Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation"

Status
None
(10-18-2011, 07:14 PM)Maël Wrote:
(10-17-2011, 12:01 AM)UnknownVirus Wrote:
(10-16-2011, 10:22 PM)Maël Wrote: I find this idea intriguing — how much of the GBA script are you planning to import, as compared with retranslations of the original Japanese (if you happen to have access to any, that is)?
Good question. The GBA script is a good one, yet it has some parts still straying from the original in a few places (mostly by keeping old Woolsey lines).
I don't really know how much Woolsey changed, though I have no idea what he was thinking substituting "Terra" for "Tina", and "Celes" was probably either meant to be "Ceres" (a Roman goddess) or "Cerise" (the French word for "cherry", which is my guess, since her surname is "Chere"). A few other things, like "Pearl" for "Holy" were interesting, but also unnecessary (and having pearl-elemental magic is nonsensical).

I'm back from a short trip.

You see, Woolsey did good and bad changes. Most bad changes were poor decisions in the dialogue script, not just because of having little time to finish it (which explains the mistranslated lines), but also because he put too much needless humor that wasn't there in the original game. Some lines were dumbed down to silly one-liners that are the source of all the nostalgia that all the people (who played the game at age ten) feel.

Terra was named as such because "Tina" sounds exotic to Japanese people, but is no biggie to Western people. Naming her Terra was a great choice. Celes... well, there might be an R/L double entendre in Japanese trying to evoke "celestial" and "cherry" but the official romanization of the name is Celes (the ending of the JP version has the names written in their official romanizations), no need to change it. And I think that "celestial" fits her more than just "cherry".
Now, Sabin is called Mash in Japan. Mash (マッシュ) is supposed to be short for Macías (マシアス), but IIRC that detail is only in the Square sourcebooks, so we would have ended up with a weird name that sounds like a TV war drama. That's the point of localization, make the content of the game easier for the new audience, but localization does not mean loss of quality, which is what damages FF6 SNES.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by Maël - 10-18-2011, 07:14 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by SXV - 10-25-2011, 07:33 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by Maël - 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by Maël - 10-19-2011, 12:07 AM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by Maël - 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM
RE: Final Fantasy VI: The Redemption "Translation" - by flamemasterelan - 06-05-2012, 12:00 AM