Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Day / Night Cycle [beta release]

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
Well I made an optional thing to the day / night cycle:

.zip  nightpacks.zip (6.84 KB, 10 downloads)

This is an addition to the day / night cycle. This hack allow new formations, packs and random battle probability data when the game has the "night flag" enabled. This is valid everywhere, but since the data are copy sets of the original data it is easy not not modify certain things to "disable" the night formations or packs in certasin areas.

This hack simply check for the "night event bit" and load the correct sets of data. There is also a small utility called swapper.exe that can initialize the duplicate set and swap the two sets anytime to allow full edit with FF3usME.

There is no patch for this hack, mainly because this data is different from hack to hack and one might want to move the expansion elsewhere in the ROM. You need to assemble the ASM file with xkas 0.06.

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Thanks to @seibaby for some testing, the hack is now at version beta 2 (download link updated)!

I fixed a bug where the timer would stop on a non-tintable map (but not frozen). The hack also now consider the map tintability and cycle disabling (by event) for the battle background tint, meaning a battle background that should normally tint will not if the map triggering the battle does not tint or has the cycle disabled. I also moved most of the new code to free space $D4F650, freeing up the $C0D613 and $EEAF01 blocks previously used. Those can be used by other hacks so this is a better thing for compatibility. This approach also free up 3 blocks of now unused code in bank $EE due to a function optimization regarding palettes.

I played through the intro testing again map freeze, tintability and the event command. I also retested chocobo and airship mode as well as the WoB map. More testing would be welcome if someone is interested!
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
A little teaser, I've added a 9th element; a moon / night element. Right now it is behaving and working like the 8 others but I'll polish this to make it effective at night only. I still need to add two FC enemy commands regarding elements for the new element but the base is done, but not tested thoroughly yet.

[Image: DrKm0FMXgAAEUpx.jpg]
  Find

Status
Tissue-aware
Another small tweak to my day / night cycle. In normal game a day would be at least 2 minutes so you could listen to the songs fully. There is one byte per map for a night song, $00 means the normal song plays at night. I have only done regular maps and world maps so far but I could add to the excel sheet airship and chocobo modes. I still need to tweak the fading a bit with the timer but the proof of concept is done!

Find

Threads: 1
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Catnip
This is definitely interesting, kind of wonder if it can be combined with C V's patch packs.

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-03-2019, 12:00 PM)J92R Wrote: This is definitely interesting, kind of wonder if it can be combined with C V's patch packs.

I presume not, but it would be easy to modify the ASM file and move some code around to make it compatible.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
I'm currently doing a full playthrough of my hack so I decided to implement this patch for extended testing. For some reasons the night/day cycle only work on WoR map but not WoB, I tried on both vanilla (1.0 and 1.1) and my hack but results are the same. I did headerize the patch to make it work on my ROMs but I don't think this could cause issues .

Next is a small issue, it conflicts with the "OVERKILL 32,000" patch at 0xD630 to 0xD63A so I'll have to figure how to relocate that part (this shouldn't be a problem).

Find

Status
Tissue-aware
(01-03-2019, 02:53 PM)Warrax Wrote: For some reasons the night/day cycle only work on WoR map but not WoB, I tried on both vanilla (1.0 and 1.1) and my hack but results are the same.

FYI, the patch is for the 1.0 ROM, I have not tested it on 1.1 but it could work too, I'm not sure. Also, have you started a playthrough from the beginning? All my tests were in the WoB and regular maps, but I've used some initial settings in code though that are disabled in the regular patch. Seibaby tested this also in a playthrough and had not the problem you mention. Just loading a regular save in WoB, WoR or on a regular map with the patch applied could result in the cycle not working because some things are done at beginning of the game.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
That's probably it, I used savestates and regular save to test the patch. I will test again with a new game.

Edit: The cycle happens during the intro, is that intended?
It seems to work so far, the cycle is happening in Narshe WoB, I'm still not outside yet, will update later when I get out of Narshe.

Edit2: Castle and Kefka Tower sprites doesn't blend well with certain night colors/textures/sprites:
https://imgur.com/a/o6Svczf

Doma Castle still look fine tho, probably because it's surrounded by rock which blend well already.

Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
You'll need to manually set and clear the event bit to enable and disable the cycle, during events and the intro and what have you, it doesn't do all that for ya. Take a look at the readme for more info regarding this.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.