Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Narshe's map and battle overhaul project

Threads: 9
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 5
Status
Sneak
Hey. So, some months ago, while thinking about the Battle of Narshe, I kinda of realized how underwhelming that part really is. You see, the concept of a direct fight against a whole imperial troop right after the party's reunion, in one of the most cool areas of the game, Narshe, is really awesome. However, in execution, it's not that impressive, and the main reason is that the battlefield per se is not that impressive. The cliff is just too small and the only obstacles are those rocks that form a kind of maze.

With that in mind, I came to the conclusion that the battle would be just much more cool if it actually occured in the town, instead. However, the vanilla map of Narshe is not very suited for that, as it's design consists of, basically, a long cross shaped road: the imperial soldiers would just walk straight towards you.

I then began experimenting with tweaking Narshe's design to fit that goal, with more bifurcations and alleys. But I quickly concluded that just making some alterations on the current's design wouldn't be enough, so I decided to create it from scratch.

[Image: pbGQDF1.png]

In this design, I took a very labyrinth-like approach, there are a lot of alleys and small passages, so that to the feeling of the cliff remains, but in a much larger scale. I also mirrored its orientation horizontally: Arvis' house is now on the northwest section, and the mines entrance is on the east. However, note that the signs in the buildings don't mean anything, as I haven't yet planned all of the interior section of the city.

Also, I made this using Tiled, and before actually hacking this into the game (with Rogue CE), I would like to listen to what you guys think about it, as it is not entirely finished yet. I'm aware that, possibly, editing the battle itself might be just too hard, but even then, the design already is pretty cool by itself, so I decided to share it regardless.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to tomilho for this post:
  • Joshua H. (06-22-2022), madsiur (05-28-2022)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Wow, that is quite an edit! I'd imagine it would be incredibly ambitious to make it so the battle takes place there, I couldn't begin to think of how it'd work. The map NPC limit would still be a glaring issue to consider, but it certainly looks cool. I'm not sure if Rogue CE could handle this, might need to switch over to FF6LE-CE which can handle all sorts of expansions, just to avoid having any map-tile errors. I can't imagine how the battle would go down here instead of the cliff, would the party characters be in different sections of the town? Or all together at the top like the cliff battle was? I'd guess that the soldiers are trying to get to the top? I feel that the Narshe cliff map is ideal for the battle due to the max number of NPC allowed on the map though, this might feel too large in comparison, but...maybe not? It'd be a ton of work regardless.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
You can get around the map NPC limit with a few tricks. Mainly, you can add a subroutine to the entrance event that runs only during the Kefka at Narshe event (between scenarios completed event flag and Kefka defeated event flag) wherein you reposition all the town NPCs with 'wait until complete' action queues, change their graphics and palettes to that of soldiers with event commands 37 and 43, and change their event address with event command 7A. That's what I did to recycle the Select a Scenario screen without moving a single NPC.
Code:
CA34D7: {37-11-06}            Assign graphics $06 to object $11 (NPC 1)
CA34DA: {43-11-00}            Assign palette $00 to character $11 (NPC 1)
CA34DD: {37-10-08}            Assign graphics $08 to object $10 (NPC 0)
CA34E0: {43-10-03}            Assign palette $03 to character $10 (NPC 0)
CA34E3: {7A-10-C5-35-00}      Change event address for object $10 to address $CA35C5
CA34E8: {7A-11-3A-35-00}      Change event address for object $11 to address $CA353A
CA34ED: {7A-13-81-35-00}      Change event address for object $13 to address $CA3581
You'll have to get comfortable doing something like that anyway because the tower defense scenarios work by having the soldiers walk a set path until they reach the end of their route, wherein they run game over code. An ambitious project but a very clever idea, I wish you luck.

P.S., make sure you update Lone Wolf's routing too.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to C-Dude for this post:
  • tomilho (05-28-2022)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(05-25-2022, 04:57 PM)C-Dude Wrote: You can get around the map NPC limit with a few tricks.  Mainly, you can add a subroutine to the entrance event that runs only during the Kefka at Narshe event (between scenarios completed event flag and Kefka defeated event flag) wherein you reposition all the town NPCs with 'wait until complete' action queues, change their graphics and palettes to that of soldiers with event commands 37 and 43, and change their event address with event command 7A.  That's what I did to recycle the Select a Scenario screen without moving a single NPC.
Code:
CA34D7: {37-11-06}            Assign graphics $06 to object $11 (NPC 1)
CA34DA: {43-11-00}            Assign palette $00 to character $11 (NPC 1)
CA34DD: {37-10-08}            Assign graphics $08 to object $10 (NPC 0)
CA34E0: {43-10-03}            Assign palette $03 to character $10 (NPC 0)
CA34E3: {7A-10-C5-35-00}      Change event address for object $10 to address $CA35C5
CA34E8: {7A-11-3A-35-00}      Change event address for object $11 to address $CA353A
CA34ED: {7A-13-81-35-00}      Change event address for object $13 to address $CA3581
You'll have to get comfortable doing something like that anyway because the tower defense scenarios work by having the soldiers walk a set path until they reach the end of their route, wherein they run game over code.  An ambitious project but a very clever idea, I wish you luck.

P.S., make sure you update Lone Wolf's routing too.

That is cleaver indeed, I was assuming he would make a duplicate version/copy of the map for the Narshe Battle to avoid having to update the NPC queues, Lone Wolf and whatever else. Might be more practical if he has enough NPC spots or 'upgrades' to FF6LE-CE. The NPC limit is still going to be just 22 (I think) that can be shown at once, and that's counting the playable characters.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Very impressive! I really like that design. I'm guessing the M-tek armors would only be able to walk a straight path in the opening sequence?
  Find