Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Cyan's Uneventful Dream

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
This is a patch I have been promising for a long time. Just like my "Everybody Gets a Chocobo" patch, this patch is NECESSARY for anyone who wants to add permanent characters into slots $0E and $0F. I am completing it and posting it as a stepping stone to completing the Full Roster hack.

Here's the description of what "Cyan's Uneventful Dream" is from the readme file:

Quote:Anybody who has tried to hack Final Fantasy VI knows that the main issue you run into is SPACE. The rom is packed full, and without re-arranging data or expanding your rom, there's not a lot you can add. This is especially true for event editing, where the rom gives you 18 whole bytes of space to work with... not even enough to have your party members split apart and fan out!

Perhaps no part of the game presents as much of a challenge as Cyan's Dream Sequence in the World of Ruin though. At the beginning of the sequence, your party is split up and you have to rescue your 2 teammates from the Dream Stooges before you can move on. The event to do this eats up 1.5 kilobytes of event space, 32 event bits, and 26 NPC slots. Worse, the map that the NPCs are placed on is maxed out. It cannot hold a single NPC beyond what it has. Expansion is impossible.

Enter this patch. It accomplishes a lot through very simple means. It simply REMOVES the party splitting sequence. When you enter Cyan's Dream, you have all 3 party members from the start. Instead of rescuing them, you rescue pieces of Cyan's psyche. By removing that sequence, you gain 1599 bytes of space for event data and space for 23 additional NPCs (with unique Event Bits to control them)... all without expanding your rom. (Technically, you also gain space for one more event trigger, but that's hardly a selling point.)

Attached Files
.zip  cyansdream.zip (6.02 KB, 28 downloads)

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • GrayShadows (07-25-2018), madsiur (07-26-2018), Robo Jesus (05-20-2019), Tenkarider (07-26-2018), Warrax (07-25-2018)

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
so the patch is already finished and tested? dat 1599 bytes of space for event...

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
None
Yes. I haven't played a full 30-hour game, but I have played through the affected portion of the game in every possible order. I've also done a search on the event address for the part that splits your party, and have confirmed it is never reused (easy to confirm, since it doesn't account for Cyan being in your party).

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
This is a great patch and additional NPC bits are welcomed!

Since it's about the same subject, any free space above bank $CA can be used for event, you only need to use the B2 commands. This is good for bank $CD to bank $FF. This cannot work in ExHiROM iirc.
  Find

Status
None
(07-26-2018, 01:00 PM)madsiur Wrote: Since it's about the same subject, any free space above bank $CA can be used for event, you only need to use the B2 commands. This is good for bank $CD to bank $FF. This cannot work in ExHiROM iirc.

This is true. For me, I use ZoneEaterCE as an event reader/interpreter (just never, EVER click the save button!), and it only reads events from the standard block. So it helps to have space within the CA-CC banks.

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 234
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(07-26-2018, 02:06 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: For me, I use ZoneEaterCE as an event reader/interpreter (just never, EVER click the save button!), and it only reads events from the standard block. So it helps to have space within the CA-CC banks.

This is true also for NPC and event trigger events settings. FF6LE and Zone Doctor will only accept values in the 00000-2FFFF range unless you modify the source code.
  Find

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
One more question, can you change what character triggers the dream sequence and where you trigger it? At default it is Cyan in your party sleeping at Doma Castle, but is it possible to make the side-quest involve another character?
  Find

Status
None
(07-28-2018, 08:37 PM)CrumpledMedal Wrote: One more question, can you change what character triggers the dream sequence and where you trigger it? At default it is Cyan in your party sleeping at Doma Castle, but is it possible to make the side-quest involve another character?

Yes, but that is just standard event hacking. It's not really related to this patch. You would just need to change the opening scene and ending scene. These are the only ones that specifically call character $02. All the rest are NPCs that are easily editable in FF6LE. I'll just warn you that as far as event editing goes though, this is intermediate level.

In my Definitive Edition hack that I'm working on, this is Cyan's WoR recruitment scenario. I set an event bit during the WoR setup scene that makes Cyan show up sleeping in his own bedroom (the "Inn" in Doma Castle is just an inn). When you talk to him, you kick off the scenario. I changed the order of events, and made it so that the scenario accounted for 4 characters. In total, it took me about as much time as Sabin's scenario in the "Divergent Paths" hack.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • CrumpledMedal (07-28-2018), Robo Jesus (05-20-2019)

Threads: 39
Thanks Received: 6
Thanks Given: 6
Status
Runic
(07-28-2018, 09:19 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 08:37 PM)CrumpledMedal Wrote: One more question, can you change what character triggers the dream sequence and where you trigger it? At default it is Cyan in your party sleeping at Doma Castle, but is it possible to make the side-quest involve another character?

Yes, but that is just standard event hacking. It's not really related to this patch. You would just need to change the opening scene and ending scene. These are the only ones that specifically call character $02. All the rest are NPCs that are easily editable in FF6LE. I'll just warn you that as far as event editing goes though, this is intermediate level.

In my Definitive Edition hack that I'm working on, this is Cyan's WoR recruitment scenario. I set an event bit during the WoR setup scene that makes Cyan show up sleeping in his own bedroom (the "Inn" in Doma Castle is just an inn). When you talk to him, you kick off the scenario. I changed the order of events, and made it so that the scenario accounted for 4 characters. In total, it took me about as much time as Sabin's scenario in the "Divergent Paths" hack.

Mr. Panda, 
What version of FF6LE do you use to do this sidequest change?
  Find

Status
None
(07-28-2018, 10:31 PM)CrumpledMedal Wrote:
(07-28-2018, 09:19 PM)PowerPanda Wrote:

Mr. Panda, 
What version of FF6LE do you use to do this sidequest change?

I only use FF6LE to do the NPC changes. Note that Madsiur's minimap patch is required for using FF6LE. Otherwise the World of Ruin minimap will become corrupted upon save.

For the Event Editing, I load the rom into ZoneDoctorCE, mockup the scene as I would like it to happen through the event editor, and then hand-enter the hex through Cygnus. Note that clicking the save button in any version of ZoneDoctor will irreparably corrupt your rom, so NEVER SAVE.

It took me probably 4 months to figure out all the caveats for event editing. I had a very low week after my first release of Divergent Paths where I realized that the game was un-completable due to the corruption from FF6LE/ZoneDoctorCE, but I was able to re-create my changes by selectively copying blocks in the event editor, and save the project.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • CrumpledMedal (07-29-2018)