Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Can monsters be made to display their status?

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Has anyone ever expanded and/or relocated the monster scripts before?  If so, how would one go about doing such?

I'm still in the theorycrafting stage; I want to have a good plan of attack before I dive in.  My current idea is to condense redundant monster abilities (such as Raid and Shimsham, which are easily simulated with Drain and Gravity) and use the spells freed up by discarding Slot from my game to make 'dummy' spells that play certain animations.  For instance, the Haste animation, depleted of its index 1 setting, masks its target and overlays a textured color which is customizable.
Then, I can either have a monster script cast these spells as counters to the presence of certain statuses, or I can write some hex to trigger the casts like the forced "Doom" cast at the end of a condemned counter (preferably with some random element such as with Evil Toot, to avoid a string of long spell casts).

It'd be easiest to do this in a monster script, as described, but as discussed that's going to eat up a LOT of space, way more than there is currently room for.  I know people have expanded things like monster graphics, though, which is why I ask if and how the scripts can be relocated.  Is there a tutorial on the matter?  Alternatively, is there a way to prepare a single block of redundant monster script and then inject it in place of another command (or rather, point to it and return once it has run)?  Like say, setting it up so that putting XX YY ZZ in a monster script will run the monster status script?
Alternatively, if I can code a splicing of Evil Toot and Enemy Roulette, I guess I could insert it right before monsters complete their ready stance (a JMP to and fro somewhere in the vicinity of C2/4E66).

Hrm... wait, I've got another idea.
If I sacrifice one monster slot per formation, I can make a nameless and invisible 'Status' monster with its own script.  It would check the other monsters on screen when it gets a turn, and cast the corresponding 'status' spell on them (randomly from the statuses in play).  That'd solve most of the redundancy problems.  Granted, it limits formations to 4, or 5 for non-Veldt sets, but it might be worth it to have that information on hand for the player.
Any thoughts on that approach?
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can monsters be made to display their status? - by C-Dude - 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM