Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
C. V. Reynolds Bug-Fix Compilation and Script Fix

Threads: 3
Thanks Received: 4
Thanks Given: 3
Status
None
Heyyyy. Sorry I disappeared for a month (HOW'D THAT HAPPEN?). I was busy with this and that. Also I fell down. BOOM. Smashed up the right side of my body. Bruises are finally healing after weeks. Sad

I've planned to split the bug-fix into sections for a while (to make it modular), but never got around to it. I may still do that. Of course it would go faster if someone else did the research. I'm so slow after all.

As mentioned before, I have a new version of the bug-fix comp ready. I don't want to erase everyone's comments in this thread, so I wouldn't want this thread deleted. Perhaps the file can be erased and the thread locked for posterity? Then I'd do a new topic. If that's not good for whatever reason, I can post the update here in this thread too. Whatever you'd like. :3

Thank you all for the warm greeting, by the way. Sorry again for vanishing and not seeing it till now.

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
(10-30-2018, 01:13 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: As mentioned before, I have a new version of the bug-fix comp ready. I don't want to erase everyone's comments in this thread, so I wouldn't want this thread deleted. Perhaps the file can be erased and the thread locked for posterity? Then I'd do a new topic.

That sounds good! I'll lock this thread once your new thread is created.
  Find

Threads: 49
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 4
Status
None
(10-30-2018, 01:13 PM)CVReynolds Wrote: I've planned to split the bug-fix into sections for a while (to make it modular), but never got around to it. I may still do that. Of course it would go faster if someone else did the research. I'm so slow after all.

I'm happy to help with this. Your bugfix handles 5 main things.

1. Battle System
2. Battle Animations
3. Events
4. Dialogue
5. Maps

1, 2, and 3: For compatibility, Battle System, Animations, and Events are fairly easy. Patches to these change individual bytes, and leave everything else alone. They only conflict if the patch they are combined with has edited those exact same bytes. You could even combine Battle System and Animations, as the 2 play into each other so much.

4. Dialogue - Major compatibility issues. Adding a single byte changes the entire pointer table. If a single patch in the package contains a dialogue change, it is rendered mostly incompatible with every other dialogue patch. One alternative to releasing an IPS patch would be to export the script from FF3usME.

5. Maps - The biggest for compatibility issues. Maps are compressed, meaning that changing one tile changes the compression of multiple maps. Map edits are, to my knowledge, entirely incompatible with one another.

If I were releasing the patch, I would release it in 3 parts.
1. Battle System and Battle Animations (This patch would probably be used by 80% of the hack projects out there)
2. Events and Dialogue (two very different things, but they go hand-in-hand)
3. Map Corrections (including Battle Maps)

Projects:
FFVI: Divergent Paths (Completed) - a complete storyline and gameplay hack of FF6 that adds Leo as a playable character
  Find

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to PowerPanda for this post:
  • CVReynolds (11-04-2018)

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
Brave
(10-30-2018, 06:27 PM)PowerPanda Wrote: If I were releasing the patch, I would release it in 3 parts.
1. Battle System and Battle Animations (This patch would probably be used by 80% of the hack projects out there)
2. Events and Dialogue (two very different things, but they go hand-in-hand)
3. Map Corrections (including Battle Maps)

I would love to see this patch broken into chunks like this.
  Find

Threads: 279
Thanks Received: 233
Thanks Given: 56
Status
Tissue-aware
I'm sending this thread to the graveyard.. The new version of the patch can be found here:

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3764.html
  Find