Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
ZPS File Format

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
Yeah, that's my thoughts on it as well. Even on a simple bug fix though, maybe use a modular patching for compatibility. Not for some small obscure edit that's only a few bytes, but some bug fix that may have conflicts with other popular patches. Like option A if its being applied to a clean rom, options B if you have installed this other patch and so on. Least if I'm understanding the concept of "fancy smart patching". I seem to remember someone doing that for alot of small bug fixes for FF6, maybe, but I don't know if it was a custom program or just an advanced patcher with a compilation of fixes. Or I could be imagining things.

I actually get the feeling I could have used something like this on that last patch I was working on for the portrait side of things. One for using sprites for all portraits, one for all custom in a different style, one for a mix of original and only the extra characters would have custom... You get the idea, anyway, that way the rest of the patch and core features would only be one patch, with options.

I'm just typing a wall of text to repeat the statement of "useful for large complicated patches, but not simple stuff. I'm going to have to mark this thread, think I could have used these ideas on my auction house now that I think of it. Yeah, I did catch that comment about it being "to random". Never thought of it being described that way, but yes I think advanced patching techniques could have covered that if I had thought about it.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
ZPS File Format - by PowerPanda - 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM
RE: ZPS File Format - by madsiur - 07-24-2019, 04:28 PM
RE: ZPS File Format - by Warrax - 07-24-2019, 05:20 PM
RE: ZPS File Format - by Subtraction - 07-25-2019, 02:06 AM
RE: ZPS File Format - by C-Dude - 07-25-2019, 02:17 AM
RE: ZPS File Format - by PowerPanda - 07-25-2019, 10:14 AM
RE: ZPS File Format - by Catone - 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM
RE: ZPS File Format - by madsiur - 07-26-2019, 11:05 AM
RE: ZPS File Format - by Catone - 07-28-2019, 09:44 AM