Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Let's discuss Iris Havengard

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Well I sprited her with the intention of being a bit of a similar scenario with Terra, making her appear inhuman as much as possible. My main goal was to make her ethereal, beautiful, and terrible, though I am curious how you have her recolored, can you share a picture? As long as it looks good I guess it doesn't really matter, but I am curious how you would change the portrait I made too? I'm sure it'd be fine, but examples are typically the best way to get a clear response in my experience lol
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
There might be some pixels off from your original version, as I had to reconstruct her from a JPEG I found in a search engine (I had originally thought she was in the sprite database, but it appears she is not).

As for the portrait, I haven't made any moves yet but my hope was to use FF3SE to shuffle her palette, moving the browns where the grays were and vice versa.  I had some success doing that with Relm on another instance, but I've yet to attempt it with Iris.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Find

Threads: 50
Thanks Received: 12
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
The only thing I'd really suggest is maybe give her warped eye (the one with the scar/horn) a blue color instead of brown, which would be super easy to do. The portrait thing, That should be ok? I think I have one more gray color than brown color so it should be an easy transition and you could just turn the pink to blue to match the sprite and I think she would look just as good. There really isn't anyone with hair as vibrant as how you have it, so she should still stand out fairly well. I know I made a monster sprite for her as well, but I'm no monster spriter lol

also Iris' sprite sheet and portrait are in the latest database, under characters: sutebenukun-other-iris
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to LordSutebenu for this post:
  • C-Dude (06-25-2020), madsiur (06-25-2020)

Status
Moog
I actually think using the Maenad from FF4TAY might be a good base for an Iris monster sprite... adding the warped eye to that figure and recoloring her could fit the graphics of the rest of the game while maintaining her otherworldly air.  I'll see what I can come up with (though as ReCast demonstrates, I'm more about stick figures, hahaha).

Thanks for the pointer about the blue eye, I tried it with the darker blue and it really makes the eye stand out.  I thought about using the lighter blue, but I've gotten grief about that before with my Celes.

EDIT: Attached are my two attempts at Iris "Number 024" monster sprites.  The first is a shot at a traditional monster sprite built off a Wii rip of an FF4TAY Maenad (the rip was listed on Spriters Resource by somebody called Pico). The second is a ReCast style monster sprite built from Sutebenu's Iris sprite.
Obviously if the build for Iris edition is intended to be more traditional the first sprite is the better choice.  Still, I'm not sure it holds up; maybe somebody can take what's here and make something better with it.

Attached Files
.png  Maenad Iris 3.PNG (1.04 KB, 31 downloads)
.png  No 24 - Iris (Sutebenu).png (373 bytes, 31 downloads)
  Find

Status
Moog
I know this is a dead thread, but... Abyssonym recently came up with some code that would be an exceptional fit for Iris Havengard if someone wants to take up the project.

It's a feature present in Beyond Chaos Community Edition (and I believe Beyond Chaos Gaiden as well). He calls it 'junctioning' (in honor of FF8): when equipped with an Esper the character receives various effects connected to that Esper's abilities. These include a change to their weapon proc, a change to the element of their attack, and even the potential to heal on hit with certain espers. If someone could extract the essence of such code and tie it to a command that toggles it on and off, it would suit Iris perfectly... way better than my spellblade stuff ever would have.

I haven't been able to navigate the specifics of Abyssonym's code personally, as it is written in Python and I'm more of a hex mangler. Still, I would be remiss if I didn't make a note of it here; the mechanic really is perfect for Iris.
  Find