Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC

Threads: 44
Thanks Received: 26
Thanks Given: 21
Status
Zombie
The original plan of expanding sprites up to Ramah (#63) was only going to require about 5 banks to do, meaning it would have fit in the normal 4mb ROM (5 banks includes the space required by the already full character sheets as well, so using the space where the original sprites were would have ment only about 2-3 banks of free space being taken.)

The reason for going to 6mb for that plan was, filling two entire banks would without doubt cause issues with alot of patches, no matter which banks I filled. Also would have required non-continuous placement of sprite sheets, which I just didn't want to attempt to keep track of. Then there's the whole, because I COULD factor with going to 6mb.
In short, it wasn't absolutly required to go to 6mb with the original plan.

The new plan, if every sheet was expanded to full PC size, will take from 41/0000 to 50/0000. That is if every single sprite sheet is moved out of normal hiRom and into the new area AND if every single sheet is expanded AND including the data for all the expanded tables/code (currently code is allocated from 41/0000 - 41/0A00).
Some of them, there is no rational reason to expand (the flowers, Umaro's skull totem, the diving helmet) and some I'm not even sure how to expand or what to expand (the crain arms that attack the airship, some stuff from Kefka's tower/mtek research facility). So that space estimate above should be a "max" estimate.

To answer the question, yes it should all fit, with room to spare in the extended area, more free space in normal hiROM, and some blank space in C2. That being said, I'm pretty sure there is no way to cram it all into a 4mb ROM at this point (even if I only did stuff that made sense).

As much as I hate to do it, gotta go back to plan A.

That is, enabling the basic NPCs to be battle ready, period. Why?

Well, expanding the battle sprite pointers to the full length of the map pointers, expanding that many sprite sheets, and adding new sprites (while I could probably pull it off in a week or two of grinding based on what I was testing last) would be such a complicated patch it would be worthless as a patch, and next to impossible to use generally speaking. If I had the desire to make my own full game hack, it would be worth doing all this, but I don't.

So, plan A. Will have a patch with combat/party ready basic NPC's. Should even be able to pull this off with breaking anything and it would be useable. Unless I get tied up elsewhere, shouldn't take to long either. Just have to scale it down and put it all together. Already had most of the kinks worked out on this part except for portraits and that shouldn't be to difficult to make work.

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing.
  Find

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mass Sprite Sheet Expansion Battle & NPC - by Catone - 04-11-2015, 07:14 AM