Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need help with Kruptar (can't insert Battle Messages)

Threads: 2
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Hi! I'm working on the soon to be finished Swedish translation of Final Fantasy VI.
I inherited a Kruptar file (with neatly sorted tabs for everything) that a friend made a few years ago.
It had some problems, but I've managed to solve all but one:
For some reason I can't make any changes to Battle Messages.
Kruptar seems to load them just fine though.
I've tried everything I can think of and I'm completely stuck.

My question is:
Is there someone here that has some experience with Kruptar that would be willing to take a quick look just to see if I've missed something obvious?
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
Battle messages should be editted with the FF3usME.exe tool. What you need to do is open up the rom, go into the "Monster Editor" part, and then look to the right of the screens and change things in the "Small Captions" and "Big Captions" part. That's where all the text for the battle messages are placed. Hope this helps you.
  Find

Status
None
I recall the editor not working with a patched version of the game, but I'll have a look again if needed.

For now it seems like I have found a solution. Restoring the source text of battle messsages in Kruptar (in this case an older Swedish version) and then editing the old text seems to work. So far I haven't tried to increase the length of the sentences though. I've just replaced letters with blank spaces when the new sentence is shorter.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 24
Status
None
I think we're talking past eachother here at the moment. The Battle text is not found in the "Dialog Editor" part of things with FF3usME. It's found in the "Monster Editor" section. Why? Because that dialog pops up during battles, and fighting against monsters are part of battles in FF6. That's why the battle dialog is in the "Monster" section of things in FF3usME. And that shouldn't be effected (and thus made untouchable) if you just altered out of battle text dialog.
  Find

Status
None
Maybe so. Unfortunately FF3usME doesn't work with Windows 10 out of the box (needs some dll files I don't have time to bother with right now). If my solution proves to break anything I'll give it a try later though :-)
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
You just need to install Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables 2010 in order for FF3usME to work.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(07-28-2019, 05:01 AM)romraptor Wrote: Maybe so. Unfortunately FF3usME doesn't work with Windows 10 out of the box (needs some dll files I don't have time to bother with right now). If my solution proves to break anything I'll give it a try later though :-)

Pretty sure this concerns all Windows versions. here's your easy fix: Windows x64 Windows x86

Find

Status
None
Unfortunately my solution broke some things even though it seemed to work at first. Seems like the game calls for the wrong line in some instances e.g. when I learn a new magic spell it says I've learned a new blitz.

Also, I've managed to get FF3usME running. Unfortunately I think you're talking about battle dialogue (the large box at the bottom of the screen) and I'm talking about battle messages (the narrow box at the top of the screen). Can it be found somewhere else in FF3usME?
  Find

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 2
Status
Shell
(08-18-2019, 10:05 AM)romraptor Wrote: Also, I've managed to get FF3usME running. Unfortunately I think you're talking about battle dialogue (the large box at the bottom of the screen) and I'm talking about battle messages (the narrow box at the top of the screen). Can it be found somewhere else in FF3usME?

The text in FF3usME's monster editor->"Big Captions" are the ones in the large box at the bottom of the screen. The ones in monster editor->"Small Captions" are SOME OF the ones in the narrow box at the top, those used directly in monster scripts, (e.g., "Don't tease the octopus, kids!")

There is a SECOND set of text that ALSO appears in the narrow box at the top, called from spell effects, or the end of battles, etc. that I don't think are in FF3usME.
  Find

Thanks Received: 23
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(08-18-2019, 06:34 PM)Subtraction Wrote: There is a SECOND set of text that ALSO appears in the narrow box at the top, called from spell effects, or the end of battles, etc. that I don't think are in FF3usME.

I think the text you're referring to is called "Battle Messages" in the ROM map on the wiki. The "Small Captions" and "Big Captions" in FF3usME are called "Short Battle Dialog" and "Long Battle Dialog" on the wiki.

https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php...sm:rom_map

Long battle dialog is usually associated with battle events, while short battle dialog is usually associated with monster A.I. Like Subtraction mentioned, the battle messages are mainly for system messages and spell effects. The index for battle messages above 0x45 correspond with the index for the attack. For example, attack 0x9B "Dischord" corresponds with battle message 0x9B "Level is halved".
  Find