Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
T-edition sprites/portraits patch

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 1
Status
None
(05-02-2023, 05:55 PM)dummyaccount Wrote: Also, the "slightly different version" of this hack that you posted doesn't work either. Lunar IPS says that it is not an IPS file.

Yes, I am specifically referring to the fix you posted later in the thread here. As of right now, that link has one recorded download, and that was by me. I tried to apply that patch to see if it would work in place of the original one. Lunar IPS gave me an error message that said it was not an ips file even though it had an ips extension. I am not sure why.
  Find

Threads: 4
Thanks Received: 8
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Ok, thanks for the feedback. I fixed the 1st post with the correct version to avoid confusion.
  Find

Status
None
Good news is that it works so far. I want to test the game up until Figaro where I can see Kefka again. Kefka in the opening sequence looks fine as he is updated with the T-edition sprite. However, during Terra's memory scene, he kind of looked like missingno from the first generation pokemon games. Though Locke and Terra look correct.

Edit: Yeah, Kefka is walking up to the castle right now. It looks the game can't decide whether to use the original design or the T-edition design. Some frames it's the OG kefka, some frames it's the T-edition one, and the other frames just look corrupted. Speaking personally, I just never liked that Terra had the purple shoulder pads. I would be happy with a patch that just changes her design to the T-edition style if that's possible. It seems like troubleshooting could be a mess, or it could just be competing sprite maps, I don't know.
  Find

Status
None
I had messaged another FF6hacking user, and they suggested it could be a conflict with @PowerPanda 's "Everbody gets a chocobo!" patch, which apparently reorders a bunch of sprite graphics. ROSE uses this patch in the compilation, which is probably what is causing the issue. This sprite patch would probably have to be tweaked in order to be compatible. However, I imagine if this is the issue, then the solution would just be to reorder the T-edition sprites the same way Panda's hack does.
  Find

Status
None
Oh sure ... Divergent Paths do two non-vanilla things with character sprites. 16 chars in place of 14 but i bet the real deal is the "Everybody gets a Chocobo" patch (a patch that adds a Chocobo stance to Banon, Leo, Ghost etc). I'll try to make an alt version specific for Divergent Paths, if that's what you are playing now. My actual patch misses my dark Leo edit (i thought it's better to keep it separated), but I'll include it by default for power panda's hack, being Leo in the main cast
  Find

Status
None
(05-07-2023, 04:29 PM)Gens Wrote: Oh sure ... Divergent Paths do two non-vanilla things with character sprites. 16 chars in place of 14 but i bet the real deal is the "Everybody gets a Chocobo" patch (a patch that adds a Chocobo stance to Banon, Leo, Ghost etc). I'll try to make an alt version specific for Divergent Paths, if that's what you are playing now.

Not exactly, I am playing SilentEnigma's FF6 ROSE. It uses that specific patch, but it keeps the game very close to vanilla. Meaning Leo is not a playable character and there should be only 14 characters. I am not sure about the specifics of Panda's hack in particular. An alternate version for divergent paths would be good for the people who want it, but for me, it just needs to be tweaked around Panda's "Everybody gets a chocobo" patch. Sorry if that makes more work for you.
  Find

Status
None
Try this one. Thanks for your feedbacks.

Attached Files
.ips  [n]ted_sprites_egac.ips (107.18 KB, 16 downloads)
  Find

Status
None
Good news. I tested the game up until the fight after Figaro dives into the sand. Kefka no longer has any sprite issues and looks exactly as he should. Again, I did not test the game very far. However, I must mention that I found a bug with the battle sprites. Locke's phoenix is no longer visible and is replaced by a neon green outline of where the phoenix is supposed to be. The glitch does not appear outside of battle, but once in battle, there is even noticeable green on his arms when he attacks. Hopefully the image works. I have no idea how the website does these things.

Edit: Alright, posting the image is too complicated. Hopefully you can recreate what I am talking about. It was very apparent after I used fire on the magitek armor when that specific cutscene played.
  Find

Status
None
That's a known bug. The last 4 colors indexes into the palette aren't usable for battle and menu sprites. Egger's patch remove this limitation but it's kinda intrusive (expand the rom). So, considering how battle poses never show the Phoenix i found a compromise, keeping the red just for the "town" sprite. Unluckily a pair of cutscenes uses a battle "environment" (the espers riding Vector for example) and Locke shows his back with glitched colors.
  Find

Status
None
Gotcha, that was the only issue that I found. That seems like a small price to pay for the sprites that are based off of Amano's original concept art. Thanks for putting in the extra leg-work to make this patch work. I really appreciate it.
  Find