Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
FFVI: Divergent Paths

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
Note that the final version of this rom will have patches for headered, headerless, etc. Right now, any attempt to patch to 1.1 will cause the entire battle system to crash, as the difference between 1.0 and 1.1 is in the C2 bank.

I have been hard at work fixing a few things that C-Dude and CasualTom have found in the game. This includes:
*Optimizing Gau after he gets Fight
*Removing the starting Blizzard Orb from Umaro
*Exiting and re-entering the Ancient Castle will re-create the Blue Dragon. This allows you to drop the dragon counter to 0 without fighting the others. I've fixed the offending event that keeps re-setting the event bit.

That last one is a big enough bug that I MAY put out a v0.82 patch. It will not be my intent to release another update until v0.9, which will have the Ancient Castle finished and hopefully have the 16th character playable.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
(02-04-2021, 05:29 AM)madsiur Wrote: Here are the valid MD5 checksums for "Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.0) [!].smc":

Code:
headerless: e986575b98300f721ce27c180264d890
headered:   7161afb7730f462cb713f8380ca6e4ab (with 512 "00" added as header)

You can check the MD5 of your ROM here, if your headerless ROM doesn't match the headerless MD5 checksum, you have a bad ROM or a v1.1, if it's the same you have a problem with patching or adding the header:

https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/md5_checksum.html

Thanks, figured the correct ROM out. The patch seems to work fine when I autopatch it in SNES9X, doesn;t seem to work in Lunar or SNESRomUtil.
  Find

Status
None
I was able to make major progress yesterday, building out the rest of the Ancient Castle scenes. It was so much fun to be able to just write an event from scratch without worrying about where to fit it in the code (thanks to the patch "Cyan's Uneventful Dream"). All of the rest of my editing has been trying to fit things in wherever I can. I need to go back and polish the new scene, and then I'll write the scene giving you the Illumina. After that, it's just a question of if I can get the 16th character added in prior to releasing a v0.9, or if that character will need to wait until a later release.

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (02-19-2021)

Status
None
Version 0.83 is released! Please download from the first post.

Major changes
* The Ancient Castle sequence is fully completed.
* It is now possible to obtain the Illumina from Banon's grave when somoene in your party has the Paladin Shield equipped.

Bugfixes
*Gau is optimized after he gets Fight
*Removed the starting Blizzard Orb from Umaro
*Exiting and re-entering the Ancient Castle no longer resets the Blue Dragon and the Diary

EDIT: There is a disclaimer in the text file that I should probably call out here. When you get the Illumina from Banon's grave, the Sword will re-appear on top of the grave if you exit Thamasa and re-enter. This is not a bug, but a way to ensure compatibility with v0.8 and v0.81 save files. When Beta Version 0.9 is released, I will include an event, accessible on the Falcon, that sets some additional memory bits to correct your save file. However, I want to wait until all of the new NPCs are in place before I make those corrections.

Version 0.83 will be the last of the small updates. I hadn't intended to do the Ancient Castle sequence before v0.9, but since I was working on it alongside the bugfixes, it just worked out that way. Here is a roadmap of releases from here on out:

BETA VERSION 0.9
* Story finished through the ending cutscenes.
* Recruitable NPCs on the Falcon (minus Duncan)
* The 16th character, fully playable.

Initial 1.0 release
* Additional functionality on weapons and equipment (ie - throwing stars will do piercing damage, brush will be required for Sketch, all spears double damange on jump, and some weapons will not be compatible with the Bracers)
* Duncan on the NPC, letting players switch out their commands without having a relic equipped. (this will be cut if I run out of unused dialogs or event space)
* Leviathan's animation and attack description
* Safe 2 and Shell 2 will have better animations
* POSSIBLY New dialog font and a port of the script from ROSE or TWUE Editions
* POSSIBLY the insertion of William Kage's theme for Leo, "Shock and Awe" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpyE_WFz18M). This would be inserted into 2 places in the game: the scene landing on the shores of Thamasa, and when you recruit Leo in the World of Ruin. Note, I would love to have help on this from someone who loves to do music hacking.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • madsiur (02-22-2021), ranatalus (02-22-2021), SSJ Rick (02-22-2021)

Status
None
Awesome! Do you have any ballpark idea on when you think v9.0 or v1.0 will be ready? I know with your day job it's hard to estimate so I understand if the short answer is "no"

Also any chance that future releases could include headered and unheadered patch files?
  Find

Status
None
(02-22-2021, 06:32 PM)ranatalus Wrote: Awesome! Do you have any ballpark idea on when you think v9.0 or v1.0 will be ready? I know with your day job it's hard to estimate so I understand if the short answer is "no"

Also any chance that future releases could include headered and unheadered patch files?

No ballpark. i always tend to underestimate how long it will take to do things.

Yes, I will do headered and unheadered in the future, when I'm releasing in more places than a site dedicated to hackers. The first release that is planned for header/no-header is 1.0.

Projects:
  Find
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • ranatalus (02-22-2021)

Status
None
I am at the point in Divergent Paths that I need to start working on the endings. This means I need to code endings for if you DON'T recruit the new characters in the World of Ruin. For all other characters, it shows their portrait over their hometown. For Leo, this creates a bit of a problem, as his hometown, Vector, doesn't exist in the World of Ruin. I'm wondering how I should handle it. Should I do Vector anyway? Zozo, where you recruit him in the WoR? Albrook, where you meet up with him in the WoB? Mobliz, since his storyline is tied with the wounded soldier? I'm a bit lost as to how to handle it.

The 16th character will share an ending with Umaro, and you will have to recruit both characters to see it. If you DON'T recruit them, should I keep it the same, with Umaro's face over Narshe, or change it to the 16th character?

Projects:
  Find

Threads: 34
Thanks Received: 10
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Moog
Leo doesn't share an ending with Terra?

You're wading into some tricky waters here, because you've got optional characters sharing endings with other optional characters. This does not happen in Vanilla; while Relm's ending changes significantly if Strago is recruited, both Relm and Strago have their own individual endings.

The other two shared endings are with Celes and Locke (where Celes is a mandatory character) and Edgar and Sabin (where Edgar is a mandatory character).

Since there's no precedent, you're really free to do whatever you please. The event code has a special whatever to show the portrait, or you could cut the portraits part out completely and just have a panning screen (that's what I did in my hack, since the color portraits break the feeling of the sepia color during those scenes).

As for 'showing hometowns', the missing character ending actually shows you where you should have gone to recruit them, so for Leo you'd want it to pan over Mt. Zozo (and you'd want to change Cyan's to pan over Doma).
  Find

Status
None
For Leo, maybe Maranda if solo or Mobliz if he shares with Terra?
  Find

Status
None
I originally planned to have Leo share an ending with Terra, but I just can't figure out a good way to do it that doesn't break the timing with the music. I had mis-remembered Terra's ending as being the final one, and I was planning to cut out the "And You" to make room for Leo to have a few lines, but it turns out that Terra is smack dab in the middle. Because of that, I'm actually going to have Leo's ending play first, during the 39-second intro. It doesn't leave a TON of time (16 seconds for the namecard display and 20-23 seconds for an actual ending), but I think I can do something good. I think Terra will be in his ending (since she is a required character), and then I'll add a quick branch that sticks him into Terra's ending as a non-speaking character if you have him recruited.

C-Dude Wrote:As for 'showing hometowns', the missing character ending actually shows you where you should have gone to recruit them, so for Leo you'd want it to pan over Mt. Zozo (and you'd want to change Cyan's to pan over Doma).

That's actually not quite true. Cyan's ending already shows Doma castle. Shadow, Relm, and Strago all show Thamasa, even though none of them are recruited in Thamasa. But actually, Gau's shows the Crescent Moon Cave, which also isn't available in the WoR, so maybe that gives me my answer.

Projects:
  Find