Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
FFVI - Children of Vector

Threads: 83
Thanks Received: 55
Thanks Given: 7
Status
Obliviscence
Oh noes! A new game-breaking bug in CoV!

Find

Threads: 11
Thanks Received: 22
Thanks Given: 13
Status
Double
Death of a thousand cuts, truly. Tongue

Confused Moogles FTW

Threads: 12
Thanks Received: 0
Thanks Given: 12
Status
None
Keep it in, just for kicks. XD

If you ever feel useless, just remember that Umaro has an MP stat.
  Find

Status
Obliviscence
So I'm trying to finish up Trance for Lorial, and as you know, it uses custom AI scripts... So what I'd like to get from you guys are some suggestions for how to fill them out. Each AI is based off of the characters in the current party. So for the purposes of this discussion, what would make sense to give a magic-inclined out-of-control oracle based on the characters I've really shown off so far: Wedge and Vicks (under the heading Imperial Soldier), Lorial (Oracle), and Vargas (Matial Artist)? Here are some categories I want to consider...
  • Some kind of one-off first or second round cast
  • basic abilities, types of AI structure (can be different for each character)
  • special conditionals (HP or MP maybe?)
  • counter scripts
Keep in mind this is a PC, so I don't want to go too over the top, and don't take MP cost or attack damage into account, as I am more-or-less normalizing those when under the Trance effect, so we are looking purely at flavor here.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? I am not the most experienced enemy script coder. Also, keep in mind I have the Monster AI Upgrade patch applied, so we've got some bonus conditionals, most notably, weakness and resistance checking. Also, I am not opposed to writing more AI commands if they are useful enough.

Help me out!
  Find

Status
None
Okay so, one thing I'd like to ask. Will there be a scene where we get to name Vicks and Wedge? There doesn't seem to be a smooth point where we'd be able to smoothly name the two during the Narshe sequence, because they're introduced at the same time, and having two characters having a naming screen right after the other seems a little awkward. And it'd seem a little off if the player couldn't name them since all the other permanent party members can be named. I love how THAT'S what's been bugging me this whole time, and not something actually important. XD Laugh

Find

Status
Obliviscence
Actually, just last night I added Namingway during the weekly stream. Here's the video right at the end where I show the finished event. Skip to 1:25:22 for the event. So there will be a mix of characters that get regular naming sequences, and some that can only be named with Namingway.

Find

Threads: 56
Thanks Received: 13
Thanks Given: 84
Status
Atma
still i must say that to me it sounds cooler to name them after the fight with Tritotch, because it's a nice surprise effect for the
new player: he expects to see the usual hack that continues like in vanilla, and then, voilà the actual main characters are vicks and wedge!
that's the cool thing to me.
If you name them since the beginning it's like admitting that the two soldiers won't be just 2 random guests and you lose the surprise effect
Just my point of view.

THE GREATEST CHALLENGE OF ALL TIMES AWAITS:
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2593
DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES TO SLAY A GOD?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenkarider's project #2 is started: FF6 Curse of the Madsiur Joke (CotMJ)
http://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2755
What happens when Madsiur tweaks your account? This full game hack will show that!
  Find

Status
None
But at that point, you already know their names, and if you changed their names to "Soldier" or "?????" for that part of the game, it still makes it obvious that they're the main characters.

Find

Status
Obliviscence
Yeah, I went back and forth on this exact issue for a while in the earliest stages of planning. For a while, we were just going to have certain characters (like Wedge and Vicks) just not be rename-able.... but the inconsistency bugged me, so i briefly considered not being allowed to name ANYONE... but that would be dumb because I like the intro sequences. I feel like they set the mood for the character. So then I thought about making Rename Cards more readily available before finally coming to the realization that I could use Namingway similar to FF4. I think it's the best solution.

But, like Tenka said, I loved the feeling of doing the opening sequence identically to vanilla then waking up as Wedge and Vicks... in order not to break that feeling, there was no way to do a standard naming intro for them.
  Find

Threads: 0
Thanks Given: 0
Status
None
Just turned in the script for big events in South Figaro... What?!

"The Mind that lies fallow but a single Day, sprouts up in Follies that are only to be killed by a constant and assiduous Culture."
- Joseph Addison, "The Spectator"  Confused
  Find