Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What's the best or most stable SNES emulator for PSP?

Status
None
Doubleposting from GBAtemp forums as it may be relevant to people here.

Currently use:
SNES9xTYLcm 0.4.2 Mod Rev. 28
Built on Sep 28, 2015 with GCC 4.6.2
CRC32 Hash: 0xEAC3358D

It has problems with freezing up on Actraiser, and is far too slow to play Kirby Super Star. It slows down during the title sequence of Actraiser as well.

If I leave the emulator by any means other than closing from it's built-in menu, saves are not written. Thus if it freezes and I haven't closed the emulator the correct way, my progress is lost even if I saved.

This is clearly unacceptable, and I'd like to know if there are any other emulators for the PSP, or if I should get a GBA and a flash cart instead (or if there are any other handheld emulation options that don't cost $400). A DS or whatever they are called would be acceptable if it can play romhacks and FFTA2, which I haven't played, but I know nothing about the different versions of that system and would need a quick rundown.

I want to play quite a few SNES romhacks but unless I can guarantee I won't be redoing large chunks of the game due to software failures there's no point in trying. If anyone else is in the same boat as me, I hope this thread assists them.

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
SNES9xTYL is the best snes emulator on PSP AFAIK and the PSP is noticeably better than the DS at emulation. You should be able to play most games smoothly on PSP but some games like Kirby Super Star won't play at full frame rate. If emulation exist on 3DS, it might be a good platform to play SNES games at full speed, same with PSP vita but I didn't check so I have no idea, I just know these 2 portables are significantly more performant than the PSP.

Also if you haven't make sure to overclock the PSP to 333mhz.

There's multiple versions of this emulator so trying different version might give different results. The latest version I've found date from 2018 but seems to be from a different author: https://github.com/esmjanus/snes9xTYL/tree/mecm/Release which has a build usable on PSP Vita.

Find

Status
None
Looks like this is the best emulator for PSP E1004.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/whats-the-be...sp.572270/
https://gbatemp.net/download/snes-emulat...lme.35002/

I was mistaken, that PSP model is I guess the cheap version made at the end of the system's life cycle. Has 64 MB RAM, no Ad-Hoc mode. All in all seems to work.

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
PSP emulation is great for NES, GB, GBC, GBA, SMS, GG, and Genesis, but not really for SNES and 32X. Even with the good emulation though, the screen's refresh rate will get in your way. There's ghosting and pixel blurring that can make some games harder to play. The real utility of a PSP is its ability to run PSX games without emulation.

My current "emulation beast" is a modded New 3DS XL. It does everything except GBA well. Oh, and the rare SMS games that require battery backup.... I combine that with an R4 Gold Card for native DS support.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Status
None
I'll buy a 1st gen GBA with a GBA SP 101 backlit screen mod and a flash cart for GBA emulation.

I got SNES emulation to work with the emulator release in the thread, and settings optimized for speed. It's still a little wonky for some games.

I wish someone would make a general handheld emulation device with 6 face buttons, 2 sticks, a d-pad, select, start, L/R/1/2, 2 screens in a clamshell, a 4 core 1-2.4 GHz RISC-V CPU, a RISC-V GPU, 8 GB RAM, a massive battery, a FPGA powerful enough to replicate a PS2, 32 GB flash memory, a micro/SD card port up to 2 TB, USB ports, 2 speakers, wifi card, headphone jack, Bluetooth, a HDMI port, a flat but ergonomic design with bezeled aluminum, and tough screen covers.

Threads: 49
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(08-26-2020, 02:22 PM)MysticLord Wrote: I wish someone would make a general handheld emulation device with 6 face buttons, 2 sticks, a d-pad, select, start, L/R/1/2, 2 screens in a clamshell, a 4 core 1-2.4 GHz RISC-V CPU, a RISC-V GPU, 8 GB RAM, a massive battery, a FPGA powerful enough to replicate a PS2, 32 GB flash memory, a micro/SD card port up to 2 TB, USB ports, 2 speakers, wifi card, headphone jack, Bluetooth, a HDMI port, a flat but ergonomic design with bezeled aluminum, and tough screen covers.

There's plenty of these on the market. GPD XD is the most well-known, but the RG350M has been getting really good reviews lately.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find