The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Question About Dialogue Parsing

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
I've been playing with FF6LE Rogue to experiment with event and map editing, and downloaded the source code to mod it to give me a window to extract and parse the event steps based on the event address given so I didn't have to reference a separate file, and I found that my dialogue table that I ripped from the ROM became off by one place starting at index 123 and would display the wrong line.

This happens when Kefka first visits Figaro Castle and Edgar talks to him.  I clicked on Kefka to check his event, and it says to display dialogue box 0x007C (124) = index 123.
[Image: pIFQ5Y5.png]

According to FF3usME, line 123 is this, which is what I was expecting:
[Image: c8ntzAD.png]
The "TROOPER: Allies? The Empire and this back-water, two-bit kingdom?!" line doesn't even appear in FF3usME, however it's there in my lookup table:
[Image: mbNsykc.png]
And it's there in the hex:
[Image: cSo4fxC.png]

So, my dialogue table is simply null-delimited, where it assumes a null (0x00) character indicates the end of a dialogue line and breaks them up accordingly.  However, because FF3usME is skipping this line (possibly because it's unreachable?) and it's not the correct line for the event, I was wondering how to find the actual dialogue index from the hex if it's not just "split by null terminator and then count".  I'm loading the same ROM file into both (FFIII US v1.0, headerless).
  Find

Messages In This Thread
Question About Dialogue Parsing - by Fast Moon - 07-26-2020, 04:55 PM