Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i finally looked at the dialogue changes.  re #1585 and #1586: nice; it's about time!

the dialogue from the old guy and the trooper in the western part of Albrook on FF3us always drove me nuts.  natural sounding with English sentence structure and all, but no clue what the hell they were referring to; thus, borderline incoherent in practice.  with the old guy, he seriously seemed to be continuing his dialogue from the last visit, as if he were relaying a punchline, or building a commerce-related cliffhanger.  (a commenter on the Tomato video theorized that Woolsey reading and translating dialogue blocks in their ROM order swayed this, which makes sense.)  i even wondered whether he was talking about local merchants honing their craft, obliquely continuing the westernmost townsperson's optimism about the economy.

over 1.5 decades ago, after awaiting clarity for years, i was thrilled to read the Sky Render translation of this, a definite improvement that dropped the "tightwads" nonsense and actually elaborated.

but it turns out my waiting was far from over, as that had its flaws as well!

so between yours and hairy_hen's scripts, i'm delighted to get more clarity yet.  that's over half of my life i wondered what those clowns were saying; talk about a slowly developing punchline! (a smarter and more industrious person would have just learned Japanese in that timespan, and had a few years to spare to pick up another language, or perhaps join a troupe of acrobats...  hey, i make up for all these insufficiencies with supernatural patience.)

and people wonder why this game is still being edited 2.5 decades after release.  as if everything after a certain year is all hair-splitting, "fresh takes", or hyper-academic pedantry.  no, man; it's about telling ol' Assassin what the people in Albrook are babbling about, so i can finally sleep soundly at night!  some hairs are apparently thick enough to have incoherency on one side and coherency on the other.

TLDR; i'm glad you addressed #1585 and #1586. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-01-2021), hairy_hen (03-27-2022)

Messages In This Thread
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by assassin - 04-10-2021, 09:37 PM
RE: C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix - by REDTITAN - 10-06-2021, 11:12 PM