Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Random Encounters Menu Option

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I updated the hack to v1.1a. The free space used in bank $C3 for the on/off options hack is now 118 bytes instead of 186 bytes. I also added a patch for the multi options hack that use Divergent Paths random encounters incrementor values (75% of the vanilla values). The previous multi options hack remain unchanged. See original post for the updated readme and download.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • SSJ Rick (02-26-2022)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
This is a fantastic addition! Would it be compatible with Brave New World? They removed the Moogle Charm from that hack, but there were times I just wanted to move on without getting stuck in battles all the time. This would've helped wonders!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ok Impala! for this post:
  • madsiur (01-31-2022)

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-31-2022, 03:39 AM)Ok Impala! Wrote: This is a fantastic addition! Would it be compatible with Brave New World? They removed the Moogle Charm from that hack, but there were times I just wanted to move on without getting stuck in battles all the time. This would've helped wonders!

Thanks! I doubt the patches are compatible with BNW. But if the hack has some contiguous free space in bank $C3 ($BA bytes for the 4 options hack), you could change "!FreeSpaceC3 = $C3F091" to that free space and try it by assembling the ASM files. Same goes for bank $C0, but the hacks require much less free space there.

Edit: Now that I think of it, BNW does some heavy work in the config menus so the hack might not be compatible at all.
  Find

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I've been getting a lot of messages from folks that would want a version compatible with TWUE as well as it seems to have some issues. I haven't tested it myself, and I wonder if the compatibility might be due to the 255 clock or the Class Names being added.

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(02-24-2022, 12:26 PM)Rodimus Primal Wrote: I've been getting a lot of messages from folks that would want a version compatible with TWUE as well as it seems to have some issues. I haven't tested it myself, and I wonder if the compatibility might be due to the 255 clock or the Class Names being added.

Yesterday I answered someone regarding this on the rhdn Discord server. I think there is a conflict in the free space used at $C3F091. If this is the only issue it won't be hard to make it compatible if you have 186 ($BA) bytes of free space in bank $C3 for the 0%/50%/100%/150% hack (the on/off hack use less free space). I know you also have an optional music player patch so ideally the compatibility patch should not interfere with this as well as it also use free space in bank $C3. I'll look into it today or Saturday.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • Rodimus Primal (02-24-2022)

Status
Tissue-aware
So, I tested this a bit and it seems to work now with TWUE. What need to be changed in the main assembly file of any of the two hacks is this:

Code:
!FreeSpaceC3 = $C3F530

As suspected, there was a conflict in the original free space at $C3F091. $C3F530 has a large block of unused bytes. I tested with the following two patches applied:

Code:
Final Fantasy VI (TWUE 3.06) + Bug Fixes & Add-Ons.ips
TWUE - Music Player Main Menu A.ips

I tested most of the menu and was able to play the intro and disable encounters in Narshe Mines with the 0%/50%/100%/150% hack. I included the two patches in attachment. Note that there is a possibility of conflict in the code with the config 1 music player menu option, I did not look into this.

.zip  encounters-twue-nh.zip (923 bytes, 9 downloads)
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • qaplus (10-08-2023), Rodimus Primal (02-26-2022)

Threads: 47
Status
None
Cool patch. Know anyone who manage to add "higher encounter rate" on relic?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(04-18-2022, 08:36 PM)doofenH Wrote: Cool patch. Know anyone who manage to add "higher encounter rate" on relic?

You could repurpose the Charm Bangle flag as an higher encounter flag, you'd just need to edit the two Charm Bangle tables (see the asm of this hack for their location).
  Find

Threads: 0
Status
None
Quote:A final note; if you use one of the three hacks you'll need to restart a new
game to have it work correctly, because the correct SRAM initialization is
done at the beginning of the game. An alternative is to use bsnes+ debugger,
load a game and before entering the main menu go to debugger -> memory editor,
then type 7E1E1F and edit the value there to a value between 00 to 01 for
the on/off options hack and 00 to 03 for the multi options hack.

What happens if you do not start a new save?  I'm about 10 hours into a TWUE playthrough, and I applied the on/off options hack, and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell.  I was just wondering if this will cause issues later on?
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(03-18-2024, 11:38 PM)buvk Wrote: What happens if you do not start a new save?  I'm about 10 hours into a TWUE playthrough, and I applied the on/off options hack, and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell.  I was just wondering if this will cause issues later on?

iirc, that unused memory byte has a value of 0x55 throughout the game. If it's the case, the hack won't be able to handle that value correctly because it needs to be 0 or 1. If the hack is working as intended no need to worry though, it can't have other side effect.
  Find