found another way to fix both the Scimitar/Chainsaw issue, although it's a complex one.  If you stop a monster from countering after death altogether, then the Scimitar bug will not happen.  So, I set up HadesGigas to stop countering as a death move AFTER your party reaches a certain level (and instead counters as a 1/3 chance while still alive). This means by the time you get the Scimitar and encounter HadesGigas in the Veldt/Zozo, the bug should not happen. Most late-game monsters that counter after death are immune to instant death attacks anyway, so early game monsters can be set up just like HadesGigas:

Code:
F0 EE EE EF    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Special
FD             ; Wait until the attack sequence is called upon again, then continue (reset targeting)
F0 EE EE FE    ; Rand. spell: Battle or Battle or Nothing
FF             ; End first wave of attack
FC 03 A6 A6    ; If monster has been affected by item: <ER>Chainsaw or <ER>Chainsaw, will target attacker
FE             ; End If and reset targeting
FC 0F 44 14    ; If random ally's level is greater or equal than 20 (random target if many)
FC 12 00 00    ; If following monster is/are dead:
FC 0F 44 14    ; If random ally's level is greater or equal than 20 (random target if many)
FC 05 00 00    ; If monster has been attacked
F1 43          ; Targeting: allies
F0 BC FE FE    ; Rand. spell: Magnitude8 or Nothing or Nothing
FC 12 00 00    ; If following monster is/are dead:
F1 43          ; Targeting: allies
F0 BC FE FE    ; Rand. spell: Magnitude8 or Nothing or Nothing
FF             ; End

Oh, and yes, the only downside to this code is that the HadesGigas will not counter against the normal chainsaw attack.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: "randomly slice" Scimitar counter bug - by Lightning - 04-12-2021, 12:32 PM