FF6 Hacking
Best Music Poll - Printable Version

+- FF6 Hacking (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussion Forums (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Vector, Imperial Capital (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-58.html)
+---- Forum: Polls (https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/forum-61.html)
+---- Thread: Best Music Poll (/thread-577.html)

Pages: 1 2

Best Music Poll - Zeemis - 08-21-2010

What's the best music from a Final Fantasy out of the choices available in this poll?
This is an opinion poll of course.

RE: Best Music Poll - SSJ Rick - 08-21-2010

whoo thats a tough 1 man

um I'll get back 2 u on that

RE: Best Music Poll - Gi Nattak - 08-21-2010

While I do love FFVI music beyond words, I enjoy IV's better mainly for the overworld theme, town, and battle/boss music.

RE: Best Music Poll - HaloOfTheSun - 08-26-2010

A fair warning: I'm a composer by profession, so this post is going to be a bit lengthy. tl;dr at the bottom. Smile

While I absolutely hate everything else about the game, VIII is Uematsu's most mature and musically significant work. He uses a lot of sophisticated techniques and compositional styles in the soundtrack, and it's pretty impressive considering the vast majority of his music in every other game is, well, the opposite really (though I will say I really hate J-Pop and have never been able to forgive VIII for forcing it on us once in several FFs after this).

But VI gets my vote, because while overall VIII's soundtrack is technically better and more mature, it's also overall more boring, while most of VI's soundtrack is entertaining the whole way through. VI is also the highpoint in Uematsu's FF soundtracks as far as leitmotif goes (the use of themes for characters and locations), in that he expertly weaves themes in and out of other pieces and even other themes. "Dancing Mad" is an excellent example of this. While many people are aware of the various themes from the game meshed into the piece, almost everyone seems to miss all the subtle quotations of other themes. Nearly every character's theme is quoted at some point in the first three movements, though almost all of them are hardly noticeable. This is fitting though, considering there is no real main character of the game. I think the only ones that aren't quoted are Relm's, Gogo's and Umaro's themes. I can't remember off the top of my head, but Strago and Mog's themes might also be missing. Of course, most of the themes aren't recognizable to most people because the whole piece is mostly a variation on "Kefka's Theme", with a little bit of the "Opening Theme" thrown in too. Mixing other character themes, which are mostly of a lighter nature, into the sinister and dark variation on Kefka's Theme is obviously not going to make them stand out too much.

And let's not forget the "Ending Theme", with it's outstanding variations on Setzer's theme and beautiful takes on Terra's Theme.

Anyway, as a quick summary of others:

FFI: Have to respect it for the Prelude (although that version is just the scales and is quite boring) and the Final Fantasy theme. Otherwise it's a very immature and subpar effort (yes, even considering some other classic songs from the game).
II: A major improvement. Uematsu seemed to really start taking the composition role a bit more seriously at this time, whether that's true or not I don't know, but through the music it seems that way. As an aside, the "Main Theme" is one of my favorite pieces from a video game. It's too bad it doesn't get much attention or remixes.
III: Uematsu's dark side really shows in this one. And by that I don't mean "evil" or anything like that, just that the music is very atmospheric and moody. This is an excellent example of using the NES' capabilities for sound to its fullest.
IV: A favorite of mine for its nostalgic value, though there are a lot of duds in this soundtrack. I think I remember in an interview him saying it was due to the game as a whole being rushed, and him not having much time to get used to the new capabilities of the SNES and such. All things considered he did an excellent job.
V: Lots of mixed feelings on this one. There are some pieces that are absolutely beautiful. Then there are others that are just dreadful. There was a lot of potential here, but ultimately I think Uematsu missed his mark here. A more experienced composer could have done great things with some of these themes.
VII: Much like the game itself, completely overrated. Still good, but not as good as it should have been. Uematsu hit his stride in VI, and he should have kept the momentum going into VII, but he didn't. A lot of the pieces just don't make sense musically, the instrumentation is questionable and about half of the soundtrack is just forgettable. Yet because of three songs ("Aeris' Theme", "Main Theme", "One-Winged Angel"), most people act like this is a masterpiece. As good as those are, and that's debatable, that doesn't make up for the rest of the soundtrack. Like I said, good, but not great.
IX: My second favorite game in the series, yet at the same time, due to the nature of the game it hurts the soundtrack a bit. IX went for a less mature feeling than VII and VIII (not in a bad way, just a more fun and cartoonish way), and the soundtrack had to reflect that. Not to mention that since IX was an homage to the other games in the series, the soundtrack had to be as well, and Uematsu thus reused a lot of music from previous games. If IX's soundtrack didn't include that stupid J-Pop song, I think the soundtrack could have been better overall, not having to rely on quoting it in every other piece, but oh well.
X: LOL awful

RE: Best Music Poll - Zeemis - 08-27-2010

You skipped VI lol

RE: Best Music Poll - LordSutebenu - 08-27-2010

I hope you are not referring Melodies of Life as a "stupid j-pop" song... I have always loved that song and I believe it to be a very pretty ballad. Apparently you haven't heard enough "horrible j-pop" songs to know what is and isn't a "j-pop" song. I shall respectively disagree with your statement and find your "professional" opinion to be rather lacking in depth. If you were truly a professional composer then I would simply have to debate nearly everything you said in here for there wasn't much mention of the technical qualities of each game but rather you seemed to have used your status as a "professional composer" as a way to impart your opinions in a more meaningful way, a way of which I find to be both shallow and unnecessary.

RE: Best Music Poll - Gilgameshversion - 08-27-2010

9 gets my vote considering I am a bass player myself it realy did justice with good bass/drums and in my favourite songs for the game like the battle theme, boss theme, hunters chance, zidanes theme, dark(messeneger)ness of eternity and the almighty grand cross.

since i havent fully played it (shame on me I know sutebenukun) I still know that FF9 had in my opinion, THE BEST SOUNDTRACK EVERAZ!!!

heres my review of the overs.

1 - Only rememberable tracks are the Main Theme, Overworld, final dungeon theme and final boss theme.

2. Only liked 1 song and its in my top 10 of best FF music : battle scene 2.

3. Great soundtrack loved cloud of darkness battle theme.

4. Awesome again best would have to be, battle theme, boss theme, battle with the four fiends, zeromus and golbez's theme

5. clash on the big bridge....enough said.

6. Great overall best would have to be Dancing Mad, Boss theme, Battlw theme, battle to the death and kefka's theme! Laugh

7. only songs likeable IMO are those who fight further, jenova and OWA

8. OMGKITTEN, boss theme, the extreme, premonition and (black mages version) maybe im a lion.

9. we will we will ultima you!

10. hmm........zanarkand and otherworld are my fav's there but all the seymour fights and the fight with the summoned beasts is up there.

11. im saying horrible never heard it tho.

12. gay minus clash on the big bridge remix

13. only heard the battle theme...KICKASS!!!!

RE: Best Music Poll - Akai - 08-28-2010

Might as well review them myself, too.

1. It's not Uematsu's first pieces, but considering him working with very limited technology, not a bad effort at all. True, he could have done a LOT more, but we get to see it later in the series.

2. Love the Main Theme. As a whole, can't remember anything too noteworthy.

3. Ahhh, "Legend of the Eternal Wind," how I <3 you so. The battle themes were pretty spectacular, too. Many greats songs here, and some...well....ugh. I'd give it a 4/5.

4. VERY good songs here. Didn't know he was actually rushed here. I couldn't tell, personally. Here we finally hear a more complete version of the prelude (aka "The Crystals").

5. Not too many good songs, here, and some really awful ones, too. I'd almost say this is one of his worst tracks, personally. Only a handful really stick out.

6. I'd have to say a masterpiece here. Almost every song here created mood and ambiance and fit really well on screen. The only flaw I can think in the entire one is the main battle song because it's pretty boring as a whole. Sure, some uplifting parts, but...eh. Boss theme totally makes up for it. FF6 as a whole, regardless, was something fresh and new and entertaining. :3

7. There are some good ones, but...ummm...that's it? Main theme's okay at best, what's Cloud's theme again? I couldn't tell you. In fact, all I remember are Nanaki's and Vincet's and Aeris's themes. And of course, the one winged angel. Jenova's a little too techno. At least battle theme this time around was more entertaining. Boss...eh.

8. Some good songs but not a whole lot. Way too many boring ones, such as the overworld, battle (excluding "man with the machine gun," oddly enough), etc. Mature is a good way of putting it, but, I'd give it a 3/5 overall. Some really good ones and many forgettable ones.

9. Some beautifully memorable ones, and some okay ones. I can't seem to remember, but nothing bad. "Vala de Flamenco" was good.

10. For the most part...eh. Save for like 3 songs, the rest were just bland. Those three are "Road to Zanarkand," the battle theme, and....I guess "Sudeki-dane (sp?)."

11. I've only heard "Memoro de Stono"...remix. Loved the remix. =^.^=;;;;

12. Eh....the whole game was "eh," too.

13. Battle theme was nice..once you get to that really short exciting part. Otherwise...eh. If I could tolerate more of the game, I would critique this part better. :/

My vote goes to FF6.

RE: Best Music Poll - kefkaroth - 09-05-2010

ff 1 only theme i liked was chaos battle for the later ff 1 remakes especially on psp.
ff 2 the dark emperor is another theme i also liked on this game was pandemonium for the remakes.
ff 3 my favs were crystal tower slyx,dark world,boss battle and the final battle with cloud of darkness. some others were ok.

ff 4 tied as my 3rd fav of the series very nice soundtrack with the likes of golbez,4 fiends appearances and their boss theme,tower of bab-il,big whale,boss theme and the intro theme of cecil and the red wings were some of my favs.

ff 5 had a fairly good track my favs were both ex death battle themes,world map 2 and 3,dark daze cave theme,dragon valley,gilgamesh battle theme and ex death castle theme v1.

ff 6 my fav game and soundtrack of the series liked 99% of the soundtrack. the only one i hated was gau's theme but these days thats starting to take a bit of a liking to me.

ff 7 my 2nd fav of the series like ff 6 and ff 4 i liked almost every track in this game but a couple. i hated the world map v2 the meteor arriving theme and the regular battle theme also wasnt big on the shinra v2 theme. loved judgement day and birth of a god as well as 1 winged and the shinra v1 theme. also loved the boss battle and the forgotten city themes.

ff 8 as much as i disliked this game i will admit that there were some tracks that really got to my enjoyment like the extreme,the battle with the sorceress',laguna battle and the boss battle. i also like the cave theme when u search ifrit.

ff 9 tied with ff 4 i really liked a geat deal in this game mostly grand cross necron,black mage village,alexandria,battle theme,world map 2(disc 4),amarant(my man)and all of kuja's themes.
i also liked the airship theme as well as invading dragons theme when entering the final dunegon as well as zidane's theme when he becomes disturbed in pandemonium. as well as the crystal theme,cid's castle and beatrix battle terra and bran bal themes and pandemonium.

ff 10 there were some good ones i enjoy liked yunalesca battle,auron theme,boss theme,otherworld,yu yevon(despite being the worst ff final battle ever). others were via purifco and seymour's final battle.

ff 11 never played it and likely never will
ff 12 after the first 3 hours i was done with this game so not much to explore here.
ff 13 havent played it yet dont know if i will either.

RE: Best Music Poll - Ultima - 01-31-2011

To me, as for the soundtrack in whole, FFVI, FFVIII, and FFX are my favourites, most notably FFVIII.