The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 895 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.3.33 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 895 errorHandler->error

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
More Character Palettes

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
I had to wonder, exactly why it wasn't possible to have more npc palettes. Sure plenty have dreamed, better than me have tried, I just wanted to see why.

After some head scratching and debug watching, the game seems to load every overworld character palette every time a character or npc is drawn. Least that's how I saw it work. This being 256 bytes, or, 8 palettes. If you were to load more, you'd have to have a place to put them so, yeah thats a good reason you can't have more than 8 overworld palettes. Least I buy it.

On the other hand, with very carefull planning and creative spriting you still might be able to pull off more than 8 palettes, even with the above limit. By removing the check in the EE bank that forces palette 0-7, you could technically have more palettes.  

That doesn't make sense at all though does it? Well, here's the thing, the check is done in 8bit mode. As I said, with careful planning you could assign a value that after going through the normal multiplication, would come out to an offset half way through the normal palette area.  What good is that? Well if your sprite was done in a way to use properly the bottom half of one palette and the top half of the next palette, you would technically be using a "new" palette (in the very least a different combination of colors than the normal palette would give you).

As for battle palettes, we know for a fact the game can handle 4 differemt player palettes, so who says those four can't be any four from a list of 255? Or at least one bank worth.

So yes it would take some serious planning, and heavy sprite work but you COULD effectivly have... 11? Or more palette variations for overworld sprites.

Either way more work than I'd be willing or able to do, but I don't see why the idea wouldn't work.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
More Character Palettes - by Catone - 12-13-2015, 03:52 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Gi Nattak - 12-13-2015, 04:27 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by madsiur - 12-13-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Catone - 12-13-2015, 05:10 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by madsiur - 12-13-2015, 06:36 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Catone - 12-13-2015, 07:51 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Gi Nattak - 12-13-2015, 08:30 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by madsiur - 12-13-2015, 08:40 PM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Catone - 12-16-2015, 09:10 AM
RE: More Character Palettes - by Catone - 01-02-2016, 12:54 PM