Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
I've returned from the dark mountain.

Updated: SilentEnigma's "Description Disruption" to version 1.2.

Also SilentEnigma pointed out that I misattributed "Unilateral Blockade" (a fix made by Novalia Spirit). I corrected that. Sorry for the mistake. And thanks, SilentEnigma. :3

I guess that's all for now. I've not been working on anything else. Just no motivation and too many disabilities. But I might have something small soon. We'll see.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (04-25-2021)

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
i finally looked at the dialogue changes.  re #1585 and #1586: nice; it's about time!

the dialogue from the old guy and the trooper in the western part of Albrook on FF3us always drove me nuts.  natural sounding with English sentence structure and all, but no clue what the hell they were referring to; thus, borderline incoherent in practice.  with the old guy, he seriously seemed to be continuing his dialogue from the last visit, as if he were relaying a punchline, or building a commerce-related cliffhanger.  (a commenter on the Tomato video theorized that Woolsey reading and translating dialogue blocks in their ROM order swayed this, which makes sense.)  i even wondered whether he was talking about local merchants honing their craft, obliquely continuing the westernmost townsperson's optimism about the economy.

over 1.5 decades ago, after awaiting clarity for years, i was thrilled to read the Sky Render translation of this, a definite improvement that dropped the "tightwads" nonsense and actually elaborated.

but it turns out my waiting was far from over, as that had its flaws as well!

so between yours and hairy_hen's scripts, i'm delighted to get more clarity yet.  that's over half of my life i wondered what those clowns were saying; talk about a slowly developing punchline! (a smarter and more industrious person would have just learned Japanese in that timespan, and had a few years to spare to pick up another language, or perhaps join a troupe of acrobats...  hey, i make up for all these insufficiencies with supernatural patience.)

and people wonder why this game is still being edited 2.5 decades after release.  as if everything after a certain year is all hair-splitting, "fresh takes", or hyper-academic pedantry.  no, man; it's about telling ol' Assassin what the people in Albrook are babbling about, so i can finally sleep soundly at night!  some hairs are apparently thick enough to have incoherency on one side and coherency on the other.

TLDR; i'm glad you addressed #1585 and #1586. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to assassin for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-01-2021), hairy_hen (03-27-2022)

Threads: 6
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(04-10-2021, 09:37 PM)assassin Wrote: i finally looked at the dialogue changes.  re #1585 and #1586: nice; it's about time!

the dialogue from the old guy and the trooper in the western part of Albrook on FF3us always drove me nuts.  natural sounding with English sentence structure and all, but no clue what the hell they were referring to; thus, borderline incoherent in practice.  with the old guy, he seriously seemed to be continuing his dialogue from the last visit, as if he were relaying a punchline, or building a commerce-related cliffhanger.  (a commenter on the Tomato video theorized that Woolsey reading and translating dialogue blocks in their ROM order swayed this, which makes sense.)  i even wondered whether he was talking about local merchants honing their craft, obliquely continuing the westernmost townsperson's optimism about the economy.

over 1.5 decades ago, after awaiting clarity for years, i was thrilled to read the Sky Render translation of this, a definite improvement that dropped the "tightwads" nonsense and actually elaborated.

but it turns out my waiting was far from over, as that had its flaws as well!

so between yours and hairy_hen's scripts, i'm delighted to get more clarity yet.  that's over half of my life i wondered what those clowns were saying; talk about a slowly developing punchline! (a smarter and more industrious person would have just learned Japanese in that timespan, and had a few years to spare to pick up another language, or perhaps join a troupe of acrobats...  hey, i make up for all these insufficiencies with supernatural patience.)

and people wonder why this game is still being edited 2.5 decades after release.  as if everything after a certain year is all hair-splitting, "fresh takes", or hyper-academic pedantry.  no, man; it's about telling ol' Assassin what the people in Albrook are babbling about, so i can finally sleep soundly at night!  some hairs are apparently thick enough to have incoherency on one side and coherency on the other.

TLDR; i'm glad you addressed #1585 and #1586. Tongue

I did something similar in TWUE for the same reason, but I wanted to keep a bit of Woolsey's wording of it.

Quote:[caption #1584]
We have to bribe the troopers to do business here_
*sob*_

[caption #1585]
[I've got nothing to sell to you Imperial TIGHTWADS!]_Sorry. I've always wanted to say that.

[caption #1586]
They're making us know what its like to walk in their shoes now. We have to bribe them to do business here_*sob*_

Experience is the benchmark to maturity.

Final Fantasy VI - Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1386

Final Fantasy IV - Namingway Edition:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337
  Find

Status
None
Update: Stuck in a Pose (by SilentEnigma) updated to 2.9 for that sweet compatibility. :3

Sorry for being so late on this. I haven't had time to work on this lately. I'm also well behind on some other projects I'm working on (maybe some FF1 and FF5 bug-fix comps, definitely a Secret of Mana script edit).

I feel like addressing something I don't think I ever did before. When I put together this bug-fix, I did it because... well, I wanted people to use it. I saw people saying they wished to have one, so I made it so. I wanted people to use it alone, or with my script edit, or with their own projects. I'm glad to see all this happening. Because of the task of keeping the files up to date and the time that takes, I prefer it to be hosted only on this site (FF6Hacking) currently. I'm sure everyone knows that by now. I aim it to stay that way, especially because frankly I hate romhacking.net. I know I've posted there a few times over the years, but I've always felt very unwelcome there. And honestly I think it displays the toxic side of gaming culture I hate most. So I limited my posts to attempts at helping some people, even though that has not always gone well for me. Lots of stuff doesn't go well for me, but that's life. But I've noticed some people crediting me with the bug-fix comp on their own hacks on that site. It's made me wonder if my "THIS SITE ONLY" message discouraged anyone else from using the bug-fix comp. Even a little. So I feel I should address that now. I want to say I'm TOTALLY okay with people using the bug-fix comp in their projects on other sites (including THAT one), whether they credit me or not. I maintain that I didn't do the real work. Our community's hackers and coders did the work over the years. I only put it together, which was the easiest part. Aside from the Blitz Tutorial fix (which I'm proud of), my own included patches were on/off switch in FF3usME stuff. Really though, I'm very happy people want to use the bug-fix comp and I'm flattered they thought to nicely credit me for it, the people I credited in my readme file did the real work. They're the smart ones. I'm just a boss of doing tedious stuff. ;P And I'd love to see them all credited for their patches. Thank you all. :3

Oh, and for the people discouraged from using the bug-fix comp in your project because of text edits, graphic edits, etcetera overwriting their own stuff: I'm going to try ONCE AGAIN at dividing the comp into parts. And yes, I did some work on it. Would it be a good idea to separate them by the sections of the ROM they write to? Currently my folder setup looks like this:

Battles
Events
Graphics
Map
Menu
Monster Formations
Monster Scripts
Script (the game's dialog)

But I worry it might be redundant or just too much.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • madsiur (06-01-2021), SilentEnigma (06-02-2021)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(06-01-2021, 01:09 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: Battles
Events
Graphics
Map
Menu
Monster Formations
Monster Scripts

That looks fine to me!
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to madsiur for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-11-2021)

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
It all makes sense. I’d be sure to get use out of something like that.
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Joshua H. for this post:

Threads: 23
Thanks Received: 20
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Enlight
(06-01-2021, 01:09 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: Really though, I'm very happy people want to use the bug-fix comp and I'm flattered they thought to nicely credit me for it, the people I credited in my readme file did the real work. They're the smart ones. I'm just a boss of doing tedious stuff. ;P And I'd love to see them all credited for their patches. Thank you all. :3

I remember when there were like 10 bug fixes out there in total. Piece of cake.
Now 20+ contributors, close to 200 patches -- REALLY overwhelming without a central gatekeeper to manage everything.
Thanks for taking the initiative when you did!

Plus, this project has been a great place for abandoned patches to receive additional TLC from us without that work ending up scattered and lost.

I appreciate the cumulative time & effort that you've put into it.

(06-01-2021, 01:09 AM)CVReynolds Wrote: Battles
Events
Graphics
Map
Menu
Monster Formations
Monster Scripts

I like this idea. As long as patch dependencies play nice.
I think only LeetSketcher's patches get layered on top of others, all within the "Battles" category. Should be good.

It is still nice to have an "all-in-one" patch, too -- both for convenience and as a crowning achievement of sorts for the community ;p
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SilentEnigma for this post:

Status
None
Still working on this. It might be a while, because I'm juggling a lot of (well, too many anyway) projects both personal and public now. Plus hospital visits, plus social obligations, plus research, plus writing, plus trying to find some personal time to quiet my stress and anxiety so they don't kill me. But this is the most I've advanced the splitting project... ever. I'd even say it's going well.

I'm making some goofy guesses on where to put the patches in the split now, but that's what editing and testing afterward is for. I added "Actor Data" as one of the split patches. That encompasses patches like Celes' Rushing and Setzer's Bandana. I might add an Item Data one as well. I'll see where it all goes.

On the subject of patch layering, though... The ordering of patches is more important than you'd guess. By my quick count, 34 of the patches in the comp must be applied in a specific order versus at least one other patch. And they aren't all Leet's and aren't all battle patches. There's one case where one patch depends on another patch... which depends on yet another, for a three-tier stack. I have a system that keeps me from patching anything in the wrong order though, so no worries about me making a mistake. :3

Would it be good to include all of the readme files I could? I could try to do that if the patch makers would like.

Also, I'm thinking of removing the patch that enables Allo Ver, Siegfried, and Chupon on the Veldt and replacing it with the one by Assassin that only enables Allo Ver. It messes with less data and I feel that perhaps it ISN'T a bug that Siegfried and Chupon don't appear on the Veldt? Opinions? If I do this, I'll create an extra optional patch to put Siegfried and Chupon on the Veldt. If I keep it in, I'll split it from the Allo Ver patch for better customizing of choice (Terii Senshi's Siegfried and Chupon one edits monster formations and my addendum does a little too).

Always looking for feedback. Thank you all for believing in this project's continued growth and for all your understanding.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to CVReynolds for this post:
  • SilentEnigma (08-24-2021)

Threads: 0
Thanks Received: 0
Status
None
I wanted to let you know that the latest version of the .zip unheadered patch is 1.23, but the 7zip version is 1.24
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Felipe for this post:
  • CVReynolds (06-15-2021)

Status
None
Thank you, Felipe. I fixed it now. :3

What happened was that I accidentally submitted 7zip files before. I like 7zip best. But I use zip for my public submissions because zip is compatible with most people's computers, while 7zip requires a separate install.