* You voted for this item. Show Results

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The future of the shoutbox

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 236
Thanks Given: 57
Status
Tissue-aware
(04-10-2016, 11:01 PM)Catone Wrote: The main reason the shoutbox is used/is popular at all, is because it is simple, stupid, and lazy. While you seem to realize this, you also seem to file them all as reasons to get rid of it, instead of reasons it gets used. As Tenka said, its already there and loaded, checked while passing through. And, so simple to toss in a comment without ever actually commiting yourself to the conversation. Wether it stays or goes, please keep in mind the all the features in the world can't always replace simplicity.

The first post (and poll) states we would do a trial period with the chat. If a majority want the shoutbox back and/or if the chat is less popular than the shoutbox, I'll gladly bring it back and close the chat. I actually want to leave the final decision to the community rather than deciding alone, hence the reason of this thread the poll (which result is fairly eloquent). I hope your understand my point of considering having both the chat and the shoutbox being useless (regardless of which one stay) because one I consider being inferior put its shadow on the other because it's what people are used to. If I was the one deciding the shoutbox would have been scrapped since two weeks and we'd already be in chat trial. I don't see anything wrong with pushing and advocating something I consider a better for the forum. Tenka and others are entitled to their opinion and I respect them, while having the right to find a statement inaccurate and argument back.

(04-10-2016, 11:01 PM)Catone Wrote: Also, while I'm here I must say, what's with the on going trend of giving people less reasons to ever open the forum page at all? Honestly, it's more of a rhetorical question than anything, I find myself not really concerned regardless, but first the seperate wiki, then the seperate chat... is that the intended goal or just coincidence? Again, its rhetorical. I actually did like it here once, would like to know its still going rather than being upgraded into oblivion.

More a useless question than a rethorical one. Since I don't have time to code a complete wiki plugin for myBB, I had to go for a third party solution. I also not have the time to code a forum plugin for a wiki engine, hence the reason why myBB is a separated entity of Dokuwiki. The wiki is considered a good thing by everyone except you maybe (I'm trying to find the positivity in your statement but can't find any). It's probably going to surpass the RHDN FF6 wiki entry eventually (it already does on some sections thanks to a few committed members). I'd like to point out that the RHDN and Slick wikis are also separated from their respective forums and I'm sure their admin did not had in mind to upgrade their site into oblivion when they created their wiki.

If you'd actually consider everything that I say instead of only what suits you, you'd have noticed I'm saying in my last post I'm gonna try coding a Discord shoutbox in two weeks. Again that is not something I consider to "upgrade [the forum] into oblivion". Whether you like it or not here is the last of my concern when I consider that the general appreciation is fairly good. I though I'd not read useless interventions but the second part of your post is the first one to my knowledge since your post in the alternate $C2 disassembly thread. Congratz!
  Find

Messages In This Thread
The future of the shoutbox - by madsiur - 04-09-2016, 06:38 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by Tenkarider - 04-09-2016, 07:10 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by madsiur - 04-09-2016, 07:49 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by Lockirby2 - 04-09-2016, 07:43 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by Tenkarider - 04-09-2016, 09:12 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by madsiur - 04-09-2016, 09:15 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by Gi Nattak - 04-09-2016, 09:24 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by madsiur - 04-09-2016, 10:00 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by Badass - 04-10-2016, 11:37 PM
RE: The future of the shoutbox - by madsiur - 04-10-2016, 11:44 PM