Antinomia: FF6

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 14
Thanks Given: 2
Status
None
(09-04-2021, 07:14 PM)Endarire Wrote: @Fast Moon
Looks exciting!  How fares progress?

Sorry for no updates in a while!  The current section is quite complicated (I'm restructuring a lot of the WoR flow) and has a lot of branches that need to be tested.  Also, I was working from home all of last year and therefore had a lot of extra time due to no commute, but I've been back in the office since March which has really cut into my time to dedicate to working on this.  I'm hoping to be able to have more time in a few months to really get back into it.  But I most certainly haven't dropped it!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • PowerPanda (11-07-2021)

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
I totally understand. Right after I started Divergent Paths, I got a promotion in my day job, and my dream job as a side gig. Turned a 6 month project into a 4 year project. But life happens, and we'll all still play your project when it comes.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
I liiiiiiive.

The other stuff I had going on that had been keeping me from this project is complete, and after a vacation, I'm back to working on this!  Previously I had finished up to the end of the WoB, and I'm picking back up on continuing to work through the new WoR introductory event and its piles of conditional statements.

Thankfully I'd documented the ever-loving heck out of this project with notes on every address that I'd touched and what it was for, every line of dialogue that was altered or added and where, and every save state I had (I'm at 50, lol).  So, it was actually amazingly easy to just pick up where I left off.  This WoR event is still going to be a chore to get through with all its branches, but I am at least working on it again.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • madsiur (09-03-2022), PowerPanda (09-02-2022)

Status
None
So if you want proof that I'm actually working on this again, here's the event that had been giving me such a headache now that I've gotten back to it and smoothed out most of the bugs:

[Image: HGiP1mQ.png]

So, now in the World of Ruin we're staring with Terra instead of Celes.  Terra gets to Mobliz right after Kefka destroys it and there's still corpses of the kids' parents floating around, because the world is horrible now.

[Image: 2miEJwi.png]

Terra may not have figured out the whole "love" thing yet, but she's not a jerk, so she offers to help out around town.  If only she knew what she's set herself up for...

[Image: Y7LYoJ3.png]

Katarin is there to dole out the chores.  The fishing event has been repurposed here, but even though there's water around, there's no "beach" tiles in this tileset to allow Terra access to the water, so she's stuck with the other NPC mob that has an overworld sprite: rats.

[Image: Pi08RBh.png]

And just like in "Demolition Man", rat burgers are what's on the menu here.  However, this time around she's not just picking up the rats, she's fighting them, too.  And because this also serves the purpose of keeping the rats out of the crops, it's prudent to kill all of them whether they're edible or not for maximum points.  Therefore, there's at least an option whether you want to keep the meat to not unfairly hurt your score.

[Image: JbBnU9F.png]

But because I'm a masochist, pest-control isn't the only chore Katarin might randomly dish out to keep Terra on her toes.  Because I love dozens of branch statements whose address references all get thrown off if I decide I need to set an extra bit flag somewhere (like realizing I needed the scoring to differentiate between Terra killing all the rats on the field and the 1/16 chance that it doesn't spawn any rats to begin with and therefore needing to insert a flag, causing everything to shift.  Gaaahhh)

[Image: iKTylBA.png]

And if Terra isn't up to snuff, we're killing little Timmy.  (ignore the "0" at the end, I currently have the scores associated with each dialogue option written on them to keep track of how the score is progressing more easily)

For some reason the background timer that ticks down the score every second in the original Solitary Island event doesn't play nice with the Mobliz map, as it causes the map to shift one tile to the left every time it resets, and disables Katarin's speaking event if it resets while she's on screen, which was causing weird softlocks.  So for this version, I ended up getting rid of the timer and now there's just a set number of points you lose every time the score is calculated which is equal to the average amount of time it takes to perform the collection of tasks you're given for any given round.  So if you really wanted to you can lose really fast by talking to Katarin repeatedly and doing nothing else.
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Fast Moon for this post:
  • madsiur (09-17-2022), rhonryderz (09-07-2022)

Status
None
All right, the new WoR intro event is finally done in all of its branches.  Just like Celes's intro event, there's two different endings depending on whether or not Terra is successful in her chores, and I still had to code the "good" one.

[Image: HHcTitB.png]

But things go downhill from there either way when it turns out there's a nasty monster lurking around outside of town.

[Image: m7no9pp.png]

Terra's gotta solo this again, except this time she's expected to win, or at least chase it off, so Humbaba's stats and abilities have been nerfed a bit to make that possible (I removed 1000 Needles/Blow Fish from its moveset because that's just a dick move)

[Image: mJvlMcX.png]

So, the next item on the agenda is... re-recruiting Celes, actually.  The WoR events are still happening as they did in the original game, it's just this time around the narrative focus was on a different character.  The only change is that I'm going to have Celes's raft wash up in Mobliz instead of outside of Albrook, and that'll kick of Terra leaving town like it did before.

But one thing I wanted to ask some thoughts on is what I should do about Cid's fate.  The fishing event didn't happen onscreen, so I just have to manually declare an outcome of that.  I was originally considering having Cid be dead by default, but then I thought maybe I should tie his fate to the outcome of Terra's rat-hunting event, except make it a Luzzu/Gatta scenario: Cid's fate is the opposite of whatever Terra's kid's is. One of them will die and your actions determine which. So your party setting out into the World of Ruin is always Sad Girl and Hopeful Girl, but the outcome determines who's who.
  Find
  • madsiur (09-17-2022)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Glad to see you've returned to working on this amazing hack! This all looks...amazing! I hope progress continues to go smooth. Smile
As for you're question about Cid, well, I'd probably just have him be dead and advance the story as such. Although what you mentioned sounds interesting!

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
None
(09-16-2022, 09:05 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Glad to see you've returned to working on this amazing hack! This all looks...amazing! I hope progress continues to go smooth. Smile
As for you're question about Cid, well, I'd probably just have him be dead and advance the story as such. Although what you mentioned sounds interesting!

Yeah.  On the other hand, if Cid is always dead, then Celes will have experience behind her to help convince Terra to leave the town even if she failed to save one of the kids, since she would have gone through something similar herself.  I had also been considering that eventually going to the Solitary Island would trigger a flashback sequence of Celes's event (if she's in the party), and then have a party-specific scene of the other characters consoling her, since in the original game none of the other characters are ever explicitly made aware of what happened to her.
  Find

Status
None
Celes re-recruitment is DONE!  And just like Terra, I, too, have been trapped in Mobliz for an entire year slaving away, but now after a pretty much entirely custom-coded event sequence aside from the final Humbaba fight, I can finally LEAVE.

Terra finds Celes all washed up.

[Image: Xau23Wc.png]

The "bad" ending on the Solitary Island still happened, but... that'll come to light later.

[Image: ogr6vNc.png]

Celes wakes up and immediately tries to recruit Terra to go get the old band back together, but Terra's spent a year as a solo act and she's kinda not up to it.

[Image: zTv8xAd.png]

So, Celes leaves to go found Chere and the Treasure Hunters or something.

[Image: j8FmEq0.png]

But she doesn't get too far before a big green Solar Plexing monster stomps in and she and Terra kick its butt.

[Image: l5TrP5y.png]

Terra decides she's okay to go if the monster's gone, so it's off on our grand adventure!

[Image: QfJTJaV.png]

I've modified the WoR overworld map so that Terra can't go anywhere but Mobliz at the beginning by removing the bridge to the southern continent and breaking apart the Serpent Trench continent.  After completing this event, a bridge allowing access to the western half of the Serpent Trench appears, allowing the two of them to go find Edgar, which is next on the agenda.  That event will play out mostly as it was originally, but now that the party chasing down Edgar is guaranteed to be two girls, well... gonna have to add some commentary on that.  Tongue
  Find
  • rhonryderz (09-28-2022)

Status
None
All right, finally finished the updates to the Edgar re-recruitment event.  I had originally just intended to tweak a couple lines of dialogue, but then I got overly-ambitious and added a lengthy new scene at the end which required some map edits.

[Image: 36u0PVV.png]

Terra hasn't seen a soul aside from the Mobliz children for the past year and is excited to find out that they weren't the last people on earth.

Terra and Celes find someone who looks an awful lot like Edgar, but...

[Image: JaeLsZj.png]
[Image: TLRE2X7.png]
[Image: WKb8i18.png]
[Image: oQVFsXq.png]

After that's all sorted out, Edgar apologizes for giving them the cold shoulder

[Image: 59F6JzH.png]

And immediately tries to make it up for lost attention in typical Edgar style.

[Image: lODTctK.png]
[Image: 0TgxVG2.png]

He knows Celes has a thing for Color palette 01.

[Image: cvZMVzd.png]

But also, since we skipped Albrook in this version, we didn't get all the NPC dialogue telling us about the state of the world.  Thankfully, Edgar's been out intel-gathering all year and he's here to catch us up.

[Image: 0aRmpd3.png]
[Image: SG3njvV.png]

And one thing he's got to report is the state of Vector, which was wiped off the map in WoR.  It's weird that the original game barely touched on the Empire just... ceasing to exist, though everyone I suppose was more worried about Kefka.  But here, since Leo's still out there somewhere, it's gonna be a bigger deal.

... Which means I need to really nail down WHERE he is and what he's doing, since I'll need to code another entire original event to get him back, and since next stop is Setzer, which I'm not planning to do much different with, that's gonna be coming up soon as an availability.
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
(11-20-2022, 08:30 PM)Fast Moon Wrote: And one thing he's got to report is the state of Vector, which was wiped off the map in WoR.  It's weird that the original game barely touched on the Empire just... ceasing to exist, though everyone I suppose was more worried about Kefka.  But here, since Leo's still out there somewhere, it's gonna be a bigger deal.

... Which means I need to really nail down WHERE he is and what he's doing, since I'll need to code another entire original event to get him back, and since next stop is Setzer, which I'm not planning to do much different with, that's gonna be coming up soon as an availability.

Someone in Tzen (or perhaps it was Albrook) does mention that 'on that day' there was a vortex that sucked everything into the center of the continent.  The presence of Magitek Factory elements and Imperial Palace suggests that Vector was crushed by this debris and became part of Kefka's Tower.

Just keep an eye out for strings that mention that if you're removing that element from the Empire's fall.

Code:
[caption #2232]

On THAT day, debris from all over the world floated eerily to the center of this land mass, and formed that tower_
The string's relative position suggests WoR Albrook.

EDIT: As for places to reintroduce Leo... hmm...
WoR Albrook doesn't have any recruits in WoR and you said you passed it, so that might be a good place to put Leo.  Narshe is already character-bloated and so is the Maranda-Jidoor-Zozo continent (though Cyan takes both Maranda AND Zozo, so maybe another recruit in Maranda could work).
  Find