Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Balanced stat tips

Threads: 22
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Auto-life
So when using the multi editor, what are some good tips when balancing out character stats, spells, equipment etc.?  I have made minor hacks where I had extremely broken summons, but I figured that the summons should at least be stronger than the spells because of their one time use and high generally high cost.  Bahamut's only advantage over Ultima, for example is that it can be easier to obtain, and cannot be negated by runic.  

elemental bias is another situation I never understood why this was the case where thunder is the most expensive while the weakest of the generic spell trio.  cyan's bushido is another example of an awful skill because of its charge time taking too long where using "dispatch" is probably your best choice (glitches aside) while oblivion is too situational and instant death rarely being effective.
  Find

Threads: 98
Thanks Received: 147
Thanks Given: 156
Status
Nattak\'d
Depends really on if you're planning on keeping the existing damage formulas, as they are considered to be broken, especially in terms of magic being considerably favorable over physical attacks, especially the magic stat compared to vigor, or any of the others really. There's some patches that attempt to address many of these imbalances and brokenness of the stats, but it's not that easy to do when considering all the stat-raising items, and esper bonuses etc. Many thing need to be taken into consideration when working out the overall balance. Also depends if you're going for a hardcore class approach. In general, though, lowering characters magic stat is a good first step as it can get pumped up to a ridiculous amount thus ushering in 9999 damage very easily, for all characters. I'd maybe recommend at first to lower all the character stats, but then make it obviously raised more for their intended class stat, which FF6 already does basically, but just do it more...unless it's magic.

I guess if you feel like something is OP, then simply nerf it lol. I also agree it's nonsensical really for Bolt to cost more than Ice, which costs more (just 1 MP, but still) than Fire... I'm not too sure the reasoning behind that other than maybe Bolt is more useful and powerful for the many robotic monsters this game has, but using that theory I'd say Fire should then cost more than Ice... Again though, if you're not a fan of that it can be changed in under 5 minutes.

I'd look into using one of the speed up Bushido patches that exist, it will make Cyan obviously that much more useful. The overall speed of the bar can be edited to your liking as well.

We are born, live, die and then do the same thing over again.

Threads: 5
Thanks Received: 1
Thanks Given: 2
Status
Medicated
If you have a mentality of comparing your new skill to an old skill and referring it to as "strong than ___" or "weaker than ____", you can just see what it's power is and go from there.

Or you can do it the "Odbarc" way which is to make one change and then test it, tweak, test, repeat. Very, very long way.

Status
Auto-life
One thing I am keeping the atb meter. Unless it was a bug or an oversight, I don't like the mechanic where the meter stops during every attack. as for bushido, I made them stronger by having each level have a higher attack power. now if there was way that oblivion has a chance of dealing heavy damage plus instant death as an option, but check for unblockable damage and then instant death, that would be better.

Bahamut should be stronger than vligarmanda and jormungandr. also, I give raiden thundaga at a rate of 3 and have him increase speed by 2 because the snes version has no espers that can do that. crusader raises HP by 100% and alexander is MP by 50. also because ultimate is the ultimate spell, I make it immune to runic and ignore split damage but raise the MP. crusader deals heavy damage and ignores defense but only against the enemy. blaster is nerfed where it is single target.

also I add czar dragon and change colossus to diamond weapon where he has the ultima weapon sprite. the ribbon blocks instant death and mighty guard gives the image status and float but costs more. sometimes I make attacks more broken while checking to see what works better for a more fair and balanced battle system. brachioraidos becomes stronger and rasp is buffed.
  Find

Threads: 3
Thanks Given: 8
Status
None
(05-31-2018, 11:51 PM)CzarMalboro Wrote: now if there was way that oblivion has a chance of dealing heavy damage plus instant death as an option, but check for unblockable damage and then instant death, that would be better.  

This has been on my list for years. From what I understand, the instant death function of Cleave/Oblivion is linked to the animation so there is no way to make Cleave/Oblivion animation do damage unless you change it to another animation. Raiden and Odin seems to function the same.

Find

Status
Auto-life
(06-01-2018, 07:17 PM)Warrax Wrote:
(05-31-2018, 11:51 PM)CzarMalboro Wrote: now if there was way that oblivion has a chance of dealing heavy damage plus instant death as an option, but check for unblockable damage and then instant death, that would be better.  

This has been on my list for years. From what I understand, the instant death function of Cleave/Oblivion is linked to the animation so there is no way to make Cleave/Oblivion animation do damage unless you change it to another animation. Raiden and Odin seems to function the same.

I suspect an asm is required where you can deal guaranteed damage with a chance of instant death.  I was thinking of something like hand of fate or eterum from skies of arcadia.  oblivion could have a piercing attack of 200+ damage because of its lengthy start up time.  

as for espers, I would add more spells to learned at higher rates. there is no reason why Ifrit should be the only esper to teach drain at an abysmal rate of 1.  I have Zonaseeker teach at a rate of 10.  Raiden has thundaga at a rate of 3 and Blizzaga I usually give to Crusader because I could not find another candidate that would make sense to have it.  Jomungandr also teaches Gravity at a much higher rate and Tornado no longer affects the party.  

in the GBA version, I make sure Bahamut is stronger than Leviathan. Only Alexander and Crusader should have a higher spell power than him.  of course to balance this out, the MP cost would be higher.   

as for equipment, I give the paladin shield 70 defense and magic defense.  the miracle shoes give the ability to dash and the sprint shoes have a speed boost.  the snow scarf is changed to the adamant armor which can be equipped by anyone.  I also balance the base stats of each character.  zombie will be easier to reverse as well.

(06-01-2018, 07:17 PM)Warrax Wrote:

I suspect an asm is required where you can deal guaranteed damage with a chance of instant death.  I was thinking of something like hand of fate or eterum from skies of arcadia.  oblivion could have a piercing attack of 200+ damage because of its lengthy start up time.  

as for espers, I would add more spells to learned at higher rates. there is no reason why Ifrit should be the only esper to teach drain at an abysmal rate of 1.  I have Zonaseeker teach at a rate of 10.  Raiden has thundaga at a rate of 3 and Blizzaga I usually give to Crusader because I could not find another candidate that would make sense to have it.  Jomungandr also teaches Gravity at a much higher rate and Tornado no longer affects the party.  

in the GBA version, I make sure Bahamut is stronger than Leviathan. Only Alexander and Crusader should have a higher spell power than him.  of course to balance this out, the MP cost would be higher.   

as for equipment, I give the paladin shield 70 defense and magic defense.  the miracle shoes give the ability to dash and the sprint shoes have a speed boost.  the snow scarf is changed to the adamant armor which can be equipped by anyone.  I also balance the base stats of each character.  zombie will be easier to reverse as well.
  Find