Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Some final code requests (and screenshots)

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
(08-02-2018, 05:18 PM)Lightning Wrote: That appears to do exactly what I want, thanks!  The patch does have a bug with the animation of the fixed dice (as mentioned in the readme file), but I have already disabled the offering with Setzer anyway - so all is good.

Ok, so I need just a few more things fixed, and I think this mod is ready for beta testing.  In particular, some of the throw/jump animations are now messed up since some of the weapon slots were changed.  For example, a new sword I created now looks like a boomerang when used with the "throw command".  Here is a full list of objects that need fixing (possible spoilers ahead):

Weapons with bugged "Throw" AND "Jump" animations:
ID67 Dark Eternal (should look like large sword with throw and jump, same as Ragnorok)
ID76 Defender (should look like large sword with throw and jump, same as Ragnorok)
ID65 Excalipoor (should look like small sword with throw and jump, same as Iron Sword, etc.)
ID37 Pack of lies (should look like cards when thrown, no animation with jump)

ONLY jump bugs (throw can't be used with these):
ID39 Stardust Rod (should look like a rod, similar to Mythril Rod as an example)
ID38 PicturePrfect (should be holding no weapon at all)
ID42 Gold Fist (should be holding no weapon at all)
ID56 Knuckles (should be holding no weapon at all)
ID72 Rising Sun (Should have the same look as Sniper and Hawk Eye)

-Finally, the well known bug with the Fire Skean, Water Edge, and Bolt Edge and Rage is really noticeable in my mod.  This is because Gau now has multiple rages that use these moves, and with all of them, Gau will continually step forward without stepping backward.  This bug is present in the original FF3, but only with the Ninja and the Water Edge.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Use a headered FF3 v1.1 with the following CRC32:
C0FA0464

After patching, this should be the CRC32:
AE12108A

Bump'd for post merging not showing up as new post thus resulting in latest call for assistance not being received.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Status
Nattak\'d
I found this actually in my notes:

D1/0040
Jump/Throw weapon animation table:
00 = Nothing
10 = Sword
21 = knife
32 = Big Sword
43 = Katana
54 = Rod
65 = Spear
0D = Frizbar
0E = Boomerang

There's a table there at D1/0040 for all the weapons, you'll just need to change the values to what they are now.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Warrax (08-05-2018)

Threads: 20
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(08-05-2018, 05:51 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: I found this actually in my notes:

D1/0040
Jump/Throw weapon animation table:
00 = Nothing
10 = Sword
21 = knife
32 = Big Sword
43 = Katana
54 = Rod
65 = Spear
0D = Frizbar
0E = Boomerang

There's a table there at D1/0040 for all the weapons, you'll just need to change the values to what they are now.

Excuse my extreme ignorance, but I still don't understand what "D1/0040" means.  What table is everyone referring to in these threads?  I tried looking up tutorials, but could not really find any real explanations.  I saw a few download links to various tables, but I don't have a clue how to use them.  In the hex editor I have used (CrystalTile2), there are addresses such as "0021A380" on the left bar, but nothing that resembles the tables you guys are referring to. I guess everyone here already knows this stuff, but all my editing has been through FF3USME and FF3SE!
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Ah OK, yeah it's just your standard hex editing knowledge. D1 is a bank, there are banks C0-F0 in an unexpanded ROM, D1/0040 would be offset 110040, with no header. The table for the weapon values is there at offset 110040, you'll see the values that are posted above there for the weapons, which are in the same order as they appear in FF3usME. Table just meaning a block of values dedicated for the weapon's throw/jump animations, not an outside table that's needed to view this data or anything like that.

With most hex editors you can make the standard/linear addresses such as "0021A380" as 00E1A380, as per your example there, the '21' = bank E1, with an option to 'dispay offset as snes hi-rom'. I've never heard of CrystalTile, most people here use HxD or Windhex, but that one might have all ya need. But yeah if the first '2' there was a 0, it would mean C bank, if it was a 1, it would be in the D bank, and if it was 3 it would be F, etc.

So yeah, to sum it up, open your ROM, which probably has the header applied, which you can remove easily, or just factor in +200 to the address of 110040 (which in snes hi-rom is D10040) and go to that address and you'll see the weapon values there to edit. If you're ROM is headered it becomes 110240. You should see a 00 (empty hand), followed by a bunch of 21s, which are the knives, and then all the rest.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gi Nattak for this post:
  • Lightning (08-06-2018)

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(08-05-2018, 02:31 PM)Lightning Wrote: In the hex editor I have used (CrystalTile2), there are addresses such as "0021A380" on the left bar, but nothing that resembles the tables you guys are referring to. I guess everyone here already knows this stuff, but all my editing has been through FF3USME and FF3SE!

It seems you have not looked at the hacking FAQ: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=hacking_faq
  Find

Status
None
(08-05-2018, 03:05 PM)Gi Nattak Wrote: 'dispay offset as snes hi-rom'. I've never heard of CrystalTile, most people here use HxD or Windhex

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I couldn't figure out how you guys were getting these addresses until I downloaded Windhex and saw the "display offset as SNES hi-rom".  I was always confused why there was a discrepancy there.  Removing the header is obviously a piece of cake and I've already added/removed it hundreds of times for various programs.  Thanks!

(08-05-2018, 06:28 PM)madsiur Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 02:31 PM)Lightning Wrote: In the hex editor I have used (CrystalTile2), there are addresses such as "0021A380" on the left bar, but nothing that resembles the tables you guys are referring to. I guess everyone here already knows this stuff, but all my editing has been through FF3USME and FF3SE!

I seems you have not looked at the hacking FAQ: https://www.ff6hacking.com/wiki/doku.php?id=hacking_faq

Actually, I did look through the FAQ, but honestly I don't have hours to spend combing through the hex editing section. I really don't have any interest in learning hex editing, although I am picking up some stuff here and there just attempting to fix bugs in my mod.  But anyway, I figured out what I needed to know with Gi Nattak's tip to use Windhex and switch to "display offset as SNES hi-rom".  In fact, I have already fixed almost all the throw/jump weapon animations with this new information.  The rest of that stuff on the FAQ I already know.

Now I just need to find out if anyone knows how to solve the Rage/Ninja bug (also present in the original FF3). This is the bug in which Gau continually takes steps forward while using a water edge with the Ninja rage (eventually walking across the whole battle field). Has anyone ever fixed this bug?
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
(08-05-2018, 08:17 PM)Lightning Wrote: Now I just need to find out if anyone knows how to solve the Rage/Ninja bug (also present in the original FF3).  This is the bug in which Gau continually takes steps forward while using a water edge with the Ninja rage (eventually walking across the whole battle field).  Has anyone ever fixed this bug?

Actually your info is a little off, this is not a bug with the original game because they didn't give Ninja's Rage set any besides Water Edge and Water Edge is fine, there is no extra step. I see it is however an issue with General Leo Edition because Ninja has access to Fire Scroll and Bolt Scroll, which has this extra step issue. So while it might be considered a bug, it's a hidden one in vanilla and not intended to be used by Rage.

That extra step is needed for the actual Throw animation (besides Water Scroll I guess) because it normally has the character taking an extra step back afterwords to correct the step forward, but for Rage it is different. If you were to edit the actual animation script of these other scrolls to not do the extra step, that'd work, but then it'd mess up Shadow's Throw version of them where he'd be a step back each time... So some custom code of some kind would need to be made to check for which character is using it, and then somehow alter the animation script, or something.

If it were me I'd just put the Ninja back to using Water Scroll and not worry about it, as fixing the bug just for one Rage is not worth the trouble imo.

Status
None
(08-06-2018, 12:38 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 08:17 PM)Lightning Wrote: Now I just need to find out if anyone knows how to solve the Rage/Ninja bug (also present in the original FF3).  This is the bug in which Gau continually takes steps forward while using a water edge with the Ninja rage (eventually walking across the whole battle field).  Has anyone ever fixed this bug?

Actually your info is a little off, this is not a bug with the original game because they didn't give Ninja's Rage set any besides Water Edge and Water Edge is fine, there is no extra step. I see it is however an issue with General Leo Edition because Ninja has access to Fire Scroll and Bolt Scroll, which has this extra step issue. So while it might be considered a bug, it's a hidden one in vanilla and not intended to be used by Rage.

That extra step is needed for the actual Throw animation (besides Water Scroll I guess) because it normally has the character taking an extra step back afterwords to correct the step forward, but for Rage it is different. If you were to edit the actual animation script of these other scrolls to not do the extra step, that'd work, but then it'd mess up Shadow's Throw version of them where he'd be a step back each time... So some custom code of some kind would need to be made to check for which character is using it, and then somehow alter the animation script, or something.

If it were me I'd just put the Ninja back to using Water Scroll and not worry about it, as fixing the bug just for one Rage is not worth the trouble imo.

Are you sure it isn't a bug with the original?  I have seen the bug listed in several guides, including the Final fantasy wiki, and I am pretty sure I have seen it with Gau on my real SNES over the years.  Maybe it only happens with certain versions of the game?

Anyway, since Shadow is no longer a playable character in the General Leo edition, the Skeans have been replaced with other weapons/items (This was how Fedorajoe had the original Leo edition).  Setzer and Gogo now have the throw command, but it only exists for throwing knives, swords, and other equipable weapons. It is really only a command someone will use when they don't mind depleting their inventory to get out of a scrape (or someone who wants to buy a lot of swords/knives).

If it is still too difficult to modify the throw animation, then I will simply remove all rages that use Blitz/Flame/Flood.  In my mod, that includes Ninja, Covert, Outsider, and I think one other monster.
  Find

Status
Nattak\'d
Huh, yeah I'm not too sure, I see there on the wiki it says "may or may not return to their original positions after use", which is a little on the uninformative side lol. I'm so far just going with my own testing here, Water Skeen every time with Gau/Rage has been okay, even if he was confused, which sometimes causes the step forward or back issue for some skills like Health and I think some Tools, maybe more things.
I definitely see it happening every time for the other 2 Skeens, but again no monster uses them normally, at least for Rage.

Perhaps it does need some kind of special condition I've yet to try. Are you been able to trigger it there with just Water Skeen?

Status
None
(08-06-2018, 02:38 AM)Gi Nattak Wrote: Huh, yeah I'm not too sure, I see there on the wiki it says "may or may not return to their original positions after use", which is a little on the uninformative side lol. I'm so far just going with my own testing here, Water Scroll every time with Gau/Rage has been okay, even if he was confused, which sometimes causes the step forward or back issue for some skills like Health and I think some Tools, maybe more things.
I definitely see it happening every time for the other 2 Skeens, but again no monster uses them normally, at least for Rage.

Perhaps it does need some sort of condition. Are you been able to trigger it there with just Water Skeen?

It's a very confusing bug indeed.  I have not been able to trigger the bug with the Water Edge either, at least not in an emulator. As you said, the Bolt Edge and Fire Skean seem to have the issue every time.  I feel like there is a really simple fix somewhere that we are overlooking, given the fact that the Water edge does not cause issues but the other two do. I guess I don't care about the bug with the Water Edge if it only happens with certain circumstances.  Also as I said, nobody has to worry about messing up the throw command in my mod, since they can't be thrown anymore (although the moves are used by monsters on a regular basis, so that has to work well).
  Find