FF6 Hacking
Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Magitek Research Facility (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-9.html)
+--- Thread: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ (/thread-807.html)

Pages: 1 2

Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - xJCSx - 12-02-2010

Well um, I really thought that this would be a relatively easy thing to do.
I'm wanting to make it where Locke can only equip Katanas.
Now there's actually two alternatives that I thought of.
I'm using SwdTech(now named RapidFire) as my RpdFire technique for Bartz.
BUT, pertaining to tried and true FFV, Bartz is not exactly the ninja type, his weapons should be swords. But, of course, unless you're wielding Katanas, you can't use SwdTech in battle.
Now I came up with 2 options to fix this dilemma:

My First Method:
Find a way to make it where Bartz can only equip Katanas so he can use SwdTech.

Second Method:
Find a way to make the SwdTech command allow you to ONLY wield Swords, not Katanas. The data that is saying "only Katanas are allowed" IS somewhere and if I can find it, I presume I'd either NOP it and make it where you can wield anything, OR find the ID for "Sword" and replace it where Katana's was.

Back to my first option:
But after murdering FF3usME for anything related to what characters can and can't equip, I couldn't find anything.
So I looked through the C0, C1, and C3 bank disassembly but couldn't really find anything, save for something concerning Umaro. Confused
I know it's possible, I've seen Eternal Crystals where certain characters can only equip certain things, but I'm fresh outta ideas :/

And the reason I was even considering my second alternative was to make Bartz seem more..Knight-Like lolz instead of a ninja.
Just trying to stick with the personality Tongue
So yeah guys, if you have the answer to either one of those or BOTH, please tell me.
Thanks so much guys! Smile

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - PSIDarkForceBeta - 12-02-2010

Stick With me here How about you use FF3usME and make it so that you switch the swords with Katanas (note may not work with all swords because there may be more swords than Katanas)
Remember the Item editor

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - xJCSx - 12-02-2010

Ah thanks Zerik, I haven't got a clue why I just presumed the Item Editor only edited Items lolz it works for everything! Thanks man!
I guess I'll just trade over the MDE bytes for the Sword effects and replace them with the Katanas. So that way they look just like swords while technically being a Katana.
Ha idk but this is great!

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - Angelo26 - 12-03-2010

(12-02-2010, 08:56 PM)xJCSx Wrote: Ah thanks Zerik, I haven't got a clue why I just presumed the Item Editor only edited Items lolz it works for everything! Thanks man!
I guess I'll just trade over the MDE bytes for the Sword effects and replace them with the Katanas. So that way they look just like swords while technically being a Katana.
Ha idk but this is great!

The piece of code you want is this one:

(SwdTech)
C2/0560: B9 A4 3B LDA $3BA4,Y (Special properties for right-hand weapon slot)
C2/0563: 19 A5 3B ORA $3BA5,Y ('' for left-hand)
C2/0566: 89 02 BIT #$02 (is Swdtech allowed by either hand?)
C2/0568: F0 E5 BEQ $054F (if not, don't use Swdtech as command)
C2/056A: AD 20 20 LDA $2020 (index of highest known Swdtech?)
C2/056D: 1A INC (# of known Swdtechs)
C2/056E: 20 65 4B JSR $4B65 (Pick a known Swdtech)
C2/0571: 18 CLC
C2/0572: 69 55 ADC #$55 (first Swdtech is #85, Dispatch)
C2/0574: 60 RTS

I think what you need to change is over the line
C2/0566: 89 02 BIT #$02 (is Swdtech allowed by either hand?)
I'm guessing the "02" bit is equivalent to Swdtech, you can change it to anything you like.

I still think the animation will be a katana, and I'm not too sure how to handle that part. But hope this helps a little.
EDIT:

Swdtech

C2/1847: BB TYX
C2/1848: A5 B6 LDA $B6 (Battle animation)
C2/184A: 48 PHA
C2/184B: 38 SEC
C2/184C: E9 55 SBC #$55
C2/184E: 85 B6 STA $B6 (save unique index of SwdTech. 0 = Dispatch,
1 = Retort, etc.)

Maybe the battle animation can be changed in
C2/1848: A5 B6 LDA $B6 (Battle animation) ???

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - xJCSx - 12-03-2010

Thanks Angelo, I'm not sure how you found this lol I did a CTRL F search for anything concerning SwdTech but didn't really come up with anything except for some integer increments :/
But I just NOP'd the 02 byte and all worked perfect.
I've limited Locke (Bartz) to just swords but technically SwdTech can be used by any weapon..Even unarmed haha but this is fine.
And the animation thing is fairly challenging. I looked into your bytes that you provided but anything that involves changing animations via hex is a little hard for me.
But I swear I read somewhere about FF6MDE having the animation for SwdTech but it's just not labeled.
I know I saw someone mention that on a forum so yeah definitely looking for that Tongue
Wink
xJCSx

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - FEOK - 12-03-2010

there is something in ff3usme that lets u choose what weapons can use swdtech

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - DjinnAndTonic - 12-08-2010

Wow, making it way too complicated man.

Like FEOK said, just use FF3usME. There's a flag that determines whether a weapon allows SwdTech to be used or not. It's in the second page of the Item Editor. You can technically make it so that every weapon in the game allows SwdTech to be used just by toggling the checkbox that says 'SwdTech'.

Hopefully you didn't already start playing around with hex-editing when there's a much easier solution... >.>;;

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - Angelo26 - 12-08-2010

Gomen Nasai, Djinn-san Sad

Actually since I don't mess up with the weapons at all I wasn't aware that this option was available.

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - DjinnAndTonic - 12-09-2010

Saa, ii yo. Mou yurushita yo.

But you really should play around with the FF3usME editor more. No sense repeating the work that someone else has already done, you know?

RE: Can't Believe I'm Having to Actually Ask This:/ - xJCSx - 12-09-2010

Sorry for the late reply guys but Thanks FEOK and Tonic, didn't notice it! I guess me and Angelo are just hardcore that way lolz
But thanks all the same Angelo, it's the thought that counts!
And yeah it's not that I don't like FF3usME, it's just....man idk something about a GUI that doesn't make me feel like I'm doing it right. I know that should be the opposite xD but yeah I'm gonna keep digging.
Oh and right now, I was wondering - do you know a way to make the Magitek slot in Terra's bank completely empty? I didn't wanna start a new thread and this is kinda pertaining to the original.
But I found a spell called "????" but it's not actually an "empty" spell - it has nothing to it and the caster misses when cast.
FEOK told me you could go into older FF3usME's but I'm not quite sure how to do that...There's no "Battle" button in FF3usME 6.60 and below. I assume he meant below the entire bank of the betas.
But yeah if that requires hex editing, I'm willing. Wink